2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Barton Short Throw Shifter Install.

Search this Thread

Old 12/1/10, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barton Short Throw Shifter Install.

I'm heading to Barton tomorrow to pick up their short throw shifter, and they are going to do a free install. I will have an hours drive back home so I will post my impressions when I get back. They have a 30 day money back guarantee. They let you install the shifter and use it, if you dont like it you can send it back for a full refund. THATS AWESOME!

Last edited by Jim2011; 12/1/10 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12/2/10, 07:15 PM

UPDATE..

The guys at Barton are awesome. I don't even know where to start.... Dave (the owner) personally installed the shifter in my car and they went out of their way to show me everything they do there and explained all the process's they went through when designing the shifter. They have like 10 or 11 shifters that they sraped before going with the one they have now. They definitely did a lot of R&D on this thing. All the first designed shifters looked a lot like what Steeda is currently using.

This shifter is just plain awesome. I didn't really know what to expect, I thought the factory shifter was pretty good to start with, but with the free install and guarantee I couldn't pass it up. This shifter is SUCH an improvement over the factory shifter its hard to even explain how much better the shifting is. The 2-3 shift is effortless, and the extra spring pressure on the reverse lockout is great.
They have a Pistol grip they are working on to fit our 5.0's and I have one of the 1st prototypes in my car now. It's SICK! I will try and get some pics up in the morning. Its dark out right now and the grip is black.
The machines and what they do there is incredible to watch. 1st class act for sure, and best of all Its a FAMILY ran buisness.

My favorite part was the CARS!!!!! Dave has some KILLER rides. I know must of us dont like the new Camaro's but his is Awesome. Cammed, supercharged, headers/exhaust, axles, clutch, ground effects, ram air hood, lowered and the list goes on and on. It's a beautiful car and it sounds like it would swallow my 5.0 whole. LOL
They also have.... HOLY CRAP
2011 5.0
2008 Z06 cammed/supercharged
2008 Challenger SRT8
1972 Chevelle SS 454
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4d lifted on 35" tires.
2010 Toyota Tundra

If your on the fence about this shifter, get one, you wont regret it, its a awesome product from a great company.
Hats off to Barton.
Old 12/2/10, 08:41 PM

seriously though, did he mention how much it might cost?
Old 12/3/10, 02:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Do they have a web site?
Old 12/3/10, 05:25 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
Do they have a web site?
http://www.bartonindustries.com/

Mine just showed up today, I'll let everyone know how it is when I install it tomorrow.
Old 12/3/10, 05:48 AM
GT Member

It looks as if these guys are making a big splash. I have to wait for MGW before I can make an educated decision.

Thanks for review OP. Hope to see pictures soon.
Old 12/3/10, 07:47 AM

Here is the pistol grip. It feels great.
Old 12/3/10, 07:54 AM
GT Member

Great review and sounds like a great company to do business with.
Old 12/3/10, 08:41 AM
GT Member

That Pistol grip looks sweet!

I will be getting a Barton shifter soon.....
Old 12/3/10, 10:14 AM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by Jim2011
Here is the pistol grip. It feels great.
Holy ****!

That is sick as hell!

How does the boot meet up with the ****?

Edit: Lucky bastard got the last one! I just called Barton!

Maybe around the beginning of the year these will be available!

Last edited by S197 GT; 12/3/10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12/3/10, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Interesting, I like the idea of the 40% reduction, the Steeda Tri-Ax I just bought only offers 20%. What concerns me is the additional moving parts in this unit to acheive 40%. More parts, more things to go wrong. Nevertheless, it looks like a good unit.
Old 12/3/10, 02:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid
It looks as if these guys are making a big splash. I have to wait for MGW before I can make an educated decision.

Agreed.
Old 12/3/10, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Liquid

Me 2 ... any news when they will have one available ? I loved the one I had on my 05
Old 12/5/10, 08:10 AM
V6 Member

UPDATE..

The guys at Barton are awesome. I don't even know where to start.... Dave (the owner) personally installed the shifter in my car and they went out of their way to show me everything they do there and explained all the process's they went through when designing the shifter. They have like 10 or 11 shifters that they sraped before going with the one they have now. They definitely did a lot of R&D on this thing. All the first designed shifters looked a lot like what Steeda is currently using.

This shifter is just plain awesome. I didn't really know what to expect, I thought the factory shifter was pretty good to start with, but with the free install and guarantee I couldn't pass it up. This shifter is SUCH an improvement over the factory shifter its hard to even explain how much better the shifting is. The 2-3 shift is effortless, and the extra spring pressure on the reverse lockout is great.
They have a Pistol grip they are working on to fit our 5.0's and I have one of the 1st prototypes in my car now. It's SICK! I will try and get some pics up in the morning. Its dark out right now and the grip is black.
The machines and what they do there is incredible to watch. 1st class act for sure, and best of all Its a FAMILY ran buisness.

My favorite part was the CARS!!!!! Dave has some KILLER rides. I know must of us dont like the new Camaro's but his is Awesome. Cammed, supercharged, headers/exhaust, axles, clutch, ground effects, ram air hood, lowered and the list goes on and on. It's a beautiful car and it sounds like it would swallow my 5.0 whole. LOL
They also have.... HOLY CRAP
2011 5.0
2008 Z06 cammed/supercharged
2008 Challenger SRT8
1972 Chevelle SS 454
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4d lifted on 35" tires.
2010 Toyota Tundra

If your on the fence about this shifter, get one, you wont regret it, its a awesome product from a great company.
Hats off to Barton.

Just installed mine today. Love the way the 1-6 shifts feel, but I have a couple questions -

Did you notice any increase in transmission noise coming in to the cabin? Seems I have a slight whine.

And, do you have any trouble getting into reverse? Mine seems really hard to get into gear.
Old 12/5/10, 06:38 PM

Just installed my shifter and couldnt be happier with it. 1-6 really snap through effortlessly.

I was on the fence buying it because I felt the factory shifter was decent, but after driving around Im glad I took the plunge.
Old 12/5/10, 06:53 PM

Dragonacc- Check the rubber boot. Dave showed me how some people were putting it on wrong. I would have been one of them LOL. The opening in the bottom of the boot has to go all the way around the shifter and fall into the groove at the base of the shifter. It looked like it was a PITA to get it on right. But mine is as quite as stock and reverse is as smooth as all the other gears.
Old 12/5/10, 07:49 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I normally don't like pistol grips, but that looks awesome
Old 12/11/10, 09:03 PM
V6 Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I normally don't like pistol grips, but that looks awesome
I agree, but that looks like it belongs there. My guess is that I'll wait till the first of the year. Then I'll pull the trigger on the shifter and the pistol grip. The statements from everyone have been positive. I'll keep watching for posts on the Barton Shifter.
Old 12/12/10, 02:48 AM
V6 Member

Dragonacc- Check the rubber boot. Dave showed me how some people were putting it on wrong. I would have been one of them LOL. The opening in the bottom of the boot has to go all the way around the shifter and fall into the groove at the base of the shifter. It looked like it was a PITA to get it on right. But mine is as quite as stock and reverse is as smooth as all the other gears.
Yeah, I'm one of the guys that was doing it wrong. Barton has a video on their website now showing how it's supposed to go on. Now that the reverse issue is solved I have no complaints what so ever. The shifter is great!
Old 12/12/10, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

That thing looks awesome.. Gonna have to look into it...

Quick Reply: Barton Short Throw Shifter Install.