Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembos, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/10, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The price is great, IMO, because you're not only getting the brake caliper package, you're also getting the sweet Brembo wheels.

As for the brakes themselves, you will probably not need them unless you are doing autox/open-track activity, and their key benefit there is that you have a much wider selection of brake pads available in the Brembo pad shape/size.
Old 3/17/10, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are definatly worth it for the cost, performance and looks.

The only reason that I will not be getting them is due to the "summer only" tires, as I sometimes need to drive in snow and don't want to kill myself, and am not going to spend the $$$ for a set of snows for 10 days a year.
Old 3/17/10, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

My decision for getting them is purely esthetic and like one other poster said: bragging rights.
I won't race or drag race the car. Maybe a light to light boulv. fight once in a while, but that is it.
They look cool, the wheels are nice and tires are summer only, which is exactly what we need around here anyways. No driving for 5-6 months around here. That's the hardest part.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 3/17/10 at 06:55 PM.
Old 3/18/10, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

For what you get, regardless if you will use the components, the pkg. is a steal. For me, no track time but I think I'll get them because the wheels are 19x9 and they do look badarse. I wanted the 19s and would have to spend for them regarding the 2 other wheels offered, so why not get them in a pkg. with unique wheels plus bigger brakes and the summer tires.

As far as replacements costs, they will be more costly but don't anticipate huge coinage.
I looked up the Camaro SS brembo replacements.
front rotors - $130
powerstop premium rear rotors - $100
pads front - $120+
pads rear - $88+
calipers are pricey - saw 4 for $1000(I've never needed a new caliper on any car I've owned)

So figure maybe in the same ballpark and remember only the fronts on the Mustang are brembos.

so maybe 2x the cost for pads and 3x the cost for rotors(I went cheap) as compared to my 2003 GT that I just did all 4 corners last week.

only the calipers are mind blowing.
Old 3/18/10, 10:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread just gave me a great (but obvious lol) idea!

I recently decided I didn't want the 401A interior. But I do want 19's which are $866 invoice. Getting the 19's and 401A would have cost me $1210. Invoice for the Brembo pkg is $1475, for a difference of $265!

So for $265 more than I was originally quoted with, I can get everything I want and the brembo pkg!

Just one more question for you guys, do summer only tires really mean all season tires in So Cal ?
Old 3/18/10, 01:20 PM

Definitely! Any 412hp performance car should have brakes more than equal to the motor -- the engine should never be faster than the chassis in a serious performance car. Just about any modern brakes can stop a car just fine -- once -- as any brakes can lock up the tires on a single hard stop, even the rather insipid brakes of the pre '11 Stangs. However, come hard stop number 2, lap 27 around the track or mile 31 on that mountain back road...

Besides, they look way cool and come resale time, you'll be selling the car with the "wimpy" stock brakes, not the "Brembos."

Perhaps if you only ponder drag racing, which is a test of the motor/drivetrain but little else about a car, then perhaps the stock brakes would be sufficient.
Old 3/18/10, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MontrealStang
I ordered a 2011 GT and when I found out they increased the rotors from 12.4 to 13.2 inches then that was the end of the debate; the extra cost for the 14" and having to put 18" track tires was not worth it besides the increase to 13.2" should suffice my needs !

Did not know they increased the disc size for the regular brakes on the GT is that for '11 or did '10 have it too?... is it the same caliper as 05-09? Thinking disc retrofit when it comes time for new rotors.
Old 3/18/10, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Did not know they increased the disc size for the regular brakes on the GT is that for '11 or did '10 have it too?... is it the same caliper as 05-09? Thinking disc retrofit when it comes time for new rotors.
13.2" is to small for a 3600lb vehicle that may be tracked. My 997 is 13" but there is no weight on the front of the car and the car weights in at just 3200lbs. The Mustang weighs as much as an E92 M3 and that car has 14.2" front rotors.

Dave
Old 3/18/10, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

Just one more question for you guys, do summer only tires really mean all season tires in So Cal ?
There have been alot of questions about summer tires on this forum.

Summer means the tires are not rated for mud or snow.

Also if the temp is under 40degrees f. the summer tires will become hard as rocks. They are not only very dangerous to drive on they will wear out very quickly.

If you live in SoCal I don't think you have anything to worry about....as long as you don't get in a mudslide.
Old 3/18/10, 04:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?
There have been alot of questions about summer tires on this forum.

Summer means the tires are not rated for mud or snow.

Also if the temp is under 40degrees f. the summer tires will become hard as rocks. They are not only very dangerous to drive on they will wear out very quickly.

If you live in SoCal I don't think you have anything to worry about....as long as you don't get in a mudslide.
Thats what I figured no mudslides where I live. I'll probably replace them with the stock all seasons when they wear out anyway
Old 3/18/10, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
2011 ... I'm also hoping the calipers & pads are the same and just the bracket is different (or spindle) so I can use the race pads I already have ... but then again the rotor thickness has also increased
Old 3/18/10, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
13.2" is to small for a 3600lb vehicle that may be tracked. My 997 is 13" but there is no weight on the front of the car and the car weights in at just 3200lbs. The Mustang weighs as much as an E92 M3 and that car has 14.2" front rotors.

Dave
The SN95 Cobras had 13 inch rotors with 390 HP so these rotors should be fine ... remind you this isn't a Porsche either so I don't expect the same braking performance !
Old 3/18/10, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Reguarding the summer only tires. How bad are the gonna be when it gets below 40?
Old 3/18/10, 05:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Reguarding the summer only tires. How bad are the gonna be when it gets below 40?
Bad enough to be too dangerous to drive IMO. The compound will get closer to it its ductile-to-brittle transition temperature and become hard and brittle. Traction, control, and braking response will be reduced significantly
Old 3/18/10, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bad enough to be too dangerous to drive IMO. The compound will get closer to it its ductile-to-brittle transition temperature and become hard and brittle. Traction, control, and braking response will be reduced significantly
Ok thanks for the imput. Looks like I will drive the 07 when it gets cold. Not that my dad will mind taking the 5.0
Old 3/18/10, 06:01 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Ok thanks for the imput. Looks like I will drive the 07 when it gets cold. Not that my dad will mind taking the 5.0
I'm thinking of selling the summer tires for some OEM all seasons and pocketing the difference.....
Old 3/18/10, 06:12 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I'm thinking of selling the summer tires for some OEM all seasons and pocketing the difference.....

I would like to retract this statement due to what I just read here: http://www.insideline.com/features/t...vs-summer.html

Originally Posted by Edmunds InsideLine
To the surprise of exactly no one, our winter tires dominate in snow and the summer tires dominate in the dry. The eye-opener here relates to wet performance, where a well-developed summer tire embarrasses an all-season tire made for the same car by the same folks. Anyone who never sees or visits snow would be very well served by summer tires for year-round use.
Old 3/18/10, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

It varies from one summer tire to the next. All I have for several of my cars are summer only performance tires, and I often drive them in temps down to 25°F in the winter, as long as the roads are clear of snow, ice, and salt, and the forecast doesn't call for any bad weather. They do ok as long as it is dry, but of course they don't have nearly the dry grip they do in the warmer months.

What I've found is that the higher performance the tire is (ultimate warm weather dry grip), the worse they do in the winter, and the more likely the tire will suffer from being driven or even just stored in cold temps. Because of that, I always bring inside the house any relatively fresh race tires and my higher performance summer street tires for the winter. In the past it has been as many as 3 or 4 sets. Drives the wife nuts sometimes, maybe she won't mind me spending the money for insulation and heat in my garage after a few more years of this
Old 3/18/10, 06:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question:

If driven equally, what brake pads will wear out quicker? Stock or Brembos?
Old 3/18/10, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Question:

If driven equally, what brake pads will wear out quicker? Stock or Brembos?
Logic would say the stock ones

Quick Reply: Brembos, worth it?