2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

BLOWN ENGINE NOT COVERED BY FORD

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/10, 03:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guy's user name says that uses NOS and he admits he shift into second when trying to get into fourth. Shifters only move where your hand tells them to, they don't force YOU to do anything. He screwed up the shift and there is a very good chance he sprays, case closed.
Old 10/22/10, 04:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
The guy's user name says that uses NOS and he admits he shift into second when trying to get into fourth. Shifters only move where your hand tells them to, they don't force YOU to do anything. He screwed up the shift and there is a very good chance he sprays, case closed.
Guess the good thing for this guy is that Ford has the entire engine assembly available for just over 5K.
Old 10/22/10, 04:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"it forced me into second gear" best line ever, because we all know manual cars shift themselves. do you know how hard it is to slam into 2nd gear when you wanted to go to 4th? try it yourself DONT LET YOUR CLUTCH OUT, but clutch in hold it there and see if you can even put your tranny in 2nd gear, betcha can't
Old 10/22/10, 04:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
"it forced me into second gear" best line ever, because we all know manual cars shift themselves. do you know how hard it is to slam into 2nd gear when you wanted to go to 4th? try it yourself DONT LET YOUR CLUTCH OUT, but clutch in hold it there and see if you can even put your tranny in 2nd gear, betcha can't
actually its quite easy.. I had an issue exactly like that..
my 88 Camaro.. back in 1990.. getting onto the highway racing a friend.. was already in 3rd gear close to 100mph.. (stock 3.08's) leaned out the window to look over my shoulder AS I WAS SHIFTING INTO 4TH, and pulled the shifter effortlessly into 2nd.. let out the clutch and the engine SCREAMED past 7k, yes 7000 (i watched my tach slam over) the 305 was not made to handle such rpms.. bent 8 of 16 valves and all 8 pistons had "dings" from the valves.. engine still ran, but idled like it had a cam in it.. 6yr 60k warenty.

Chevy replaced the ENTIRE motor.
Old 10/22/10, 04:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see no point in others getting involved in someone else's legal battle with a company like this. Even saying "we're watching you" is going to do nothing. The story sounds fishy, and if you want to go and stand by his side, that's your decision, but it's not something I'd suggest.
Old 10/22/10, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I see no point in others getting involved in someone else's legal battle with a company like this. Even saying "we're watching you" is going to do nothing. The story sounds fishy, and if you want to go and stand by his side, that's your decision, but it's not something I'd suggest.
+1

i read the story on Corral. there are WAY to many holes in the story..
Old 10/22/10, 05:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Best post:

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
I agree with you; however, in the interest of "fairness" what we don't have here is BOTH sides of the story. What we DON'T have is the rep from Ford reporting his findings but instead have an aggrieved Mustang owner that admittedly blew a shift bemoaning that Ford isn't covering the damage to his car that he may very well have caused.

Personally, I have gone through the process; my '05 Focus ST developed a slight noticeable tick at 125,000km (78000mi) while still under ESP. I religiously maintain my vehicle, only run full synthetic oil that I change every 8000km (5000mi) but by the same token drive it very hard. After examining the engine they determined that it was a spun rod bearing, and wanted to do a teardown and warned me that if it was found to be an oil starvation or mod related problem that I would be responsible for the work. The only mod I had on the engine was a short ram intake.

After providing a detailed maintenance record, and after teardown (I witnessed the disassembled engine -- it was clean enough to eat off of inside), they replaced it with a brand new engine. Cost: $100, the deductible on the ESP.

The point that I'm trying to make is that Ford is thorough in its investigation -- it has to be because they can't go around replacing engines abused by customers. But by the same token they also don't go around denying legitimate claims either.

So let them know "you are watching" all you like, just bear in mind that before you pass judgment that either way you are still only going to get one side of the story.
Old 10/22/10, 05:31 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
+1

i read the story on Corral. there are WAY to many holes in the story..
Going around banding together to sing Kumbaya to hope for him to get his engine replaced is just ignorant IMO.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Best post:
Sparky said it very well and I 100% agree with that post.
Old 10/22/10, 05:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
actually its quite easy.. I had an issue exactly like that..
my 88 Camaro.. back in 1990.. getting onto the highway racing a friend.. was already in 3rd gear close to 100mph.. (stock 3.08's) leaned out the window to look over my shoulder AS I WAS SHIFTING INTO 4TH, and pulled the shifter effortlessly into 2nd.. let out the clutch and the engine SCREAMED past 7k, yes 7000 (i watched my tach slam over) the 305 was not made to handle such rpms.. bent 8 of 16 valves and all 8 pistons had "dings" from the valves.. engine still ran, but idled like it had a cam in it.. 6yr 60k warenty.

Chevy replaced the ENTIRE motor.

That sucks man, but that's an 88 camaro, try it in your car without letting the clutch out.

Last edited by fdjizm; 10/22/10 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10/22/10, 06:58 AM
GT Member

The fact his username is Noxer makes me laugh. I wonder if he has it tatood on his forehead.
Old 10/22/10, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid
The fact his username is Noxer makes me laugh. I wonder if he has it tatood on his forehead.
Not enough room with the big "L" already there.
Old 10/22/10, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Old 10/22/10, 09:22 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Old 10/22/10, 09:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

I know if this guy has any post history online that Ford is all over it. They were that way with me and my clutch issues. Even made up stuff like I was using drag radials when I had street tires. Good times with Ford Customer Service!
Old 10/22/10, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

ya im gunna say its most likely his fault
Old 10/22/10, 10:19 AM
Cobra Member

I agree with some earlier posts. With a case like this they (Ford) is going to be very thorough in looking at the engine, especially on such a new car.

Of course no one really knows what happened except for the OP, but my guess is he screwed the pooch and now wants someone else to pay for his mistake.

The 5.0 produces so much HP from the factory I really don't know why anyone would want to mod it, but if you DO then be prepared to pay when things go **** up... and don't complain to the world that you got the shaft... you modded it, you broke it, you pay for it.

In other words be a man about it not a little whiny *****.

Just my .02 of course
Old 10/22/10, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Seems to me like maybe some info is missing...

No, it's all there if you read the thread. He over-revved the engine. No reason at all why Ford should pay for this... Stupid hurts (the pocketbook)

"It was while I was passing someone, and while I was trying to merge on a freeway, (highway speeds) and seamed like it went in the right gear, but happen to be in second.. things happen so fast at that point its hard to react quick enough. as SOON as I realized what happened I pushed the clutch in, but I could tell the engine over revved. I pulled over and looked at everything when it happened because Ive heard of cars flying apart because if this.."
Old 10/22/10, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Modshack
No, it's all there if you read the thread. He over-revved the engine. No reason at all why Ford should pay for this... Stupid hurts (the pocketbook)

"It was while I was passing someone, and while I was trying to merge on a freeway, (highway speeds) and seamed like it went in the right gear, but happen to be in second.. things happen so fast at that point its hard to react quick enough. as SOON as I realized what happened I pushed the clutch in, but I could tell the engine over revved. I pulled over and looked at everything when it happened because Ive heard of cars flying apart because if this.."
Here is my problem with the over rev. Normally there are protections in place incase that happens. Now did he remove those protections?
Old 10/22/10, 01:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Here is my problem with the over rev. Normally there are protections in place incase that happens. Now did he remove those protections?
Any safety measures in place cannot prevent a motor from spinning past redline as a result of shifting into the wrong gear. Cutting the fuel isn't going to stop the motor from passing the redline when the motor is forced to spin as a result of the moving driveline being engaged to the engine via the clutch.

Last edited by Liquid; 10/22/10 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10/22/10, 02:05 PM
Cobra R Member

You're pretty much screwed when you mechanically over rev, there isn't anything you can do about it put try to kick that clutch in as fast as you can!

Quick Reply: BLOWN ENGINE NOT COVERED BY FORD