Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can someone help me install a shift knob?!?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/11, 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me install a shift ****?!?

I'm pretty **** frustrated.

I ordered a brand new shift **** from speedawg and I was very excited. However, there seems to be a disconnect between them and I. I have the shift **** and I have their version of jammer nut and adapter. Here's the pic

Name:  oJ1nf.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  22.4 KB

What the hell is that? I thought it was a jammer nut and a washer. How is that the adapter? I don't see how I can screw any of that on the shifter without that plastic piece (adapter) that covers the metal part. I thought a jammer nut and adapter looked like this!

What am I holding in my hand? What is that plastic pieace called so it covers the shifter and goes to the shift ****? Is there some way to assemble this crap together?
Old 9/26/11, 08:24 PM
V6 Member

Here's another example, shift **** and adapter!

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index...oducts_id=1092

What the heck did they supply me with? I called them and told them I didn't receive the adapter so they apologized and sent me the same thing im holding in my hand in that pic.
Old 9/26/11, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm guessing the shifter and **** are different threads. Screw the nut on the shifter, then thread on the brass adapter. Then screw on the ****. You adjust the jam nut back just enough to align the markings on the ****.
Old 9/26/11, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what the threaded part is for but the nut goes on the shifter. It's so you can center the **** with the top patern looking like it should and not off center as the **** might tighten on with the top pattern sideways. I've attached a pic of how it should look. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 9/26/11, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

Thanks hytek. But wheres my part that goes from that nut to the boot?? What is that called? I thought that was the adapter.
Old 9/26/11, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Assuming this is the website, with the various adapters:
https://www.speeddawg.com/shift-****-adapters

You are getting this, the freebie *shift ball adapter*. It is important to understand that concept, they have done you NO WRONG by allowing your new shift ball to adapt to the stick:
https://www.speeddawg.com/shift-****...-adapter-kit-3
and it looks like the left one, but it's not important. The jam nut goes on first, the sleeve adapter goes on the stick, then you screw the ball onto that sleeve adapter, and jam it. How the boot would apply here is...well... I don't know.

Which is why, obviously, you would rather have this:
https://www.speeddawg.com/shifter-bo...g-wide-opening
Which is NOT an shift ball adapter, per se, but a *shift boot retainer*. They are different, and it's unfortunate they are mis-named like they are in many places.

You will have to pay for it, I imagine. I don't know why they would, if you did in fact tell them what kind of car it was going in, not tell you and offer it for sale right then.

But I see no wrong, being from the outside of the situation. You and/or they simply didn't know something about the other, I suspect.

Hope that helps.
Old 9/26/11, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Houtex beat me to it. It's the retainer that holds the boot up. Mine came with the **** and boot as a package from Stage3 Motorsports. I know you can find them separately, but make sure they'll work with your shift boot, if not it'll get bunched up and interfere with shifting.
Old 9/27/11, 04:59 AM
V6 Member

But theyre selling an incomplete product. I paid $80 for this and i cant even install it since half of my shifter is showing and it looks ugly! Everyone else sells the plastic part as an adapter but theirs is POS. What gives
Old 9/27/11, 05:12 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Try MGW's website. What you bought was a universal ****. I'm sure some of our venders here have what you need also.
Old 9/27/11, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
They did NOT sell you an incomplete product. They do not include the shift boot retainer as part of the deal. You want them to send one with every shift ball regardless of which car it might be intended for, or better yet, regardless of whether the person *already has a boot retainer* and is just changing the **** itself, and only, out?

Nope, I see no problem, beating a dead horse here, sir, you need to let it go and deal. Send it back if it bothers you that much. I mean, they DID send you two adapters... sounds like they're pretty dang reasonable overall.