Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brembo brake package spare wheel/tire??

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/12, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo brake package spare wheel/tire??

I've been looking into putting together a spare wheel/tire that will clear the front Brembo brakes on my '13. I don't want to spend that much, because I'll probably never need it and if I do it will only be on the car for a day or two at the most.

What have all of you Brembo guys been using for a spare??
Old 5/25/12, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

Go here. This is what I did.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ull-spare.html
Old 5/25/12, 09:25 AM

I know the old Audi crowd would carry a regular spare and if you blow a front you take a good rear and put it on the front and put the spare on the back where it will clear the brakes just fine. Its some work but it does the job if you need to.
Old 5/25/12, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

So I'm thinking the best option is:

DR-31 18x8 5-100/114 35 MGM
Goodyear Eagle LS2 225 50R18
Old 5/25/12, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cowboy
I know the old Audi crowd would carry a regular spare and if you blow a front you take a good rear and put it on the front and put the spare on the back where it will clear the brakes just fine. Its some work but it does the job if you need to.
Now this is truly some great advice & exactly what I'll be doing in future, Thanks!
Old 5/25/12, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

So why doesn't Ford sell the spare and just have it in the manual that if the front tire blows move the rear to front and the spare to back? Curious
Old 5/25/12, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Barry626
Now this is truly some great advice & exactly what I'll be doing in future, Thanks!
This will work, but if you have a front wheel/tire to change who wants to jack the back of the car up to take a good Brembo wheel/tire off and put on the spare, then jack up the front to take off the bad wheel/tire and replace it with the good one? Just typing it was a pain in the a$$, now think about doing it on a humid 95 degree day on the side of the road... No thanks! If I'm going to spend money on a spare setup, there's no reason not to make sure it fits over the front brakes...

Originally Posted by Jellowood
So why doesn't Ford sell the spare and just have it in the manual that if the front tire blows move the rear to front and the spare to back? Curious
I'm not sure, I haven't really checked but do the Brembo cars even come with a jack or lug wrench in the trunk??
Old 5/25/12, 02:14 PM

There is a gentleman on brembo 50 website that has a brembo wheel and tire for sale I think he wants 290. shipped to you
Old 5/25/12, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

[QUOTE=I'm not sure, I haven't really checked but do the Brembo cars even come with a jack or lug wrench in the trunk??[/QUOTE]
I'd bet it doesn't. No reason to give someone something they can't use
Old 5/25/12, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jellowood
I'd bet it doesn't. No reason to give someone something they can't use
Yeah, I took a sec to look in my trunk a few minutes ago... I emailed my dealer to see if he could get me the scissor jack and lug wrench from Ford for me... Hopefully he'll just give it to me lol
Old 5/25/12, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I really need to purchase a spare. I keep hoping to come across someone selling a single take off with the tire still on it If something doesn't turn up soon I'll probably end up going the drag wheel route.

I already got a jack and lug wrench from a dealer online. Just need the wheel and tire now.
Old 5/25/12, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
This will work, but if you have a front wheel/tire to change who wants to jack the back of the car up to take a good Brembo wheel/tire off and put on the spare, then jack up the front to take off the bad wheel/tire and replace it with the good one? Just typing it was a pain in the a$$, now think about doing it on a humid 95 degree day on the side of the road... No thanks! If I'm going to spend money on a spare setup, there's no reason not to make sure it fits over the front brakes...

I'm not sure, I haven't really checked but do the Brembo cars even come with a jack or lug wrench in the trunk??
I think you are over estimating the issue.
#1 you have a 50/50 chance of blowing a front tire to start with.
#2 most tire issues are a nail stuck in it that you notice and can drive on to get fixed without the need of a spare at all.
#3 I beg to differ that swapping a wheel is labor intensive. You are aware that only 5 fasteners hold them on and last time I checked they were easy to access. you don't even need to pop the hood to get at them.
#4 if you don't want to do the switcheroo if you do find yourself in some unlikely bind, roadside assistance from your insurance or Aaa is way cheaper than a extra wheel and tire.

Now after saying that ill probably shred a tire tomorrow. Knock on wood.
Old 5/25/12, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

A couple of more points to think about.

If you are going to do the rear to front swap and put whatever spare on the rear because they will all clear the rear brakes; you want to have a spare as close as possible to the other rear tire diameter so you don't cause excessive wear on your LSD clutches. It may be a while to get to a tire shop.

A Brembo take off will work but you must nearly deflate the tire (to approx 10 lbs) to get it to fit in the wheel well. Plus the 9 inch wide wheel will stick up out of the wheel well more than the 8 inch wide Drag wheel.
Old 5/26/12, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cowboy
I think you are over estimating the issue.
#1 you have a 50/50 chance of blowing a front tire to start with.
#2 most tire issues are a nail stuck in it that you notice and can drive on to get fixed without the need of a spare at all.
#3 I beg to differ that swapping a wheel is labor intensive. You are aware that only 5 fasteners hold them on and last time I checked they were easy to access. you don't even need to pop the hood to get at them.
#4 if you don't want to do the switcheroo if you do find yourself in some unlikely bind, roadside assistance from your insurance or Aaa is way cheaper than a extra wheel and tire.

Now after saying that ill probably shred a tire tomorrow. Knock on wood.
You must not live in Michigan the pot hole capital of the USA!! lol I've had one tire issue in my life so far and it was in the winter hitting a pothole. Total sidewall cut on front wheel. I was just happy the wheel was ok.
Old 5/26/12, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mystichrome
There is a gentleman on brembo 50 website that has a brembo wheel and tire for sale I think he wants 290. shipped to you
I didn't see it until he had sold out because he posted in wheel & tire rather than in 'for sale'. I was checking 'for sale' frequently but not the other section.

Originally Posted by stevegt2012
A couple of more points to think about.

If you are going to do the rear to front swap and put whatever spare on the rear because they will all clear the rear brakes; you want to have a spare as close as possible to the other rear tire diameter so you don't cause excessive wear on your LSD clutches. It may be a while to get to a tire shop.

A Brembo take off will work but you must nearly deflate the tire (to approx 10 lbs) to get it to fit in the wheel well. Plus the 9 inch wide wheel will stick up out of the wheel well more than the 8 inch wide Drag wheel.
I don't know why the inflation would need to be so radically low, the overall diameter difference between the two is trivial.

Last edited by 97GT12; 5/26/12 at 11:14 AM.
Old 5/27/12, 10:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

Much better then sitting there for who knows how long for tow service when in 1/2 hr I can be on road again.
Old 6/28/12, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT12
I don't know why the inflation would need to be so radically low, the overall diameter difference between the two is trivial.
He is saying so that it will fit in the (spare) wheel well in the trunk..

I used one of my factory brembo wheels as a spare and mounted a 225/35/19 Dunlop Direzza on it and it sits in the wheel well with space around it. It does stick up about an inch, but that's worth it to me to have a full size spare that will work on all four corners. lol and then I found a jack on the side of the road I've found this to be the best solution. Sure, you can call AAA or Ford Roadside if you want, but that assumes you have a functional spare anyway, otherwise they will have to tow you to a shop, which is not likely to have a 255/40/19 in stock if the tire isn't patchable. Why not pay now for a little insurance that can save you a days time? That was my thought.

Last edited by wythorse; 7/11/12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 6/28/12, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wythorse
He is saying so that it will fit in the (spare) wheel well in the trunk..

I used one of my factory brembo wheels as a spare and mounted a 225/35/19 Dunlop Direzza on it and it sits in the wheel well with space around it. It does stick up about an inch, but that's worth it to me to have a full size spare that will work on all four corners. lol and then I found a jack on the side of the road I've found this to be the best solution. Sure, you can call AAA or Ford Roadside if you want, but that assumes you have a functional spare anyway, otherwise they will have to tow you to a shop, which is not likely to have a 255/40/19 in stock if the tire isn't patchable. Why not pay now for a little insurance that can save you a days time? That was my thought.

I have 3 more brembo wheels that I am looking to sell individually (not expensive either), you can PM me if interested.
I know it's for fit, but the two wheel and tire OD combos are very close.
Old 6/29/12, 02:28 AM
Bullitt Member

i have 4 of these and they cleared my other 14" 4 piston calipers and they clear Evo Brembo calipers, so they should clear 5.0 Brembos I'm sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-L...#ht_3709wt_986

Last edited by BOSS302R; 6/29/12 at 02:15 PM.
Old 6/29/12, 01:11 PM

^nice, even more compact.

Quick Reply: Brembo brake package spare wheel/tire??