2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

A C Died Right On Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/16, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay so I got the car back today. They replaced the compressor, accumulator, valve assembly and drier. They flushed the system and put in fresh freon. They also told me that my next oil change is on the house. I am pleased with the service but at the same time it bothers me that so many cars have A/C systems that are just taking a dump with less than 50K on the clock. I have an uncle who owns a CRV that he has had for 15 years and it's on AC system number 7. Yes 7. I would have got rid of the car after the second one personally but he really likes his CRV. There was a time when an AC system would last just about as long as the car so long as you had it serviced. These days they seem to just last a couple years and you either have a warranty or you shell out a couple grand every couple years on your car. This is not what I would call reliable.
Old 6/1/16, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
I dont know of any kits for the Mustang, and I think that would be a difficult retro fit, fans maybe duct work, electrical, and removing the seat covers, channels in the foam cushion. You would need perforated seat covers for the air to circulate too.

I think it would be easier to replace the entire seat with one that had already was made for it.
Yea lol should have been a little clearer. If the seats from a 15 would work. The wiring for a switch would be the hard part? I know absolutely nothing about cooled seats expect they are awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Rog13GTCS (6/4/16)
Old 6/1/16, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
Okay so I got the car back today. They replaced the compressor, accumulator, valve assembly and drier. They flushed the system and put in fresh freon. They also told me that my next oil change is on the house. I am pleased with the service but at the same time it bothers me that so many cars have A/C systems that are just taking a dump with less than 50K on the clock. I have an uncle who owns a CRV that he has had for 15 years and it's on AC system number 7. Yes 7. I would have got rid of the car after the second one personally but he really likes his CRV. There was a time when an AC system would last just about as long as the car so long as you had it serviced. These days they seem to just last a couple years and you either have a warranty or you shell out a couple grand every couple years on your car. This is not what I would call reliable.
My 98 Jeep Wrangler AC went out at 160k and it was my off-road toy lol got put in mud holes every weekend. Went through wheel bearings but that's part of it. They just don't build cars like they use to. Hope my ac holds up it gets hot in Alabama.
Old 6/2/16, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
My 98 Jeep Wrangler AC went out at 160k and it was my off-road toy lol got put in mud holes every weekend. Went through wheel bearings but that's part of it. They just don't build cars like they use to. Hope my ac holds up it gets hot in Alabama.
Oh you don't have to tell me brother, I'm in the Huntsville area. I totally agree about the heat. lol
Old 6/7/16, 07:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Anyone else considering pulling their AC before it fails? If it's in a box (and properly stored), presumably, it won't croak.

I almost never use my AC...as a matter of fact, I only run it once in a while to preserve the seals, etc. If it's hot enough outside to need it, I'm also concerned about adding to the under-hood temps.
Old 6/7/16, 07:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
wow, that's excessive. And the compressor is only engaged when the AC is turned on or the front defog is set on. You only drive your car in temps below 76? Anything above that, and I die without AC. I don't want to sweat in this car. And I don't like leaving the windows down while on the highway. Too loud.
Old 6/7/16, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Anyone else considering pulling their AC before it fails? If it's in a box (and properly stored), presumably, it won't croak.

I almost never use my AC...as a matter of fact, I only run it once in a while to preserve the seals, etc. If it's hot enough outside to need it, I'm also concerned about adding to the under-hood temps.
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you never use it, why go to extreme lengths to prevent failure?
Old 6/7/16, 07:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
wow, that's excessive. And the compressor is only engaged when the AC is turned on or the front defog is set on. You only drive your car in temps below 76? Anything above that, and I die without AC. I don't want to sweat in this car. And I don't like leaving the windows down while on the highway. Too loud.
Originally Posted by mfc133
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you never use it, why go to extreme lengths to prevent failure?
From what I recall (from that original thread), these things were failing regardless of how much/little they were used. If that's not the case, mine should live for a long, long time. I'm just sick of thinking about it.
Old 6/10/16, 12:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
From what I recall (from that original thread), these things were failing regardless of how much/little they were used. If that's not the case, mine should live for a long, long time. I'm just sick of thinking about it.
Your better bet is to start collecting the parts from Rock Auto. You can get a Four Seasons compressor for $580 instead of going back with the Motorcraft compresser ($209). Start buying the parts and by the time it fails you can just have the shop replace your system with something better as opposed to the Motorcraft stuff.
Old 6/10/16, 07:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Or just get extended warranty.
Your better bet is to start collecting the parts from Rock Auto. You can get a Four Seasons compressor for $580 instead of going back with the Motorcraft compresser ($209). Start buying the parts and by the time it fails you can just have the shop replace your system with something better as opposed to the Motorcraft stuff.
Old 6/16/16, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JonsMustang
Or just get extended warranty.
Sure you can go with the extended warranty. They're going to put motorcraft parts right back on your car. I'm anticipating my car will go another two years and it will fail again.
Old 6/18/16, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
My a/c died on Friday. The power seat died the week before. I now have all of the common failures. I love my car but this week has made me rethink keeping it forever.
Old 6/18/16, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
My a/c died on Friday. The power seat died the week before. I now have all of the common failures. I love my car but this week has made me rethink keeping it forever.
Some cars are easier to keep "forever" than others, and I suspect our Mustang may be more challenging than average. But no matter which car you choose to keep forever or how bulletproof it is, something will happen eventually to make you question the decision. You just gotta love the car to keep going.

That being said, it may be paranoia but others have mentioned smart sparing which may be a good strategy if you're committed.
Old 6/20/16, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

My AC really struggled this weekend to stay cool, even when set to MAX AC. Made me think of this thread and if my compressor is starting to die out lol
Old 6/21/16, 01:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
My AC really struggled this weekend to stay cool, even when set to MAX AC. Made me think of this thread and if my compressor is starting to die out lol
It's either going out or you need to have it serviced and have the coolant recharged. But bet on it going out.
Old 6/21/16, 08:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Regarding "keeping forever" I think that the S197s will fare pretty well compared to other modern cars. Obviously, the simpler the car, the less will go wrong. Those of us with 300A models won't lose sleep over failing power seats, Synch systems, nav screens, etc.

I would guess that a the S550/Ecoboost/Premium/Convertible guys have it 2x as bad as we do. More complexity, more heat, new platform, more problemos.

It's either going out or you need to have it serviced and have the coolant recharged. But bet on it going out.
So wait...having it serviced will delay the failure?

Do we then know why they're failing?

Thanks for any additional info
Old 6/21/16, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

There is no "servicing" of the compressor lol. Either there is internal compressor damage, worn compressor clutch, worn internal bearings etc, or it is low on refrigerant...meaning you have a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.

I think the compressor is just too weak for these cars on a 90+ degree day and it struggles until you've really been driving at 2k rpm with recirc on
Old 6/21/16, 09:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say, from Day One I've been underwhelmed by the A/C in this car compared to my previous compact/subcompact cars with larger cabins to keep cool. It's my DD that I drive more during the summer, so I would hate even the lackluster A/C to go completely out.
Old 6/21/16, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by K.A.I.N
I have to say, from Day One I've been underwhelmed by the A/C in this car compared to my previous compact/subcompact cars with larger cabins to keep cool. It's my DD that I drive more during the summer, so I would hate even the lackluster A/C to go completely out.
:: Knocks on wood ::

I would not call my AC lackluster...

It was 117 this weekend and my 2014 GT was comfortable inside. I had the temperature set to 70. It never shut off, but it did not remain full blast either.
Old 6/22/16, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Been following this thread. Fingers crossed. Going to be in the 90's later this week again. A/C working and cooling fine.

Quick Reply: A C Died Right On Schedule