Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone planning to store for the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/10, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone planning to store for the winter?

I live in the Chicago area, and I'm thinking about storing my car for the cold season. I'm not going to let it hibernate for six months. I'd drive it maybe once or twice a week, when it's not too snowy out.

I've seen a lot of advice on how to store a car for the entire winter, but does anyone have advice on what steps I should take if I plan to drive once or twice a week? Do I have to do anything special? What if we have a really snowy spell and I go two or three weeks without driving? Would that be a problem for the car?
Old 11/9/10, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine sits for most of the winter (usually by Thanksgiving it is parked with the insurance changed) as I refuse to take it out if there is any sign of salt on the roads. But I do install a battery tender for any down time more than a couple weeks along with keeping tabs on the tire pressure. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Old 11/9/10, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doogie
Mine sits for most of the winter (usually by Thanksgiving it is parked with the insurance changed) as I refuse to take it out if there is any sign of salt on the roads. But I do install a battery tender for any down time more than a couple weeks along with keeping tabs on the tire pressure. Otherwise, you should be fine.
Thanks. Good to know. Salt is definitely the enemy. I'll let my 5-year old Prius deal with that stuff. I just wish we had a 3-care garage. The Prius will probably be stuck in the driveway all winter, making it hard to shovel.
Old 11/9/10, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be storing my car also for this year and use my 2000 Accord coupe for winter. Since I have to rent a garage not sure if I'll be doing the same next year. I'm only planning to take it for a quick spin once in awhile during winter just to keep everything lube and battery charged. Is a car cover a must even if keep inside a garage?
Old 11/9/10, 02:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's this 'winter' thing you guys are talking about?
Old 11/9/10, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Ill be storing as soon as it gets here...any special things to do for a brand new car being stored?

getting a car cover, going to stabilize the fuel and unhook the battery...what else?

great thread!
Old 11/9/10, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by danimal15
Thanks. Good to know. Salt is definitely the enemy. I'll let my 5-year old Prius deal with that stuff. I just wish we had a 3-care garage. The Prius will probably be stuck in the driveway all winter, making it hard to shovel.
I hear you as that is why my new house was designed with 2-2 car garages... so our 2 Accords along with the 'Stang all get to stay inside And when it drops below freezing, I fire up the heater.
Old 11/9/10, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

I'm with you... what's winter? Snow? Salt? Huh? j/k

Not planning of putting it away - it's my daily driver! And there's definitely no snow, ice or salt on our roads down here. The only salt is in the air from the ocean...
Old 11/9/10, 03:41 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal15
Do I have to do anything special? What if we have a really snowy spell and I go two or three weeks without driving? Would that be a problem for the car?
No - not with the scenario you describe.
Old 11/9/10, 05:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
I'm only planning to take it for a quick spin once in awhile during winter just to keep everything lube and battery charged. Is a car cover a must even if keep inside a garage?
I don't use a car cover, but my garage is heated and fairly clean.
You might want one in a cold or dusty garage.
Old 11/9/10, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 GT

Not planning of putting it away - it's my daily driver! And there's definitely no snow, ice or salt on our roads down here. The only salt is in the air from the ocean...
This winter thing doesn't sound very fun.
Old 11/9/10, 10:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2011 GT

Originally Posted by Fire512
This winter thing doesn't sound very fun.
no mustang = no fun

Sorry guys, I will add something useful to this thread: I think if you leave it sitting for 2 weeks or less its ok. You can always go warm the engine and then shut it down again..
Old 11/9/10, 10:15 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
no mustang = no fun

Sorry guys, I will add something useful to this thread: I think if you leave it sitting for 2 weeks or less its ok. You can always go warm the engine and then shut it down again..
Make sure to open a window or the garage door, because that's how stupid people expire.
Old 11/10/10, 05:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
battery tender is your friend. If your car is going to sit for more than two weeks put a tender on it. Starting your car for a little while every couple of weeks will do it no good unless you drive it for at least 30 to 40 minutes
Old 11/10/10, 05:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Reality has finally hit, I just ordered a ctek 3300 battery charger/maintainer and a coverking mosom2 car cover. I have a clean garage but unheated. Does any recommend stabil to add to the gas ? Do I fill the tank all the way before I put it into hibernation and add the stabil do I even need stabil. I will probably try and start it once a month and let it run for a good 20 minutes in the dead of winter. This is something new for me also, never had the luxury of storing a car over the winter.
Old 11/10/10, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Papi's Pony
Does any recommend stabil to add to the gas ? Do I fill the tank all the way before I put it into hibernation and add the stabil do I even need stabil. I will probably try and start it once a month and let it run for a good 20 minutes in the dead of winter.
You should fill the tank, add the Stabil and then drive it around for about 10 minutes to get it all circulated. I have heard that it is better not to start it because of possible condensation? I have stored mine every winter with a battery tender without starting it and it has always started 1st time in the spring. I also over-inflate the tires to about 40 lbs to prevent flatting.
Old 11/10/10, 07:15 AM
Cobra R Member

what is this garage queen crap about? I am disappoint.
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Make sure to open a window or the garage door, because that's how stupid people expire.
LMAO!!!!^
Old 11/10/10, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Sadly, my house doesn't have a garage. I don't plan on letting the Mustang sit all winter, but if there's any salt on the road, I'll be driving my 94 Explorer.

Anything I should do for it while it's sitting outside?
Old 11/10/10, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Unfortunately, my car will get here when there is salt on the road. I'd prefer to not drive it through the salt, but if I need to, the car will be run through a touchless car wash that reaches the undercarriage at least once a week. This all depends on snowfall and when salt is applied.
Old 11/10/10, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Nope, I'll be driving mine all winter, except if there's more than 2 inches of snow on the ground, then it stays in the garage.

200 lbs of sandbags in the trunk helps with traction

Thankfully they don't salt here; but lots of sanding. Clearbra helps with the chips...

Last edited by born2run74; 11/10/10 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone planning to store for the winter?