Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo Rotor question with RTR's

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/10, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo Rotor question with RTR's

guys anyone have any tips as to how to stop my rotors from turning rusty bright orange when i was my car. it leaves ridiculous orange brake dust on my rtr's when i drive it after its dry. i only ask because i have had many brembo kits on other stangs and dont remember them rusting over so bad when getting wet. any help would be apreciatted.
Old 9/21/10, 06:34 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I washed my V-6 last night. I haven't driven it yet and my rotors are nice and rusty LOL!!! I usually take it for a short drive to get some heat into the rotors to keep them from rusting but i didn't this time.

I guess, after washing your Mustang take it for a short drive (use the brakes a few times) so the pads will dry the rotors.
Old 9/21/10, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

ya, I usually do the same ^ and plus i hold off on drying it so that way when you take it for a drive around the block it gets all the water out of the little places all over the car and kinda air dries the car. then i finish it off drying it when i get back
Old 9/21/10, 09:55 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it also has something to do with the compound of the pads. My understanding is that the pads dust really bad and the dust has metal in it and the residue from the pads on the rotors rusts or has some chemical reaction that makes it rurn such bright orange.

You could probably fix this by changing brake pads to a ceramic pad.
Old 9/22/10, 06:49 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I think it also has something to do with the compound of the pads. My understanding is that the pads dust really bad and the dust has metal in it and the residue from the pads on the rotors rusts or has some chemical reaction that makes it rurn such bright orange.

You could probably fix this by changing brake pads to a ceramic pad.
BINGO
Old 9/22/10, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Rotors are cast iron and you can't stop them from rusting. Best to let them dry completely before driving to avoid the rusty water being thrown onto the barrels from the rotor vane area. If it really bothers you , they can be Zinc plated (which seals the rotors and stops the surface rusting in the vane area). This is not very expensive, or rotors are available with this process already done..

Last edited by Modshack; 9/22/10 at 07:16 AM.
Old 9/22/10, 07:18 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by Modshack
Rotors are cast iron and you can't stop them from rusting. Best to let them dry completely before driving. If it really bothers you , they can be Zinc plated (which seals the rotors and stops the surface rusting in the vane area). This is not very expensive, or rotors are available with this process already done..
its not the rotors that are rusting that fast its the pad material that has transfered to the rotor.
My ENTIRE rotor face goes rusty colored within 30 minutes of washing the car .

Its the comound of the factory Ferodo pads thats causing this discoloration

Last edited by Stinger1982; 9/22/10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 9/22/10, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
My ENTIRE rotor face goes rusty colored within 30 minutes of washing the car .

Its the compound of the factory Ferodo thats causing this discoloration
Sorry...All Cars do this. I have 4 cars from 4 different manufacturers with 4 different brake pad materials. All (including the 56 cars I've had before the Mustang) do this including those with ceramic pads. Rotors are CAST IRON. Unprotected cast iron rusts when exposed to water. It's just a thin surface discoloration that scrubs off with the first brake application.

Last edited by Modshack; 9/22/10 at 07:25 AM.
Old 9/22/10, 07:30 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Sorry...All Cars do this. I have 4 cars from 4 different manufacturers with 4 different brake pad materials. All (including the 56 cars I've had before the Mustang) do this including those with ceramic pads. Rotors are CAST IRON. Unprotected cast iron rusts when exposed to water. It's just a thin surface discoloration that scrubs off with the first brake application.
We are talking about something above and beyond what is "normal" I am not retarded i know that all iron rotors rust. This is a film that builds up on the rotor and a large amount of what looks like orange paint flung on the inside of the wheel
Old 9/22/10, 12:01 PM
GTR Member

The rotors on my '04 don't turn bright orange after you wash it, so not ALL cars do this.

Even if I wash it and let it sit the rotors don't just rust up completely across the face like I see the brembo cars do. They may rust a little but it is very spotty, where the water droplets stayed on the rotors but not the entire swept area of the rotor like brembo cars.
Old 9/22/10, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The rotors on my '04 don't turn bright orange after you wash it, so not ALL cars do this.

Even if I wash it and let it sit the rotors don't just rust up completely across the face like I see the brembo cars do. They may rust a little but it is very spotty, where the water droplets stayed on the rotors but not the entire swept area of the rotor like brembo cars.
On a 7 year old car you probably have a fair amount of Pad build-up which insulates the rotor somewhat from the oxidation. Brembo cars, being new probably don't have much of this, and the Brembo rotors are probably a slightly different mettalurgy as well....
Old 9/22/10, 01:14 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

i will take pictures of my wheels the next time they get taken off the car for cleaning. The OP is taking about the brake dust oxidizing on his wheel.

Its the pad build up that oxidies in the 1 hour or so it takes to wash your car, you can see this clear as day.

the same thing happens when your at the track and it rains (race pads have an extremly higher metalic content than street pads and you will get gritty rust on your wheels if they get wet).

modshack, we all know what normal surface corrosion looks like on rotors, every car does it since forever. This is something different.
Old 9/22/10, 01:21 PM
GTR Member

After helping Shaun detail his car and cleaning my wheels as well, it's obvious the pad transfer material is laying on the inner race of the wheel and turn orange. A mild wheel cleaner or stiff bristle brush will remove it from your RTR wheels. The orange color you're seeing is just surface rusting on the wheel from moisture, which is inevitable on any rotor.

This thread is full of confusion, hopefully this clears it up.
Old 9/22/10, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for all the responses. i think its def the pads cause like i said i have had many many cars with various brakes n this is by far the worst.