Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Camaro fan boy convert

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/10, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro fan boy convert

Howdy,

Long time bowtie/GM guy. Never drove a Stang til this past Tuesday when I had the privilege to drive a '10 & '11 GT back to back. The old 4.6 motor was plenty powerful but it just doesn't get any better than the torque-anywhere 5.0. Living in CA I don't have the paitence to shift around in a 6 spd though I'm sure it's quite nice. Having driven the Camaro SS with tapshift as part of the equipment when going Auto I was afraid I would be quite bored drivng the straight 6 speed slush box in the Stang. My cause for concern was needless to say the least, because in combination with the cars uber lively handling there's very little the porky Camaro has to offer over the Stang. If I ever planned on being a Camaro guy for life I'd say I made the biggest mistake driving the new 5.0, cause I'm lovin' it. Only gripe is the steering wheel doesn't telescope to clear my legs (6'5"). Driving again tomorrow to see if I don't get a little more room with the manual cloth seats.

"five-o" Camaro

Last edited by CA_5.0; 7/2/10 at 09:07 PM.
Old 7/2/10, 09:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome to the club
Old 7/2/10, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I dig both to be honest. But the Mustang won me over with the new body and drivetrain. I've been a life long Mustang fanatic, but can't really say I dislike the F Bodies. Just not my cup of tea.. Congrats and welcome to the dark side...
Old 7/2/10, 11:12 PM
GT Member

No one likes a quitter.

This an accurate depiction of your convert?

Welcome, btw!
Old 7/2/10, 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Both are great cars, but I think it basically comes down to the fact that Ford has had the time to fine tune the Mustang over the past few years and get address almost all of concerns of enthusiasts. They have done an amazing job of listening to their customer base, and it shows in the 2010/11.

The 05-09 was a great car and brought a lot of new people into the Mustang hobby, but it had it's fair share of flaws, and was far from perfect.

I think GM was a bit more focussed on just getting the car to market, and obviously didn't have the benefit of a current model to guide opinions and improve on as with the Mustang. I'm sure they sought input from enthusiasts, but when all there is to refer to is a far outdated model, it has to be hard to really get a sense of the details that matter to your potential buyers.

The Camaro is still a great car considering how it came to be, and I am interested to see the next model. With some fine tuning, it could be an amazing car.
Old 7/3/10, 12:08 AM

The Camaro in it's current form (IMO) though it is a great car, it's also incredibly compromised in the most crucial of ways ("packaging" pretty much covers it- weight, design, etc.). As stated, there's much to be said for the fact the Mustang has had plenty of time to mature in the hands of customers which has no doubt given Ford much of the upper hand in the segment. The Stang gives most of what everyone wants in a pony car with fewer of the drawbacks, and sales numbers reflect the fact.
Old 7/3/10, 06:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgive you sir, proceed.
Old 7/3/10, 06:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by CA_5.0
Howdy,

Long time bowtie/GM guy. Never drove a Stang til this past Tuesday when I had the privilege to drive a '10 & '11 GT back to back. The old 4.6 motor was plenty powerful but it just doesn't get any better than the torque-anywhere 5.0. Living in CA I don't have the paitence to shift around in a 6 spd though I'm sure it's quite nice. Having driven the Camaro SS with tapshift as part of the equipment when going Auto I was afraid I would be quite bored drivng the straight 6 speed slush box in the Stang. My cause for concern was needless to say the least, because in combination with the cars uber lively handling there's very little the porky Camaro has to offer over the Stang. If I ever planned on being a Camaro guy for life I'd say I made the biggest mistake driving the new 5.0, cause I'm lovin' it. Only gripe is the steering wheel doesn't telescope to clear my legs (6'5"). Driving again tomorrow to see if I don't get a little more room with the manual cloth seats.

"five-o" Camaro
Well, that's one nice coming out, nice to see MARO guys crossing onto the other side. Welcome aboard .
Old 7/3/10, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't be a loser with either car. Great American muscle! That's my wife's nick name for me. NO REALLY IT IS. Ok it's not, but it could be.
Old 7/3/10, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

The good old days are right now. We have our pick of naturally aspirated 400+ hp muscle: Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger. I'm glad to see a Mustang convert, but I wouldn't kick any of these cars out of my garage.
Old 7/4/10, 04:30 PM
GT Member

Camaro convert here. I looked at the 2010 SS. Almost bought one in March, glad i didnt. I had my GT at a 2 days car show, it got alot of looks. Ronn
Old 7/5/10, 06:10 AM

I was just over at camaro5, and ran across this thread. I thought this was a good spot to post it.

I thought I was here for a second...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93233
Old 7/5/10, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Some of those posts were pretty biting, and disrespectful. The latest model Mustangs always get looks when there's been a recent styling change. If sales are any indication, then there are probably more 2010 Camaros on the road then there are 2010+ Mustangs. I know on nice weekends I see many Camaros coming down the highway, and usually several 05-09 Mustangs, but I can count on one hand the number of 2010+ Mustangs I have seen in the wild, and one of them is mine, and the only 5.0 I have ever seen in person, so ubiquity arguments I don't give much heed. They're both mass produced vehicles.

They're all good cars really. If any are better the difference is likely small, and one would just have to drive them both to make a decision for themselves, unless they just really like one style more than the other. Why attack the others?
Old 7/5/10, 08:55 AM
FR500 Member

Some of those comments on that Camaro forum were... ugh. I could only agree on one thing they didn't like about the 2010+ Mustang - other than IRS vs. SRA, it's a topic that's been beaten to death already. They just can't seem to accept reality, and that reality will be mostly seeing the 2011+ 5.0 Mustang's rear end more often than not. When it comes to A/T Camaro vs. A/T 'Stang, Camaro doesn't stand a chance.
And welcome to the "Dark Side" (at least as far as the GM fanboys are concerned).
Old 7/5/10, 09:17 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Welcome to TMS!
Old 7/6/10, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
Both are great cars, but I think it basically comes down to the fact that Ford has had the time to fine tune the Mustang over the past few years and get address almost all of concerns of enthusiasts. They have done an amazing job of listening to their customer base, and it shows in the 2010/11.

The 05-09 was a great car and brought a lot of new people into the Mustang hobby, but it had it's fair share of flaws, and was far from perfect.

I think GM was a bit more focussed on just getting the car to market, and obviously didn't have the benefit of a current model to guide opinions and improve on as with the Mustang. I'm sure they sought input from enthusiasts, but when all there is to refer to is a far outdated model, it has to be hard to really get a sense of the details that matter to your potential buyers.

The Camaro is still a great car considering how it came to be, and I am interested to see the next model. With some fine tuning, it could be an amazing car.

Very well put.

Barring any farther collapse in the auto market, I suspect we'll see great things from Camaro in the future...and hopefully from Challenger too. When it comes time to replace my NEW Mustang, I will once again give the other brands their fair shot at my wallet. I spent time in the others before committing to the '11 GT and they're each great machines... but don't feel anywhere near as fine tuned as the Mustang.

I love all three of the current muscle machines but only the Mustang has the right balance of power, handling, tried and true performance platform...and subtle good looks.
Old 7/6/10, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

That was a really good post from Camaro5. I'm a member over there and it's hard to dispute the opinions of someone who owns a Camaro and a Mustang. I think he summed it up pretty well, which reflects the great job Ford of closing the lead the Camaro had until the 2011 was introduced. I think the Mustang is the better value, if you don't load it up with every option.
Old 7/6/10, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
also realize that Ford is the ONLY American, privately owned car company left. Think about that..
Old 7/6/10, 02:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Clino

+1

It's easy to see where the 5+ years of racing development and tuning has paid off in drivability, performance and refinement...I test drove a new '06 back in Sept. '05, and I thought it was pretty good, but not great -- I absolutely refused to believe the '10 I later drove was the same car from the same company...

The Camaro will also benefit from being put through the wringer, but the payoff is 2-3 years away, imo...

And as I said in another thread, it didn't help that the Chevy dealers in the region were being total jerkoffs in thinking they were selling me a special-edition Bugatti

Last edited by Tyrrell-Ford P34; 7/6/10 at 02:48 PM.
Old 7/6/10, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

They still did a pretty good job for all that really. The 2011 Mustang I think has a lot more to offer than the Camaro, but the same couldn't exactly be said for last year's model. That said, a lot of things don't really come out until you hit mass production, so like you said, in a few years, the Camaro will undoubtedly be better. Mustangs probably will too.

Quick Reply: Camaro fan boy convert