2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brand new rusted Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/12, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U R right

OK, I quit. Rust is no big deal. Rust is car cancer, by the way, if you could not figure out the analogy. You are all correct. Rust on a brand new car is totally fine.
Old 4/18/12, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure, I would like Ford to coat the axle, but I'm not concerned about it if they don't. I've had two Mustangs prior to this one and it never bothered me then. The fact is I paid 34k for a car that will whoop my 37k 370Z and compete with a $60K+ M3. I'm not worried about an untreated axle.

Oh, and many of the treated suspension bits on the Z had to be replaced due to structural rust. So I'm even less worried about surface rust on an axle that no one but you will ever see.

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 4/18/12 at 09:19 AM.
Old 4/18/12, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 500 is rust free.
Old 4/18/12, 09:20 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyStang
OK, I quit. Rust is no big deal. Rust is car cancer, by the way, if you could not figure out the analogy. You are all correct. Rust on a brand new car is totally fine.
The axle won't be a problem though. Untreated axle housings will last 50 years with no problem. Junkyard housings that have been buried in mud are still usable. Just get it cleaned up and undercoated if you don't want to see the rust. But it won't rust through.
Old 4/18/12, 09:20 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by wheelman
Cancer? Please STFU.
Right! I just had a chunk of 'carcinoma' cut out of my chest last week.

The comparo is asinine and immature.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/18/12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 4/18/12, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

All the rain that falls on mountains will eventually erode them and make them flat... in a few billion years! The axle is thick and it is unlikely the rust will make it unusable in our lifetimes. My 69 Galaxie was never treated and it took almost forty years for a seal in the axle to finally wear.

If I may make a suggestion, newspaper, masking tape, Rustoleum (tm), engine paint, and a few hours will take care of it.
Old 4/18/12, 09:28 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Kinyodas

If I may make a suggestion, newspaper, masking tape, Rustoleum (tm), engine paint, and a few hours will take care of it.
"RustOleum ‘Professional Protective Enamel’ Semi-gloss black 243995" is what some guys have posted.
Old 4/18/12, 09:32 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys I think this is just a losing battle. What we have here is a keyboard jockey that thinks everything needs to be to his standards and not one bit of difference.

So what if the axle is rusty. You dont like it paint it. Like one of the posters said on here unless your going to have mirrors showing underneath the car at a car show then dont worry about it cuz it wont be seen.

ALSO what causes the rust too is the heat that is generated by the axles and such. Thats why you get the rusty calipers rotors too.
Old 4/18/12, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Okay, I don't normally participate in this sort of thread, but I feel I need to set the record straight as some people are spouting some nonsense that they obviously know very little (or nothing) about.

Here's a little tidbit about the science of surface rust from a mechanical engineer who knows a few things about materials (me):

Surface oxidation (rust), similar to the protective oxidation process on aluminum known as anodization, forms a protective layer on thick steel that prevents further and more destructive corrosion.

That's right. The thin layer of rust on our axle housings is protecting the material underneath. This protection, while not the most aesthetically pleasing, is free, as opposed to powder coating or other things.

The only reason to coat them is to please the people that don't understand oxidation or that don't like the look of it enough to pay for coating. I appreciate that Ford and other manufacturers understand the science behind this and save us money by NOT coating it. If you don't like it, coat it, but stop pretending like it is hurting anything from a mechanical/materials/longevity standpoint, because it is doing quite the opposite.

The reason rust has long been referred to on cars as "cancer" is because:

1) Stamped sheet metal on the body and frame of the car is thin enough that when rust is able to form on both sides of it, there is very little material left in between and it fails.

2) Paint and other coatings on this sheet metal that allow moisture and other corrosive materials through then retain this moisture and other corrosive materials against the metal and exacerbate the problem.

I am fairly certain that none of us has any rust on our new Mustangs that can be considered "cancer."
Old 4/18/12, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think the troll is full.
Old 4/18/12, 09:15 PM
I lust for a M24

What your standards need to realize is that this is a well valued, mass produced car. This means that it is made to meet the standards of most people looking for value in a car, not yours specifically.
What you're asking for is for Ford to produce a car they way you specifically want them to, and that's just not going to happen. If you want a car custom made to your specifications, then you better check with someone who builds custom cars... and don't expect that for $32K.
This is a non-issue. It doesn't affect the performance, the longevity, or even the cosmetics unless you're taking off the wheels or laying underneath the car. This is like complaining that it came with Motorcraft oil instead of Mobil 1, or that the car has regular light bulbs and not LEDs. You need to realize that the rust is not a problem, it's a non-issue, and if you can't see it without taking the wheels off or getting underneath the car, then it's not a cosmetic issue either. If you're going to be upset with someone over this, then be upset with yourself for not crawling underneath the cars at the lot and realizing this before you dropped $32K.
The world doesn't revolve around you. Just like you can't expect us to meet your expectations by agreeing with you and complaining like a bunch of spoiled babies, you also can't expect Ford to meet your expectations to upgrade a product after you bought it.
Oh, and IBTL.
Old 4/18/12, 09:22 PM
V6 Member

If its rust, you sand it and paint it. If its cancer, you do chemo, and pray.. Simple enough
Old 4/18/12, 09:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by RustyStang
So if new parents have a child and told the child has cancer, but the doctor tells them he still looks good from this view. So the parents do not get upset and accept "Rust" in their baby?
BTW- this is not just immature, but insulting and ignorant.
Old 4/18/12, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Lol. I think we all agree rust isn't something we'd like to see on a brand new car. Aim your frustration at Ford, but good luck. I love my 2012 V6 premium but I gotta admit the interior is lackluster. If they didn't want to spend the extra $$$ enhancing something clearly visible to a driver... I'm sure rust on the axle (which you have to actually inspect to even notice) is the least of their priorities.
Treat it. Immediate problem solved.
Old 4/18/12, 11:27 PM

I'm thinking spammer. ^^^. Too bad. Cute avatar.
Old 4/18/12, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Excuse you. I'm not a spammer.
Old 4/18/12, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Petunia
Excuse you. I'm not a spammer.
Ok my bad. Last few late night cute avatars have turned out to be. Welcome to the site.
Old 4/18/12, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Awkward. Haha jk. Thanks.
Old 4/18/12, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Petunia
Awkward. Haha jk. Thanks.
I'm good at awkward.
Old 4/18/12, 11:40 PM
Banned