Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Automatic transmissions - no sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/10, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic transmissions - no sport mode?

BMW has a sport mode on some of their vehicles that prevents the automatic transmission from up shifting to the lowest possible gear. During spirited driving, this makes the car feel more like a manual as it doesn't have to down shift as often when you hit the accelerator. Why doesn't Ford have something similar on the Mustang?

Last edited by Adam; 4/1/10 at 03:10 PM.
Old 4/1/10, 03:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably wasn't a high enough priority when they picked the auto tranny for the car. Sure it would be nice. Is it a make or break for auto buyers? In most cases probably not. They probably figured most enthusisats will opt for the manual anyways. And the enthusiasts that prefer auto will just get whatever tune, stalls, etc they want anyway.

It's just a matter of design tradeoff
Old 4/1/10, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam2004
BMW has a sport mode on some of their vehicles that prevents the automatic transmission from down shifting to the lowest possible gear. During spirited driving, this makes the car feel more like a manual as it doesn't have to down shift as often when you hit the accelerator. Why doesn't Ford have something similar on the Mustang?
Ford figures that buyers of automatic cars are looking more for ease of driving and comfort and performance buyers will buy manuals.

After all the comments by the press about the automatics not being available with a manual mode we may see them change that in a year or two.

Also, Ford is starting to get deep into developement of their own Double Clutch automated manual transmissions and maybe one day we will get that technology in a Mustang replacing regular automatics completely. Now that would be COOL!!!
Old 4/1/10, 03:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Also, Ford is starting to get deep into development of their own Double Clutch automated manual transmissions and maybe one day we will get that technology in a Mustang replacing regular automatics completely. Now that would be COOL!!!
That's what I would like.

The lack of a manual mode really is a shocker. Heck, there are tons of sub 200hp vehicles out there with this functionality.

I guess we have to wait for 2013 (2014 Model Year) for a real automatic trans (DCT).

Last edited by Adam; 4/1/10 at 03:17 PM.
Old 4/1/10, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I read something in the Owner's manual about there being a sport mode integrated into the AdvanceTrac system but the manual doesn't say what it's packaged with. Is this a V6 performance pack/Brambo pack only feature or is it standard with AdvanceTrac?
Old 4/1/10, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Advance trac is the Ford moniker for traction control. Nothing to do with the trans.
Most cars with a select shift feature on their automatics are simply gimmicks that don't work like a manual tranny will.
Old 4/1/10, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

i hope the 5.0 has so much power that it does not have to be at 7000 to have power and with that to be sporty - maybe position 3 is bit sportier?
Old 4/1/10, 03:56 PM
V6 Member

I'm dissappointed that there is no shift gate or paddles for the automatic.

Even kia compacts and cute utes come with this.

I quess this is the downside of using a truck transmission.
Old 4/1/10, 04:01 PM
Cobra R Member

As an owner of the auto in the 2010... I can call upon any gear.
With the 5 speed auto you have the 1-2-3-D (O/D) setup. With system over ride to not over rev any gear.

I play with the 1-2-3 setup quite a bit, and if I want the extra rev on the highway I'll just turn the O/D off and at 65mph it'll go from 1900-2100RPM to about 3000-3200RPM. So there's some user input in the auto if needed for more spirited drive.

As far as offering a more feasible "sport" function... I'm all for it.
Old 4/1/10, 04:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?

It really has nothing to do with the tranny I'm sure. I think it is more a case of cost and percieved demand. The tranny being all electronic, they can make a self shift, they just have to believe there is enough demand for it.

Like I stated, maybe next year they will add a self shift feature if all the talk about it gets to the right people at Ford.
Old 4/1/10, 07:47 PM
GT Member

I just do not understand why people feel the need for a seperate "sport shift gate" that uses the stock shift lever and is branched off the existing shift gate that already does the same function. Or steering wheel mounted auto tranny shift controls for that matter.

I'm repeating myself from a previous post on the subject but I really hope that Ford does not succumb to this perceived need for redundant controls. What's next, a second steering wheel on the passenger side so drivers and riders can swap control without changing seats?

If you own an automatic and you feel the need to occasionally bang through the gears, use the **** shift lever...if that's not enough for you then pony up to a manual and learn to actually drive...
Old 4/1/10, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?

Are you trolling? Seriously, just read my post above yours. The Kia has the same slushbox "manu-matic" operation that several manufacturers have offered since the '90's. Its purely a sales gimmick. You shift it up, it waits and thinks and decides if it should shift. Nothing resembling a true manual transmission.
Come on Ford, give us a DCT!
Old 4/1/10, 08:13 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Kevindust
I just do not understand why people feel the need for a seperate "sport shift gate" that uses the stock shift lever and is branched off the existing shift gate that already does the same function. Or steering wheel mounted auto tranny shift controls for that matter.

I'm repeating myself from a previous post on the subject but I really hope that Ford does not succumb to this perceived need for redundant controls. What's next, a second steering wheel on the passenger side so drivers and riders can swap control without changing seats?

If you own an automatic and you feel the need to occasionally bang through the gears, use the **** shift lever...if that's not enough for you then pony up to a manual and learn to actually drive...
The shift lever on the 2011 does not control all the gears in the tranny, only has 1,2,3,D slots and the computer still decides when and how fast to shift.

Best bet is to just buy the manual tranny.
Old 4/1/10, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

The key is on how they will execute such a tranny. Go drive a BMW with the paddle shifters (335i) and I have to say for an automatic (non DCT or SMG) that tranny kicks butt. Lightning quick shifts, lets you hold redline all day long and really is a sweet piece. Remember, I'm not talking about the DCT that's in the M3's but an auto tranny with a torque converter.

On the other hand you have the automatic in the Fusion that has the manual shift function and it is a major disappointment, in this respect it is all marketing hype as the actual piece leaves a lot to be desired.

So it all depends on the execution of the tranny wether or not it is just a marketing gimmick or a real slick piece.

Dave
Old 4/1/10, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Kevindust

You come across angry because someone has a different opinion then yourself. I for one feel that if the auto tranny has a usefull manual function that would be nice, I prefer a manual tranny. However, I can see why someone might want an auto for those heavy traffic days and then use the manual feature carving up his favorite canyon road. You are overblowing it by thinking that having a paddle shift system is a redundant control ala 2nd steering wheel.

Come on Ford, give us a DCT!
Yes!!
Old 4/1/10, 08:35 PM
GTR Member

My nieces 350Z has the auto with the shifter with the second gate that has the up and down shift, it works like a champ, super fast shifts. Her daddy was ready to kick my behind for showing my niece how it worked and how fast her car really was. She had never driven it hard until after I took her for a ride in it!
Old 4/1/10, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

A DCT would be best. Of course the one used by Audi, Porsche, and BMW are a 3,500 dollar option.
Old 4/1/10, 10:25 PM
FR500 Member

A Ford version of a DCT would be nice. If executed properly. Not a fan of the "sport AT" with flappy paddles and the +/- gate on the console.
Old 4/1/10, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd wager this would be in the next generation of Mustang. For now, just be happy that we're getting 6-speed autos and manuals...
Old 4/2/10, 05:25 AM
V6 Member

[QUOTE=
I play with the 1-2-3 setup quite a bit, and if I want the extra rev on the highway I'll just turn the O/D off and at 65mph it'll go from 1900-2100RPM to about 3000-3200RPM. [/QUOTE]

When you are in position 3, does it drive in general in lower gears? (Also at f.i. with 35mph?)

Quick Reply: Automatic transmissions - no sport mode?