2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/13, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer's Remorse

(not mine!)

I met up with an old friend of mine. He greeted me in the driveway and complimented me on the car.

"Wow, are those pony images coming out of the bottom of the mirror? That's cool"

"Nice leather seats. Does the glass roof open? Oh, it's the whole roof!"

"This is awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?"

So, I told him.

"Hey wait, are you sure about that? That's only $1000 more than my new VW Golf..."

Awkward pause... (I'm trying to keep the grin on the inside).

Old 11/12/13, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Only $1000 more and 1000 times more fun to drive.

Gotta love it!
Old 11/12/13, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Ha! You chose wisely.
Old 11/12/13, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Something similar last spring, everyone Just starting to put there windows down because it's nice out and this guy in a scion Tc pulls up. Yells over to my car. I'm thinking it's gonna be something like let's race, as were both first at the light with a mile ahead of us. And he goes "what did you pay?" I tell him then he tells me and were like 3 grand off. A very justifiable 3 grand. I was just smiling after that
Old 11/12/13, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is why bought mine. Best value for the money.
Old 11/12/13, 12:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my wife says... the only cheque I signed smiling was when i put the down payment down on my stang....
Old 11/12/13, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
makes me wish i got the premium i love my 5.0 but it is a base model, not all the cool stuff.
Old 11/12/13, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I have also surprised a number of people with the price. Absolutely best bang for the buck in terms of performance. Which is what I wanted. A number of boss guys have said the same too after I go thru the list of items included in track pack!
Old 11/12/13, 09:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Mustang GT is a wonderful, powerful driving machine. But the 3.7 with Performance Package really and truly gives the buyer more bang for the buck; it is that seldom-seen happy compromise between power and economy. This is by no means a slap at the V-8; it gives its owner overwhelming horsepower in a nimble package, but that combo comes at a significant price increase. Those who feel that that brutal power/weight factor is worth the added cost opt for the GT-- as is their prerogative. But we V-6 owners have that same s**t-eatin' grin on our faces as they do when we nail that barstid on the interstate on-ramp.
Old 11/12/13, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
makes me wish i got the premium i love my 5.0 but it is a base model, not all the cool stuff.
I feel you. I have a 2012 gt base. Although its awesome to have blank canvas and build it to ur liking (which I have somewhat), I do wish I would have gone with the premium. I especially look at the 13/14 cali special which I love and have been really thinking more about it. So far with what has been released on the 2015 I m leaning more toward a 14, but i m probably going to wait till the final product gets revealed.
Old 11/12/13, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Adding to my previous comment. I have also been dangling the idea around of trading my wifes rav4 for something more fun and keep my 2012 base gt. She told me if I wanted to I could trade her vehicle in for whatever I wanted so long as its within our budget and its not a coupe. Any ideas?
Old 11/12/13, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll admit to having some second thoughts on the price after receiving my factory order in May, but when I compare the price to what others are paying for cars with a lot less power/options, I feel like I got a pretty good value!

I ordered my '14 GT with Track Pack in April after looking at a few '13 Boss cars. The Boss definitely has a cool factor- but I like all the features (and colors) I could choose with the GT. Plus, after installing the Ford Racing Performance Package, the difference in power/handling is pretty close to negligible (I wouldn't have been tracking either car, so they're both overkill for my needs).

The 3.7 is definitely impressive as well- but the 5.0 Coyote is just an awesome power plant (we have one in our F150 as well, and its interesting to note how Ford configures the same engine to have less HP but greater torque in the truck)!
Old 11/12/13, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got a premium v6. I didn't go with the performance package - I went with the Pony Package. However, at the last minute before changes to my order were locked in I discovered I could at the 3.31 gears as well. I'm glad I did. Now that I have it, I feel I've got a lot of power off the line, but I crave more... and I'm curious how the other handling features of the performance pack feel (better tires and brakes, especially).

...so maybe I should have gotten the performance pack, or even a v8 with the track pack? Instead I went with the comfort side of things. It's always greener on the other side!

Last edited by Mrsuitcase; 11/12/13 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11/12/13, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
The Mustang GT is a wonderful, powerful driving machine. But the 3.7 with Performance Package really and truly gives the buyer more bang for the buck; it is that seldom-seen happy compromise between power and economy. This is by no means a slap at the V-8; it gives its owner overwhelming horsepower in a nimble package, but that combo comes at a significant price increase. Those who feel that that brutal power/weight factor is worth the added cost opt for the GT-- as is their prerogative. But we V-6 owners have that same s**t-eatin' grin on our faces as they do when we nail that barstid on the interstate on-ramp.
This. I love my GT Premium to pieces, but the bare truth is that the V6 has finally become not just a completely attractive vehicle, but loaded with options, cool features, great fuel economy, and respectable performance. A friend of mine has a V6 almost loaded to the teeth and paying only $280 a month. 305 horsepower, power everything, 18" wheels, HID headlamps, and 30MPG. It really does strike a chord.
Old 11/13/13, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Ford doesn't really do "premium" very well. I love my GT but I look at it as a brilliant engine with everything needed to legally drive on the street wrapped around it. The owner (real owner, not a lease or in debt on it) of a GTI is not the type of person that would envy pony projectors. It would be like my friend with a 997 C4 complimenting me on my visor accessory clamps.

Last edited by figit; 11/13/13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11/13/13, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by figit
Ford doesn't really do "premium" very well. I love my GT but I look at it as a brilliant engine with everything needed to legally drive on the street wrapped around it. The owner (real owner, not a lease or in debt on it) of a GTI is not the type of person that would envy pony projectors. It would be like my friend with a 997 C4 complimenting me on my visor accessory clamps.
:-) He doesn't have a GTI. He has a Golf "Comfortline".
Old 11/13/13, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
Naaaa, you have a nice car. All the premium package gives you is more gadgetry and gimicktry to repair when it breaks!

John
Old 11/13/13, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
:-) He doesn't have a GTI. He has a Golf "Comfortline".
Ahhh, thanks for the catch, not sure why GTI popped into my head.
Old 11/13/13, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Naaaa, you have a nice car. All the premium package gives you is more gadgetry and gimicktry to repair when it breaks! John
I have a premium and I think it was a bad choice. I was looking at a base but the deal I found swayed me to the premium. Now I'm hooked for life. I don't know if I could buy a car without heated seats and a back up sensor. The engine feeds your speed and the premium feeds your lazy. I like lazy now.
Old 11/13/13, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a base 2014 GT with an automatic transmission and so far I don't regret buying it. I didn't want or need most of what the Premium version included and did not want to pay the extra money for it. I would like to have had Sirius on the radio since I had it on my last car and enjoyed it but I wasn't about to spend the money it would have taken to include it.

One of my reasoning for getting a base GT was other than the price was that I didn't want a bunch of stuff that was going to break later on. I don't care for leather so I didn't want that. I'm still happy with my choice.

Wayne