2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Brand new rusted Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/12, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brand new rusted Mustang

Just bought my fifth Mustang a 2012 V6 Premium. Love her. I pulled of the rear wheels to put on mud flaps. What I saw behind the disc was sickening. RUST, RUST, and more RUST! I bought a car with 1/2 a mile on the odometer and parts under her are all rust! I am told this is the norm. Uncoated metal rusts.
I expect a brand new Mustang to have parts that look brand new too.
Am I right?
Old 4/18/12, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RustyStang
Just bought my fifth Mustang a 2012 V6 Premium. Love her. I pulled of the rear wheels to put on mud flaps. What I saw behind the disc was sickening. RUST, RUST, and more RUST! I bought a car with 1/2 a mile on the odometer and parts under her are all rust! I am told this is the norm. Uncoated metal rusts.
I expect a brand new Mustang to have parts that look brand new too.
Am I right?
Ah the joy of owning a Mustang. The rear axle is untreated and RUSTS. If you want you can clean it up and paint it, otherwise, enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
Rick Gonzalez (1/2/17)
Old 4/18/12, 08:36 AM

So you accept the problem and suggest I spend my money do correct FORD's omission???
Old 4/18/12, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its not to much of an issue, just astetics, its just surface rust..
Old 4/18/12, 08:38 AM

So you accept the problem and suggest I spend my money do correct FORD's omission???
You never answered my question. Should we accept new looking parts on a brand new car?
Old 4/18/12, 08:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well I guess the other option would be to return/sell the car. He confirmed that its not just you. Not sure what other answer youre looking for.
Old 4/18/12, 08:39 AM

Again, you never answered my question.
Old 4/18/12, 08:41 AM

So you do not mind parts that look like crap on your Mustang? Do all of you work for FORD? Things get changed in our country when we stop accepting a wrong.
Old 4/18/12, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You never answered my question. Should we accept new looking parts on a brand new car?
Well, by purchasing the car we pretty much accepted it.
Old 4/18/12, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So you do not mind parts that look like crap on your Mustang? Do all of you work for FORD? Things get changed in our country when we stop accepting a wrong.
WTF are you talking about? You want to protest Ford about an untreated axle??? No, I have much better uses of my time. Then again, Im posting in this dumbazz thread. lol
Old 4/18/12, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

hmm, not really sure what you are so upset about. And to answer your question, yes, I can accept having a rusty axle as it is not a defect nor will it in any way affect anything with the vehicle unless you plan on making it a show car and using mirrors for people to see the underside.

Getting upset about this is about like getting upset about the rust that naturally occurs on the rotors as well.
Old 4/18/12, 08:47 AM

Steve

If I spent $32,000.00 for a plate of food it better look great and taste great. I will not accept brown lettuce.....
So you do not think we deserve parts to match the car?
You make FORD proud.
Old 4/18/12, 08:50 AM
GT Member

If I spent $32,000.00 for a plate of food it better look great and taste great. I will not accept brown lettuce.....
You make FORD proud.
Are you returning the car then?
Old 4/18/12, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

You make FORD proud.
well considering that is the highest dollar plate of food EVER, it better be able to feed me for the next 25 years as well. The axle will last, nothing to be upset about, look at any other number of vehicles and I GUARANTEE that you will find similar result. I guarantee that a 60k diesel truck from anyone of the big three will have a similarly rusted axle.
Old 4/18/12, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Well I guess the other option would be to return/sell the car. He confirmed that its not just you. Not sure what other answer youre looking for.
Agreed, you better give them the car back then.
Old 4/18/12, 08:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts
Friend, if you find it unacceptable, you can certainly attempt to return the car. I believe you will be disappointed, however. Getting full value back on an item such as this is highly unlikely.

I believe most any court would rule that both Ford and the dealer have "substantially performed" in the vehicle delivery, and that at no time were you or any other Mustang purchaser promised a vehicle where all metal surfaces will be treated, coated, painted or rust-free.

Truth is, these cars are a giant leap is corrosion-proofing from decades past.

If you decide to keep the car, why not make cleaning and coating the axle your first mod?

Ultimately you have the right to decide for yourself what to do, and I will certainly respect whatever decision you make.
Old 4/18/12, 08:57 AM

David

See my reply to Steve.
Your standards are lower than mine. Brand new to me means new and without tearing the car apart to have a part analyzed, appearance dictates NEW.
I cannot believe no one wants FORD to coat all of our parts that can be affected by moisture.
Keep lowering standards and eventually you get nothing but crap.
So if new parents have a child and told the child has cancer, but the doctor tells them he still looks good from this view. So the parents do not get upset and accept "Rust" in their baby?
Old 4/18/12, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

See my reply to Steve.
Your standards are lower than mine. Brand new to me means new and without tearing the car apart to have a part analyzed, appearance dictates NEW.
I cannot believe no one wants FORD to coat all of our parts that can be affected by moisture.
So if new parents have a child and told the child has cancer, but the doctor tells them he still looks good from this view. So the parents do not get upset and accept "Rust" in their baby?
Not sure how you can compare infant cancer to rust on an axle. Nonetheless I think that Ford and all automakers have come a long way overall and all automakers have been continuously raising the bar and standards. The rust is purely superficial and will not cause any problems with the vehicle and they way it runs or drives. Now if it was rust in the paint somewhere I could understand your frustration but this is nothing to be upset about. In fact there are a bazillion other things that would go wrong long before the axle fails.
Old 4/18/12, 09:04 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We all hate the axle rust. Even Ford engineering guys do - they have posted keep letting Ford higher ups know about it. So write a letter to corporate instead of pitchin' a fit and battling everyone here as just a newbie. Lousy way to join our forum friend. I'd say welcome but I bet you're going to fade away quick and just joined to ditch like the some other 1post wonders do.

I know several that have cleaned it up and painted it. I haven't on my Bullitt but here's the good news.... I haven't either on my '83 F150 4x4. It sits out all year up here in the mountains, has 253,000 miles on it. And you know what? The surface rust hasn't impeded longevity, nor has the axle fallen apart. lol

From an engineer that used to post here:

s197****

Oh, and as far as the rust is concerned, we hate it too. All I can say is write lots of letters to Ford asking them to make your Mustang's steel powertrain components (driveshaft, axle, etc...) come painted from the factory because you don't like rusty car parts. Customer feedback is sometimes absolutely necessary to make a change that, to many of us, should seem so obvious and simple. Fill out those customer surveys that you get in the mail. They really matter.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/18/12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 4/18/12, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

See my reply to Steve.
Um, the Mustang is the best value in a performance car. If you want everything treated, painted, etc., youll pay for it 'cause that sh*t aint free. So go buy a hand built car if you can afford it. If you cant, youre essentially just b*tching b/c you cant afford a better car and no one here cares whether you can or cant. This is the dumbest rant Ive ever heard. Cancer? Please STFU.