Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bad bumper repair...time for newtakeoff.com?

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/10, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad bumper repair...time for newtakeoff.com?

I got a small 3 inch scratch on my front bumper above the passenger corner marker from a car in front of me kicking up something. I had a highly rated (according the online reviews and pics) mobile repair shop fix it. Long story short after three attempts by the shop to fix it my entire bumper is screwed and I also now need a new CDC spoiler. They guarantee their work but refuse my money back. I'm not done with them yet but am on hold because I'm currently deployed. I got an estimate from a real body shop before I left but looking at newtakeoff.com I can get a brand new painted bumper cover for hundreds less. They have a disclaimer though saying they do their best to avoid scuffs and scratches but there is no guarantee. Anyone got anything from them here that can chime in on quality upon receipt? It would be nice to come home and not lose my car for a week of more getting it painted and I would also have the messed up still if this goes to small claims court. I attached pics so you can see how bad it is actually messed up now, no quick fix will take care of this. Thanks.

Dirt in the paint, basically the whole bumper looks like this

Chin spoiler overspray

More overspray

and even more overspray

This is the opposite side of the bumper, almost the entire half is dull like this
Old 10/8/10, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

wow that looks horrible, sorry about that man
Old 10/8/10, 12:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! They really did a crappy job.

It could be fixed by a good shop.

You may not end up with any better part from new take off after it gets shipped to you since it has already been shipped to them after it got taken off the new car it originally came from. Lots of shuffling and banging around by the time you get it, plus their shipping charges aren't cheap so dollars wise you might be just as well off getting yours fixed right by another shop.
Old 10/8/10, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

^ i agree, just take yours to a shop. or have a friend/ family member take it so that way you come back to a nice looking bumper and dont have to deal with it
Old 10/8/10, 12:40 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro!

Order a painted roush front fascia
Old 10/8/10, 12:47 PM

The real crime

is not only for the poor work, but not stepping up to the guarantee for someone serving the country.

"They guarantee their work but refuse my money back. I'm not done with them yet but am on hold because I'm currently deployed."
Old 10/8/10, 02:00 PM
Cobra R Member

There's no such thing as a GOOD bumper repair anyway.
Even if it came out looking good it would eventually start cracking. No matter what anyone says, you can't repaint a bumper,
most body shops can't even paint a new bumper right.

Anyway NewTakeoff is your best bet, they're factory painted and are usually in like new condition..

Last edited by cinque35; 10/8/10 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10/8/10, 03:23 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is insanely bad. Mobile repair shop, that's at least part of the problem. The paint should be done in a controlled environment, ie paint booth.

You can absolutely make a good bumper repair and if done properly there should be no peeling or cracking. Any good bodyshop will use a flex additive to the paint when painting the bumper to prevent any cracking, clearing the entire panel along with proper prep will prevent peeling. The appropriate way to fix your bumper would have been to remove the bumper from the car, remove the lamps and trim, make the repair, then paint the repair and blend within the cover followed by clear. It should then be reassembled and put back onto the car. Instead, it looks like they tried to do a small repair on the car and then just mask and spray. You see the result. That sucks, but it can be fixed by any good shop, and it should only be a 3 day repair. Good luck man, sorry to see you have to put up w/ this.
Old 10/8/10, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wow those idiots tried to paint it without taking it off the car!
Old 10/8/10, 03:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ksguy73
I had a highly rated (according the online reviews and pics) mobile repair shop fix it.

There's the problem.
Old 10/8/10, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

You have two options really: have a real shop re-paint the bumper or newtakeoff. I've done both.

I ordered a front bumper from newtakeoff for my 2006 and it came 99% good shape. The 1% was that there were a few rub points from shipping at the corners where the paint rubbed off (where you really can't see anyway near the wheel well). I think I put it on my car when I had 20,000 on it and it looked better than the original bumper (before the accident of course). Color match was dead on. Basically you can expect parts from newtakeoff that have about 100-500mi worth or wear. I think it's a really good deal.

At the same time I bought a new rear bumper and had a good shop paint it. Paint quality is great but the color match was about 5% off (i.e., noticable by me, not by anyone else if you know what I mean).
Old 10/8/10, 07:35 PM
Cobra R Member

They didn't even remove the lenses when spraying it? WTF? That's like MAACO quality.

Edit: Jesus rollerskating Christ I just saw the part about it being a mobile repair. Dude. Not a good idea. I've seen those guys spray painting cars in the parking lot of my work. Seriously? Being outside is not a paint booth. My suggestion is to buy all new parts and find an established Body Shop on yelp.com.

At this point going with a painted Roush bumper is an excellent suggestion!

Last edited by Adam; 10/8/10 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10/9/10, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know your pain! I had some damage to my rear 3/4 that I got fixed through insurance. The shop screwed it up twice. There were endless amounts of fish-eyes in the paint and you could see the ****ty sanding job they did in an area under the clearcoat. I was on them all the time throughout the process and they still managed to screw it up again. I verbally destroyed the manager and got my insurance company involved. Eventually they pulled their thumbs out of their asses and did a good job. Unfortunately a good shop with people who take pride in their job is hard to come by nowadays...
Old 10/9/10, 06:37 AM
I lust for a M24

Just some ideas to try to hopefully save you some money. You shouldn't need to replace anything. Remove the turn signal and bulb and run some water in your kitchen sink. Get some 1500+ grit sandpaper and dip it in a bowl of water and dish soap, then remove the overspray with the water running over the lamp. After you get a feel for that, you can remove the headlight and do the same thing, but I'd do it outside w/ a bucket and garden hose being careful not to get water into the housing. That should take care of the lights, no problem. A little bit of polish over top and they'll look like this never happened.
As far as the chin spoiler, I'd remove it and take a trip to your auto supply store. Get a can of adhesion promoter (clear) and a can of black trim paint. Wash the part with dish soap and a rag to remove any silicones from armor-all, etc. Lay 2 light coats of adhesion promoter and then 2-3 light coats of the trim paint (for rubberized plastic). I bought my Legend chin spoiler scratch-n-dent. It had a chunk missing from bad packaging. I rebuilt the damaged section and painted exactly as I described above. A couple years later nobody has ever known that I bought it damaged and that it's not the original finish. (it's held up perfect too). Hey, if it doesn't work you're out less than $20 for the supplies.
I'd still have the bumper cover itself fixed professionally. I don't think you'd be happy any other way. Good luck.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 10/9/10 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10/9/10, 07:04 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Was that done by Maaco (called something like that) $150 bumper painting sale they are having? Looks bad, take it to a good paint and body shop. They will make it look new again.
Old 10/9/10, 07:36 AM
GT Member

That my friend is el cheapo job-fish eyes and trash(nibs) is what they call the blemishes. I can promise you a good body shop would make it look 100% better.I would do this before ordering another cover.
Old 10/10/10, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with the majority here and just have this one repainted. Thanks for the tips on fixing my chin spoiler John, I might have to give that a shot. I did ask him how they paint outside with getting dirt in it and he said they have a mobile tent they use. Well, there was no tent and the last time he did it in his shop. Do you think doing this will hurt my chances if I do take him to court since I won't have anything but pics then? It's not so much the money but I know I'm not the first he has done this to and gotten away with it. Hell, he won the best of Las Vegas award last year. I am also smarter now on on-line reviews. Some of mine have disappeared because they were deemed as being false and coming from a competitor and on some other sites a whole wealth of positive reviews were posted right after mine to get their rating back up. Thanks again.
Old 10/10/10, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

nope it wont hurt your chances having it redone. lol as long as you have pictures youll be fine. they wont let you take your car into the courtroom lol so as far as they will know your bumper is still like that. just make sure you get a reciept when you get the bumper fixed and take that to court just incase they see your car in the parking lot and take pictures of the repainted bumper and try to use that as evidence
Old 10/10/10, 12:50 PM
I lust for a M24

It is so obvious that it's a crappy repair, I can't even believe they would let that go to court. It really should be an immediate refund and an apology IMO.
Old 10/10/10, 01:10 PM
GT Member

Walk down to the body shop, and give them a swift kick in the ***. I could paint that bumper better with crayons FFS.

Quick Reply: Bad bumper repair...time for newtakeoff.com?