2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Attention people Who have exhaust set ups

Old 2/2/11, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attention people Who have exhaust set ups

I really really want to do a complete exhaust modifacation. But I just don't want axel backs. I was wondering if anyone with long tubes, x pipes, H pipes have had any engine or any type of coding flash up on them? Cuz as much as I want a set up, I dont want an annoying check engine light or anything keep flashing up.

Thanks for your time
Old 2/2/11, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont have the headers but i do have the magnaflow xpipe and magnaflow competition catback and I did not need to do any kind of tune or whatnot for the system. Bolt it up and enjoy!
Old 2/2/11, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Dont have the headers but i do have the magnaflow xpipe and magnaflow competition catback and I did not need to do any kind of tune or whatnot for the system. Bolt it up and enjoy!

Have you had any problems with your setup? Such as any Check engine lighting or anything of that nature because of the exhaust?
Old 2/2/11, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
I really really want to do a complete exhaust modifacation. But I just don't want axel backs. I was wondering if anyone with long tubes, x pipes, H pipes have had any engine or any type of coding flash up on them? Cuz as much as I want a set up, I dont want an annoying check engine light or anything keep flashing up.

Thanks for your time
If you're not messing with the catalytic converters at all you won't have a problem. This pretty much bars you from doing long tube headers, or any type of system that deletes the catalytic converters.

Systems that replace the cats "shouldn't" trip the low catalyst efficiency CEL, but it can happen.

If you want to do headers, you'll want to also get a tune for it which will address o2 sensor heating as well as the catalyst efficiency CEL.
Old 2/2/11, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
If you're not messing with the catalytic converters at all you won't have a problem. This pretty much bars you from doing long tube headers, or any type of system that deletes the catalytic converters.

Systems that replace the cats "shouldn't" trip the low catalyst efficiency CEL, but it can happen.

If you want to do headers, you'll want to also get a tune for it which will address o2 sensor heating as well as the catalyst efficiency CEL.
Theres your answer^^
Old 2/2/11, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry I'm not really car efficient. So does this mean I can't do headers? But will I still be ok if I do axel backs with either a x pipe or h pipe?
Old 2/2/11, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry I'm not really car efficient. So does this mean I can't do headers? But will I still be ok if I do axel backs with either a x pipe or h pipe?
Every long tube header moves the catalytic converters or deletes them. That depends on what type of mid pipe you run (x or h pipe).

High flow catalytic converters are supposed to function as well as the stock units, but my experience is that sometimes they don't and will trip a check engine light for low catalyst efficiency.

The other problem with headers has to do with heating cycles for the oxygen sensors. The long tube headers move the o2 sensors downstream from the heads. This means they don't heat up as fast which will also trip a check engine light on a stock engine.

You need a tune to correct this issue. I wouldn't be afraid of this if your set on headers though. Tuning is ridiculously easy these days.

I get the feeling based on your posts that you are looking more for the sound. If that's the case, I would start with your axleback system. You may be satisfied and you won't have to deal with any check engine lights. If you're looking for a big performance boost, I'd do the full system with hi-flow cats and get the necessary tuning for it. While you're at it, I'd add an intake, since you're having the tune done anyway.
Old 2/2/11, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Every long tube header moves the catalytic converters or deletes them. That depends on what type of mid pipe you run (x or h pipe).

High flow catalytic converters are supposed to function as well as the stock units, but my experience is that sometimes they don't and will trip a check engine light for low catalyst efficiency.

The other problem with headers has to do with heating cycles for the oxygen sensors. The long tube headers move the o2 sensors downstream from the heads. This means they don't heat up as fast which will also trip a check engine light on a stock engine.

You need a tune to correct this issue. I wouldn't be afraid of this if your set on headers though. Tuning is ridiculously easy these days.

I get the feeling based on your posts that you are looking more for the sound. If that's the case, I would start with your axleback system. You may be satisfied and you won't have to deal with any check engine lights. If you're looking for a big performance boost, I'd do the full system with hi-flow cats and get the necessary tuning for it. While you're at it, I'd add an intake, since you're having the tune done anyway.

Wow man that is some great info. Thank you very much. I'm looking for sound and the performance boost as well. So it would be safe to so if I get the axel backs with either the x pipe or h pipe and get it tuned I won have any problems at all?
Old 2/2/11, 09:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow man that is some great info. Thank you very much. I'm looking for sound and the performance boost as well. So it would be safe to so if I get the axel backs with either the x pipe or h pipe and get it tuned I won have any problems at all?
Nope not at all. The tune will also allow you full control of the throttle. The factory throttle by wire system rolls into the throttle regardless of how fast you press it. This is done for several reasons, but the most obvious are fuel efficiency and easy on drivetrain parts.

The throttle response gain alone from a tune is worth the cost.

Give American Muscle a call and talk with Chris Rose, or send him a PM here. He'll tell you everything you need to know about the tuning process. It doesn't require removal of the ecu, cleaning, installing of a chip etc any longer. It's about a 5 minute process that anybody can do.

I should also note that the low catalyst efficiency check engine light, while annoying doesn't affect vehicle performance at all. It's just letting you know that the car's emission system isn't functioning at factory specs.

The o2 heating CEL I believe can change some engine parameters though.
Old 2/2/11, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Nope not at all. The tune will also allow you full control of the throttle. The factory throttle by wire system rolls into the throttle regardless of how fast you press it. This is done for several reasons, but the most obvious are fuel efficiency and easy on drivetrain parts.

The throttle response gain alone from a tune is worth the cost.

Give American Muscle a call and talk with Chris Rose, or send him a PM here. He'll tell you everything you need to know about the tuning process. It doesn't require removal of the ecu, cleaning, installing of a chip etc any longer. It's about a 5 minute process that anybody can do.

I should also note that the low catalyst efficiency check engine light, while annoying doesn't affect vehicle performance at all. It's just letting you know that the car's emission system isn't functioning at factory specs.

The o2 heating CEL I believe can change some engine parameters though.

With my tax money I was planning to get a exhaust set up, or should I first get the tune and intake then the exhaust?
Old 2/2/11, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

With my tax money I was planning to get a exhaust set up, or should I first get the tune and intake then the exhaust?
Depends on how much you're looking to spend. If you do the intake and headers at the same time, you can do one tune.

Purchase and install them separately and you'll need a tune to cover one of hte items, then you'll need an update for the second.

If you can only do one, do the intake.
Old 2/3/11, 04:41 AM
GTR Member

Running the Corsa X-pipe with the axle-back setup and have had no issues to date.
Old 2/3/11, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Depends on how much you're looking to spend. If you do the intake and headers at the same time, you can do one tune.

Purchase and install them separately and you'll need a tune to cover one of hte items, then you'll need an update for the second.

If you can only do one, do the intake.

Thanks alot for your input, amazing stuff.
Looks like I will get a tune an intake combo first, then start to get the exhaust set up.

Thanks alot man.