2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buying a new Mustang from dealer in another state

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/13, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a new Mustang from dealer in another state

I did this with my 2004 F350. Ordered it and took delivery in NY. I got a transport tag to get it home, then went to my local tag office and paid the sales tax, tag and other associated fees.

I'm considering doing this again on a new GT from Texas. The dealer is saying they take care of all that. Has something changed or do other states handle it differently? Input from anyone who has done something like this in recent years would be appreciated.
Old 2/14/13, 02:41 PM
GT Member

It depends on the states. My BMW from NJ needed me to pay taxes here in my home state where as buying from another dealer in Miami, would have needed me to pay taxes there.
Old 2/14/13, 02:44 PM

Different states do different things. I bought my 2010 out of state. You just have to watch out for the different things that each state does. I had to have them redo the paperwork as I was going to pay more taxes than I should.
Just make sure all the paperwork is handled correctly and you should be good.
Old 2/14/13, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mo.karney
It depends on the states. My BMW from NJ needed me to pay taxes here in my home state where as buying from another dealer in Miami, would have needed me to pay taxes there.
I don't think you should have to pay taxes on the vehicle in the state you buy it if you are going to register it in another state.
Old 2/14/13, 03:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on the state laws. OP should check it out before buying. Bought my '12 in IN, live in OH. I paid IN taxes on purchase.
Also need to verify that your home state has a reciprocal tax agreement with the purchase state, otherwise you may have to pay sales taxes twice, once when you purchase & again when you bring the car home & get it titled.

Last edited by aircare84; 2/14/13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2/14/13, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased my 2007 Mustang GT/CS in Denton, TX, and immediately left for South Dakota. The dealer took care of all the paperwork. I did obtain a copy of the SD State tax paperwork for them to speed things up. The tax, and registration fees were included in the deal. They called the county, in South Dakota, where I was registering the car and then faxed them the paperwork, and did a funds transfer. I was given copies of everything and when I arrived back in SD, the plates were waiting for me at the county courthouse.

I did not want to include my tax and registration fees in the financed amount, so I wrote the Texas dealer a check for it.

PM sent to OP.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 2/14/13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2/14/13, 07:14 PM

Thanks everybody. Hopefully this goes works out
Old 2/14/13, 07:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
I found mine in another state and had the dealer local do a transfer, made the paperwork a little easier and I just went and picked it up.
Old 2/14/13, 07:59 PM

When I bought the truck in NY, it was the easiest vehicle purchase I had ever had. I got there and the salesmen made a copy of my DL and a couple other things and took it back to a clerk. I followed him to Rochester to drop off my rental and he took me to lunch. We got back to the dealership, I signed maybe 6 things, and I was out of there in less than 20 minutes. That included the loan paperwork since I financed it with a bank up there. I probably spent longer than that on the phone with him ordering the truck.

I spent another 15 minutes at my local tag office when I got back to Florida. That was it. The whole experience ruined me for future car sales I purchased a Ranger from a local dealer a few years back and was probably there two hours...and I already had the financing.
Old 2/14/13, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by des63
I don't think you should have to pay taxes on the vehicle in the state you buy it if you are going to register it in another state.
No, I needed to pay my states sales tax to the dealer. IDK why so I did not buy from them. They were a sketchy dealer anyways...
Old 2/15/13, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, I've done this for alot of fellow forum members here, when I sold them their Mustangs. I can collect the sales tax for their state, and do all the licensing for their state as well, so its rolled into the loan. This way, the customer leaves my dealership, with a transit tag, and in a few weeks, we overnight (fedex or ups) the plates and you put them on and its all done.

You don't have to bother going to a state DMV or fast tag place to pay the taxes out of pocket, as we get it all done ahead of time. Its more convenient for the customer this way. You don't have to do anything once you leave. We do it all for you. Some dealers can,some won't.
Old 2/15/13, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
+1 to what Jeff said. It's easy as long as you have a good dealer to work with. I bought my '11 used in Wisconsin, paid no sales tax there, drove back to MO, paid taxes there and was all set.