2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Brake help....decisions??

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/13, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake help....decisions??

Hello All,

I am thinking about upgrading my brakes. I don't race or track my car so I am trying to decide if I should do the front & back or just the front brakes. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck!

What are your thoughts on the following kits?

If I do front and rear this is the kit I would probably go with:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-6...-kit-0514.html

If I do the front only, is it worth $370 extra for the 6-piston caliper with 15" rotors over the 4-piston calipers with 14" rotors?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...rade-Kit-05-14

I don't want crossed drilled/slotted just on the front and not on the back. Just don't like the mismatched look, and having crossed drilled front & back is more than I want to spend.

Thanks all!
Old 7/10/13, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you don't track the car the stock brakes should be fine. I drive my car hard and have had no issues with the stock brakes stopping the car.
Old 7/10/13, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
http://www.americanmuscle.com/powers...it-1114gt.html

If your not racing and want to upgrade maybe go with something like this. Improved braking and upgraded looks as well
Old 7/10/13, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
http://www.americanmuscle.com/powers...it-1114gt.html

If your not racing and want to upgrade maybe go with something like this. Improved braking and upgraded looks as well

That is a nice option, but I would like to have a better looking caliper than stock (and I tried the MGP covers and had rubbing issues).
Old 7/10/13, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rk2112
Hello All,

I am thinking about upgrading my brakes. I don't race or track my car so I am trying to decide if I should do the front & back or just the front brakes. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck!

What are your thoughts on the following kits?

If I do front and rear this is the kit I would probably go with:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-6...-kit-0514.html

If I do the front only, is it worth $370 extra for the 6-piston caliper with 15" rotors over the 4-piston calipers with 14" rotors?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...rade-Kit-05-14

I don't want crossed drilled/slotted just on the front and not on the back. Just don't like the mismatched look, and having crossed drilled front & back is more than I want to spend.

Thanks all!
These guys have all pointed you in the right direction. If you don't race the car often, the stock breaks are going to do just fine! However, I completely understand why you want Brembo Breaks. This was one of the only options besides 3.73's and leather that I wanted when ordering my car!

I highly recommend them. This bolt-on Brembo brake upgrade kit includes a pair of 6-piston black Brembo front calipers, a pair of single-piston black GT500 rear calipers, two 15" Brembo vented front rotors, two 13.8" Brembo vented rear rotors, front and rear brake pads, production DOT-approved brake lines, front tie-rod heat shields, rear axle caliper brackets and the required installation hardware, so you're good to go!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 7/10/13, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
These guys have all pointed you in the right direction. If you don't race the car often, the stock breaks are going to do just fine! However, I completely understand why you want Brembo Breaks. This was one of the only options besides 3.73's and leather that I wanted when ordering my car!

I highly recommend them. This bolt-on Brembo brake upgrade kit includes a pair of 6-piston black Brembo front calipers, a pair of single-piston black GT500 rear calipers, two 15" Brembo vented front rotors, two 13.8" Brembo vented rear rotors, front and rear brake pads, production DOT-approved brake lines, front tie-rod heat shields, rear axle caliper brackets and the required installation hardware, so you're good to go!

Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future! Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Dan,

I understand you have to pull the rear axles to install this kit? Any idea as to what kind of time labor wise this takes? Any idea if this kit will have any other discounts in the future?

Thanks!
Old 7/10/13, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor

Dan,

I understand you have to pull the rear axles to install this kit? Any idea as to what kind of time labor wise this takes? Any idea if this kit will have any other discounts in the future?

Thanks!
I'm not exaclty sure of the time frame on the install. I wish I could be more help with that question, I would recommend just giving the Ford dealership a call and they'll be able to give you a realistic answer. It shouldn't be all that tough of an install though, brakes are rather simple!

I'm not sure if this kits going to go on sale in the near future but I can definitely hook you up with a discount code. Please shoot me a PM and I'll gladly get you taken care of!

-Dan
Old 7/10/13, 01:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I recommend not going with a 6 piston setup if you are no tracking the car. 4 piston calipers are more than enough for daily driving. Also don't bother with 2-piece rotors, that would again be overkill for daily driving. Slotted rotors are the best from a stress perspective (compared with drilled). They look nice too!

The Brembo setup is very nice and I bet you can find a used setup if you wanted... Could probably get larger rotors for the rear and some caliper adapters. Not sure if that was in one of the links I did t actually open the links above
Old 7/10/13, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I recommend not going with a 6 piston setup if you are no tracking the car. 4 piston calipers are more than enough for daily driving. Also don't bother with 2-piece rotors, that would again be overkill for daily driving. Slotted rotors are the best from a stress perspective (compared with drilled). They look nice too!

The Brembo setup is very nice and I bet you can find a used setup if you wanted... Could probably get larger rotors for the rear and some caliper adapters. Not sure if that was in one of the links I did t actually open the links above
Will I get a lot of dust from the stock Brembo brake pads?
Old 7/10/13, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Not sure if they are the same in the Brembo cars as on the Boss but the stock Boss pads dust a lot, then again good pads will.
Old 7/10/13, 07:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Can't say from experience yet as the car is new, but typically grippier pads will shed more dust.
Old 7/11/13, 12:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not tracking the car I see no reason for you to touch the stock rear brakes. The Brembos on the front of my '14 GT TP are amazing. Get Brembo take-offs and rims to clear them and you're all set.
Old 7/11/13, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
If you're not tracking the car, why change the brakes at all? They're more than capable of stopping anything in daily driving...
Old 7/11/13, 01:14 PM
Cobra Member

Does anyone know if the front brembro kit from A.M. will fit 18" MCA pkg wheels?

Old 7/11/13, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I had an 07 gt500, the stock brakes from the first gen s197 were crap for anything other daily grannying around. The initial bite was good on them but I ended up warping the rotors under extended spirited driving. I bought gt500 M-2300-S package which included front rotors/pads/calipers, rear bullit spec pads and goodridge steel braided lines with teflon coating for DOT approval.

To me the main thing to consider was the bed in procedure which was 0-20 then panic stop without locking up, then 1-30 and stop, and 1-40 and 1-50 and 1-60mph. After the bed in drive and cool them. I put on those twice the mileage of the stockers with never a single issue and a very firm modular pedal.

With this being said, the low end brakes on the normal gt should be even worse with 100hp more and 200lb more of weight.

My current car has the factory brembos, the only thing I would change on these is the lines to goodridge steel braided lines, I know what people say about steel braiding and all of that, but I don't care I would replace them every couple of years anyway and inspect ever few months.

Given the choice I would go with the 6 piston setup as an upgrade from the sliding front calipers. The larger the rotor, the larger the heatsink. Make sure your wheels fit them though. In my current case, it makes no sense to upgrade to the gt500 setup as my gains are not going to be much unless I add hp to this thing then its up in the air. But I have a feeling the 255 profile tires would give up allot sooner than the brakes. (Had 275 wide rubbers on all 4 corners on my old one) God do I miss my old s197......
Old 7/11/13, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
If you're not tracking the car, why change the brakes at all? They're more than capable of stopping anything in daily driving...
I have added more power and drive more aggressive now, so I would like a little better brake, plus a little bling behind my 20" Vossens's would be nice! 😉
Old 7/12/13, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Anybody know about these:Brake help....decisions??-image.jpg
Old 7/12/13, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
Does anyone know if the front brembro kit from A.M. will fit 18" MCA pkg wheels?

nope.
Old 7/12/13, 09:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Typical bedding is 55-5 and repeat about 8 times. Then 15 minute cool down with minimal braking. Don't want to come to a complete stop
Old 7/13/13, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Anybody know about these:Attachment 141966
Not read great things about them, I would stick with the brands people are racing on; Pagid, Hawk, Carbotech, the like.

Quick Reply: Brake help....decisions??