2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

An audio and weight question about the Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An audio and weight question about the Mustang.

I am debating weather or not to put a woofer in the trunk. The woofer is about 40 pounds, it's a JBL. The woofer will add weight to the rear tires which is good because it'll give it more traction for the quarter mile. So there is good and bad in terms of adding the 40 pound woofer in the trunk. What happened was I put dynamat in the doors and it still rattles when I turn up my shaker 500. My plan is to turn down the bass in the head unit, but turn up the gain on the amplifer that the woofer will be using. They ripped out the moisture membrane in the door panel and put 2 layers of dynamat, still rattles......What is your opinion about this? I have 2012 premium with the shaker 500, all stock speakers.
Old 1/16/12, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

Personally I don't see a need to have that much bass, its not likely that you'll ever stop every rattle. More weight in the back? There are better ways to get more taction at the track like softening ur rear end and getting better tires. if having tons of bass makes you happy then by all means. Just get something smaller like a pair of 10" or a 12" that way you can feel it and maybe u can locate the rattles. Shedding weight in the front is always better than adding weights in the back.
Old 1/16/12, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by irishn8
Personally I don't see a need to have that much bass, its not likely that you'll ever stop every rattle. More weight in the back? There are better ways to get more taction at the track like softening ur rear end and getting better tires. if having tons of bass makes you happy then by all means. Just get something smaller like a pair of 10" or a 12" that way you can feel it and maybe u can locate the rattles. Shedding weight in the front is always better than adding weights in the back.
The professional audio shop ripped out my moisture membrane today on my passenger side door (behind the door panel). He added two layers of dynamat, both on the plastic panel and the metal door, Will removing the moisture membrane and adding dynamat cause any harm being that now there's no moisture membrane? thanks for the help
Old 1/17/12, 02:09 AM
V6 Member

I haven't used dynamat yet but from what I see from pictures, it looks waterproof. I'm sure its fine.
Old 1/17/12, 05:27 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
The professional audio shop ripped out my moisture membrane today on my passenger side door (behind the door panel). He added two layers of dynamat, both on the plastic panel and the metal door, Will removing the moisture membrane and adding dynamat cause any harm being that now there's no moisture membrane? thanks for the help
If they did that to my vehicle WITHOUT permission, they'd be paying for the reinstallation of the moisture membrane, or anything else they felt they needed to remove.
Old 1/17/12, 08:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is a moisture membrane? Whatever it is it sounds important and I'd put it back in. Have you ever taken your car through the wash and listened to the water that pours into the doors from the little open spot at the front of the window strip?? I'm sure whatever that is they removed probably protects your car in a specific way.
Old 1/17/12, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
What is a moisture membrane? Whatever it is it sounds important and I'd put it back in. Have you ever taken your car through the wash and listened to the water that pours into the doors from the little open spot at the front of the window strip?? I'm sure whatever that is they removed probably protects your car in a specific way.
It looks like a white plastic bag taped to your door frame with adhesive. I took it off my 98 and 07 when adding Dynamat with no noticeable issue.
Old 1/17/12, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scruffy281

It looks like a white plastic bag taped to your door frame with adhesive. I took it off my 98 and 07 when adding Dynamat with no noticeable issue.
On my older cars I've never noticed water pour into the doors like the 11+ do. That's probably ok to do if you don't ever drive in the elements, but I believe Will's is his DD. I'm just thinking long term and rust or corrosion to the window and lock electronic connections.
Old 1/17/12, 10:47 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I am debating weather or not to put a woofer in the trunk. The woofer is about 40 pounds, it's a JBL. The woofer will add weight to the rear tires which is good because it'll give it more traction for the quarter mile. So there is good and bad in terms of adding the 40 pound woofer in the trunk. What happened was I put dynamat in the doors and it still rattles when I turn up my shaker 500. My plan is to turn down the bass in the head unit, but turn up the gain on the amplifer that the woofer will be using. They ripped out the moisture membrane in the door panel and put 2 layers of dynamat, still rattles......What is your opinion about this? I have 2012 premium with the shaker 500, all stock speakers.
So you want to add subs and get rid of rattles? Sorry, but I don't see it happening. The subs are gonna continuously shake things loose over time.
Old 1/17/12, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
So you want to add subs and get rid of rattles? Sorry, but I don't see it happening. The subs are gonna continuously shake things loose over time.
My FIRST priority would be to get rid of the rattle in my passenger side woofer/door. I spent $200 to have 2 layers of dynamat installed in the passenger and door and it did nothing. I feel bad...I threw $200 down the drain. The rattle is nothing very loud, however, you can hear it when you turn up the bass. The driver's side woofer and door is fine, just the **** passenger side. When I went to sleep last night..I thought about something...do you think something like debris got into the woofer grill on my passenger side and the debris is now stuck inside the grill? it's the only thing I can think of......I want to check, can the woofer grill come off?

Last edited by Will3212; 1/17/12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 1/17/12, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
On my older cars I've never noticed water pour into the doors like the 11+ do. That's probably ok to do if you don't ever drive in the elements, but I believe Will's is his DD. I'm just thinking long term and rust or corrosion to the window and lock electronic connections.
The 2 layers of dynamat is there now. Shouldn't those 2 layers stop the moisture from entering into the cabin.
Old 1/17/12, 12:17 PM
V6 Member

Yes it should
Old 1/17/12, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The dynamat must be in the same location as the water barrier was in so it ca do the same job, plus be able to allow the water to run off of itself.
Old 1/17/12, 04:56 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My FIRST priority would be to get rid of the rattle in my passenger side woofer/door. I spent $200 to have 2 layers of dynamat installed in the passenger and door and it did nothing. I feel bad...I threw $200 down the drain. The rattle is nothing very loud, however, you can hear it when you turn up the bass. The driver's side woofer and door is fine, just the **** passenger side. When I went to sleep last night..I thought about something...do you think something like debris got into the woofer grill on my passenger side and the debris is now stuck inside the grill? it's the only thing I can think of......I want to check, can the woofer grill come off?
This may be a stupid question, but...There's nothing in the little door pocket, right?

And before spending anymore money on it, I'd say to start taking things apart yourself. Look for anything hanging around that could rattle off of something inside the door and anything around the speaker (or in the grill as you suggested). Surely you can narrow down where the rattle is coming from.
Old 1/17/12, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Is it posible ur sub or speaker is blown? They rattle when they are blown. Also if u pull those panels off urself, be very careful and look to make sure its coming off correctly. I'm tired of getting used cars with broken panels lol. If u take the door panel off, there are a few scews to remove first, just a few though. The bottom of the panel just pulls off (gently), the top lifts off after u clear the handle.
Old 1/17/12, 11:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
The dynamat must be in the same location as the water barrier was in so it ca do the same job, plus be able to allow the water to run off of itself.
the entire panel both the plastic and the metal has dynamat on it.
Old 1/18/12, 12:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by irishn8
Is it posible ur sub or speaker is blown? They rattle when they are blown. Also if u pull those panels off urself, be very careful and look to make sure its coming off correctly. I'm tired of getting used cars with broken panels lol. If u take the door panel off, there are a few scews to remove first, just a few though. The bottom of the panel just pulls off (gently), the top lifts off after u clear the handle.
when i took it to the pro audio shop he said nothing about a blown woofer. I guess they would know. Do you think I should just put in the subwoofer in the trunk and turn down the woofers in my doors? I mean 40 more pounds in the trunk shouldn't affect acceleration or whatever right
Old 1/18/12, 12:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
This may be a stupid question, but...There's nothing in the little door pocket, right?

And before spending anymore money on it, I'd say to start taking things apart yourself. Look for anything hanging around that could rattle off of something inside the door and anything around the speaker (or in the grill as you suggested). Surely you can narrow down where the rattle is coming from.
I already know where the rattling is coming from. It's coming from the end of the map pocket area. Basically the opposite end of where the woofer is. Nothing in the map pocket. I'm starting to wonder if it's the door lock thing that moves up and down when you press the lock and unlock button. No one else on here has this rattling noise when the volume and bass is turned up?
Old 1/18/12, 12:52 AM
V6 Member

I do, its in my door somewhere. I think it doesn't always rattle or I don't always notice it. I say go for it man, find the rattle, install subs and enjoy ur car!
Old 1/18/12, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the entire panel both the plastic and the metal has dynamat on it.
]

The original water barrier also covered the holes in the metal inner door panel and was molded to fit around the various components. If they did not cover the entire panel, including over the holes, then its not doing its job.

Additionally, the water barrier is usually molded to shed water into planned drain holes. If they did not set it up properly, it's not draining.

Quick Reply: An audio and weight question about the Mustang.