2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/08, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel

Figured it didn't need the Media/Sync Buttons.

Old 11/21/08, 05:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Looks like the new pony on the horn button though.
Am I right?
Old 11/21/08, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed it is.
Old 11/21/08, 07:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
could it be only because these are preproduction models?
Old 11/21/08, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, these are it for base cars that do not have the extra media goodies.
Old 11/21/08, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They need to do something to break up that wall of solid color on the door panels that screams rental car...

It doesn't surprise me they didn't make a standard steering wheel with spokes that match the new upgrade one. It's supposed to be the base model to encourage people to choose option packages to dress them up. So why bother tooling up a new wheel just to have it boring in black. Remember also, it costs more for the new upgrade wheels because they are using real aluminum now and not plastic dipped in satin chrome plating...

Now I just want to see a good picture of the automatic equipped models which I have not seen a production picture of yet.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/21/08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11/21/08, 08:37 PM

I hope the premiuem 6 has the sync steering wheel
Old 11/21/08, 10:22 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Jps78
I hope the premiuem 6 has the sync steering wheel
It will if it has SYNC, the steering wheel controls are integral to the SYNC package. The above is the bare-bones, 0 options V6.
Old 11/22/08, 01:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
They need to do something to break up that wall of solid color on the door panels that screams rental car...

It doesn't surprise me they didn't make a standard steering wheel with spokes that match the new upgrade one. It's supposed to be the base model to encourage people to choose option packages to dress them up. So why bother tooling up a new wheel just to have it boring in black. Remember also, it costs more for the new upgrade wheels because they are using real aluminum now and not plastic dipped in satin chrome plating...

Now I just want to see a good picture of the automatic equipped models which I have not seen a production picture of yet.
Is this what you are looking for Watchdevil? I agree on the Door Panel Issue as well. It Needs a Dark Insert to match the Arm Rest.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/22/08 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11/22/08, 03:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Dang, never noticed how much of a lean the center console has.
Old 11/22/08, 08:03 AM
GT Member

Looks like a pretty nice rental car to me. I think the armrest in contrasting black is a nice break-up and accents the cool leaning arc of the console:

It doesn't surprise me they didn't make a standard steering wheel with spokes that match the new upgrade one. It's supposed to be the base model to encourage people to choose option packages to dress them up. So why bother tooling up a new wheel just to have it boring in black.
?? It's the same "base" wheel as today, but has the cool new aluminum badge with the 2010 pony. A new wheel was not made for the base interior.

Remember, the V6 can be upgraded to the aluminum wheel/dash or you can order a GT with this "base" interior. Although I saw it at the LA show and even the base is definitely not rubbermaid plastic anymore.

Remember also, it costs more for the new upgrade wheels because they are using real aluminum now and not plastic dipped in satin chrome plating...
Today's premium wheel also has real aluminum spokes too, but doesn't feel as comfortable or look as good as this new 2010 design.
Old 11/22/08, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
Looks like a pretty nice rental car to me. I think the armrest in contrasting black is a nice break-up and accents the cool leaning arc of the console:

?? It's the same "base" wheel as today, but has the cool new aluminum badge with the 2010 pony. A new wheel was not made for the base interior.

Remember, the V6 can be upgraded to the aluminum wheel/dash or you can order a GT with this "base" interior. Although I saw it at the LA show and even the base is definitely not rubbermaid plastic anymore.

Today's premium wheel also has real aluminum spokes too, but doesn't feel as comfortable or look as good as this new 2010 design.

To me the door panels look like a production line mismatch because they do not match the dash, carpet and door sill/kick panel moldings. Anyone could achieve this look in their car if they took an all black interior and stuck gray or beige door panels from another car with those lighter solid interior colors. Traditionally the door panels would be black with a light colored insert above the armrest in the door panel cove. The scale and contrast of the solid colored door panels overwhelms the soild colored seats visually drwaing too much focus towards the door panels.

I didn't say anything about the 2010 base steering wheel being different than the 05-09 base interior without IUP. I simply said they did not waste money making the base wheel look like the 2010 IUP wheel with aluminum spokes.

Also the 05-09 IUP wheel does not have real aluminum spokes. It is satin chrome plated pastic just like the IUP door handles, auto shifter handle and PRND321 indicator bezel. If you take any of those plated IUP parts off and look at the backside or underneath you will see shiney chrome plating that has been chemically treated on the visual surfaces to yield a satin look. In cold weather if you touch these parts they are very cold to the touch as opposed to silver painted plastic because of the genuine chrome plating content.

On the 2010 automatic it looks like we have a chrome plated version of the 05-09 IUP manual transmission shifter boot ring. The PRND321 indicator bezel is now flat. However the new shifter **** will not be a direct retrofit without purchasing a new shift lever assembly due to the skinny round base of the shifter coming out of the console.

I love the new console. Too bad that cannot be retrofitted without an entire new dash.
Old 11/22/08, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To me the door panels look like a production line mismatch because they do not match the dash, carpet and door sill/kick panel moldings. Anyone could achieve this look in their car if they took an all black interior and stuck gray or beige door panels from another car with those lighter solid interior colors. Traditionally the door panels would be black with a light colored insert above the armrest in the door panel cove. The scale and contrast of the solid colored door panels overwhelms the soild colored seats visually drawing too much focus towards the door panels.

However the new shifter **** will not be a direct retrofit without purchasing a new shift lever assembly due to the skinny round base of the shifter coming out of the console.
I agree Since the Dash/IP is going to be Solid Charcoal in all 2010's the primary color of the Door Panel should be Charcoal with a Color Matching the Seating as an Insert, as shown below. This would also reduce production cost as they would only have to produce one color door panel for all Mustangs, regardless of Interior Color, or as I suggested add a Charcoal Insert into the color panel to help Bring the Dash/IP Color around the Sides.

The lighter color door panels do look better in the pic's with the charcoal kick panels though from what I've seen. I really do not like it with the light color kick panels and sill trim. See Below.

As for the Shifter, the Base is Not Skinny and Round, Look Closer at the Pictures I Posted, it's rectangular and tapering. However, It doesn't look nearly as wide and chunky as the 05-09's.

Attached Thumbnails Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel-dscn0245ev6.jpg   Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel-los_angeles_auto_show_2008_227.jpg   Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel-los_angeles_auto_show_2008_225.jpg   Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel-dsc_0596.jpg   Base V6 Gets Current Steering Wheel-dsc_0597.jpg  

Old 11/22/08, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Traditionally the door panels would be black with a light colored insert above the armrest in the door panel cove. The scale and contrast of the solid colored door panels overwhelms the soild colored seats visually drawing too much focus towards the door panels.
Tradition seems to speak otherwise. I believe this is what they were going for:

Looks very cool and classy to me. I like the contrast- its appropriate for Mustangs. Besides, why would you want them to do it like every other car???????

However, I believe this is only one interior combo. All the others we've seen have a colored door insert ( red and brown interiors.) No worries for you then. So looks like they are making a combo for each of us. Kudos, Ford design team!!!
Old 11/22/08, 10:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangsimon
Tradition seems to speak otherwise. I believe this is what they were going for:

Looks very cool and classy to me. I like the contrast- its appropriate for Mustangs. Besides, why would you want them to do it like every other car???????

However, I believe this is only one interior combo. All the others we've seen have a colored door insert ( red and brown interiors.) No worries for you then. So looks like they are making a combo for each of us. Kudos, Ford design team!!!
Wow I completely forgot about those old white interiors which always used red, black or blue carpeting because certainly you would not do carpeting in white. That was the only color combination I remember that they did that with. All the others matched the carpeting with the door panels. So when I was thinking of tradition, I wasn't thinking specifically how they handled white colored interiors, but primarily other colored interiors which usually matched the door panels with the carpet.

Anyway seeing one picture of the 2010 with light colored rockers and kick panels that match the doors looks worse than those parts matching the carpet.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/22/08 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11/22/08, 10:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

As for the Shifter, the Base is Not Skinny and Round, Look Closer at the Pictures I Posted, it's rectangular and tapering. However, It doesn't look nearly as wide and chunky as the 05-09's.
The shift lever tapers very narrowly into the bezel slider. This definitely will not be a direct fit as the shifter lever under the handle on the 05-09 slides onto a large square shaft. The entire shifter mechanism that bolts to the tunnel will have to be swapped out. Not worth the effort to me. As I keep looking at the new shifter **** it looks much taller and more like it belongs in a Lincoln or Fusion anyway.

I am thinking of reverting some of my aluminum trim parts to chrome and just have the dash panels and steering wheel spokes remain aluminum. I may change out the inside door handles, lock ***** and shifter bezel ring out to chrome. If I am lucky enough that the door speaker rings retrofit then I'll change those out as well.

One thing I have learned is that the satin chrome plating that represents aluminum actually feels very cold to the touch in cold weather because of the genuine chrome plating, unlike painted silver plastic which is just warm.