2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Can door be opened with battery disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/11 | 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Can door be opened with battery disconnected

On a coupe, if the windows are seated all the way up, and the battery is disconnected, can the doors be opened without breaking the glass?

Normally the windows drop themselves a tad when the door handle is pulled, but if the battery is disconnected I want to make sure no damage is done if the door is opened.
Old 2/7/11 | 09:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

A good question...not sure here but the dealership from which I bought my 2011 had a 2008 Gurney edition moldering away unpurchased in the show room for.. well..at least two years as of last summer! It had been there sufficiently long to kill the battery and the windows had dropped to their door-open position.

If this is indeed what happens when the battery dies, folks who store their cars outside need to beware.
Old 2/7/11 | 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
On a coupe, if the windows are seated all the way up, and the battery is disconnected, can the doors be opened without breaking the glass?
Yes. I found this out after an ice storm when my windows froze. It's just harder to open and close the doors.
Old 2/7/11 | 10:11 AM
Needs to be more Astony

when we keep the cars inside we pull the battery, we pull it while the doors are open so the window stays in that position.

if the car is dead and you have to open the door they do open but doing it over and over will hurt the rubber seal over time
Old 2/7/11 | 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I have found that they still open fairly easily. Closing them can be an ordeal though.
Old 2/7/11 | 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the reassurance of no damage. Opening it one time was my only concern. Car was stored for the winter, but the door was closed prior to the battery being disconnected. Hood was closed all the way.
Old 2/7/11 | 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on the closing ordeal. Found my car at the airport with a dead battery due to the Shaker searching for a CD - 11:30 at night. Luckily the parking lot had a jump box.

I got the door closed but never got the window back into the seal.
Old 2/7/11 | 12:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Does anyone else pine for the days when cars were simpler? Yeah, they're safer, more efficient and more comfortable than ever and even performance has improved on the average despite the ballooning weight...

But I'd be PERFECTLY happy with a brand new 1970 Mustang to drive every day. I don't mind rolling up my windows, mechanical throttle linkages, non ABS brakes, manual steering, etc. Up until a few years ago, I daily-drove my 1973 Dodge Dart and found it completely livable and refreshingly simple.

Sorry for the rant. I love my 2011... but I could do without the complexity.
Old 2/7/11 | 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MRGTX
But I'd be PERFECTLY happy with a brand new 1970 Mustang to drive every day. I don't mind rolling up my windows, mechanical throttle linkages, non ABS brakes, manual steering, etc. Up until a few years ago, I daily-drove my 1973 Dodge Dart and found it completely livable and refreshingly simple.

Sorry for the rant. I love my 2011... but I could do without the complexity.
Sometimes, until I remember the hours of screwing around with dual-points to get it running right, sweating my nuts off with 4-60 air conditioning (4-windows, 60-miles-per-hour), finicky choke plates and jumping the starter solenoid in the winter and doing the mad window-crank manouever at toll booths in the rain while trying to maintain contol of my car and blind spots you could hide an apartment buiding in ('72 Torino Sport (Sportroof/fastback).

So it's really a mixed bag. I guess the thing I really miss the most is working on the car without a computer involved and not having to half-disassemble the car to get the spark plugs out. I remember when there was so much extra room under the hood that I once changed a water pump on my 302 in the rain but kept perfectly dry. You popped the hood, threw a big canvas tarp over the hood and it made a perfectly good tent/portable garage bay. You just sat on the rad support and worked between your legs. lol
Old 2/7/11 | 12:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
Sometimes, until I remember the hours of screwing around with dual-points to get it running right, sweating my nuts off with 4-60 air conditioning (4-windows, 60-miles-per-hour), finicky choke plates and jumping the starter solenoid in the winter and doing the mad window-crank manouever at toll booths in the rain while trying to maintain contol of my car and blind spots you could hide an apartment buiding in ('72 Torino Sport (Sportroof/fastback).

So it's really a mixed bag. I guess the thing I really miss the most is working on the car without a computer involved and not having to half-disassemble the car to get the spark plugs out. I remember when there was so much extra room under the hood that I once changed a water pump on my 302 in the rain but kept perfectly dry. You popped the hood, threw a big canvas tarp over the hood and it made a perfectly good tent/portable garage bay. You just sat on the rad support and worked between your legs. lol
Very well put.. It is definitely a mixed bag.
Old 2/7/11 | 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
and blind spots you could hide an apartment buiding in ('72 Torino Sport (Sportroof/fastback).
The only thing I did not like about that car when I owned 1. But the 4V Cleveland and the Top Loader made me forget about the blind spots.
Old 2/7/11 | 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I miss popping the hood and seeing a big blue round air cleaner.
Old 2/7/11 | 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

+1
Old 2/7/11 | 08:41 PM
Banned

Tip of the Day #1: A carton's worth of cigarettes will fit nicely if carefully placed around the carburetor if you ever want to avoid importation duty at the Canadian-US Border **

Tip of the Day #2: If you are trying to use Tip #1 don't "floor it". Your contraband smokes covering the secondaries will at best make the car bog and at worst get ingested into your secondary venturies. **

** Don't ask me how I know this, and don't try this at home.
Old 2/8/11 | 09:11 AM
I Have No Life

I unhook the battery during winter storage,
before doing so, both doors are open for the short-drop.
Doors will open/close freely. As noted above, yes its a PITA if its dead and you open the doors and have to close them in fully up position.

Hint/Help #2... have the doors unlocked prior to disconnecting the battery, and then lock the doors manually after the battery is disconnected.

If you don't, there'll be a nice little surprise waiting for you when you hook the battery back up that can cause head bruises
Old 2/10/11 | 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I unhook the battery during winter storage,
before doing so, both doors are open for the short-drop.
Doors will open/close freely. As noted above, yes its a PITA if its dead and you open the doors and have to close them in fully up position.

Hint/Help #2... have the doors unlocked prior to disconnecting the battery, and then lock the doors manually after the battery is disconnected.

If you don't, there'll be a nice little surprise waiting for you when you hook the battery back up that can cause head bruises
OMG thats alarming !!!
Old 2/14/11 | 05:56 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rodmoe
OMG thats alarming !!!
You're tellin me