Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

anyone know the correct "how to" clean a 2011+ ETC TB?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/14, 05:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone know the correct "how to" clean a 2011+ ETC TB?

I've been running a Brenspeed tune since September 2013 with zero issues but since it's gotten 90+ here in Texas when running the AC my idle sometimes drops pretty low (and so far stalled once) when I'm decelerate in stop and go situations. I talked to Brenspeed and they said first thing to do is clean the TB. I don't see any harm in following there suggestion to see if it corrects the problem.
I have no issue physically removing the TB if necessary. I'm old school and have never fooled with a electronic controlled throttle body. Is it as simple as just unplugging all the electrical connections, etc... then re-installing? Or is there calibrations that would need done when I put it back on.

Thanks

Last edited by GT50GO; 6/21/14 at 05:30 AM.
Old 6/21/14, 05:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
It is exactly that simple. Just remove intake tube, the electrical connectors, bolts and nuts, and then clean with *throttle body* cleaner. Not straight 'carb cleaner', for that will screw up the coating inside.

You can get the TB's nooks and crannies on the butterfly with a rag and some cleaner, and you can move the butterfly without hurting the thing, it'll just spring shut. You'll see yourself.

Now, what I do when I clean my TB is to also take the negative cable off of the battery so that while I'm cleaning it, the computer's forgetting it's old program with the crusty TB.

You then reinstall everything, then put the cable back on. DO NOT start your car yet. Just turn it to on. Push down on the throttle pedal, about 5 seconds from '0' to firewall, then release the pedal. Start your car, go drive for 10 miles. That's it. All done!

Last edited by houtex; 6/21/14 at 05:50 PM.
Old 6/21/14, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex

You then reinstall everything, then put the cable back on.
Thanks for the reply, I've cleaned many a cable controlled TB in my years but never a ECT (electronic controlled throttle) TB. I'm just wondering if there's anything different for the ECT TB such as having to re-calibrate or go through some kind of re-learn. All the research I've done is not 100% clear. I think I'll wait until next weekend because I have to be at the airport early Monday morning and will be gone all week for work. I'll be in town all of next week so in case something does go "badly" I can get it fixed during the week.
I'm going to be using CRC throttle body cleaner and I will definitely disconnect the ground just to be on the safe side, I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks,
Old 6/21/14, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, sorry. By 'cable', I mean the negative terminal of the battery. There is no cable on the TB on these cars, it's all done with a motor and sensor.

You take the negative terminal off the battery first to ensure the computer goes back to factory specifications on its programming, so it will recalibrate correctly with your newly cleaned TB. That's what the 10 miles after you start the car is for. If you didn't wipe the computer, it would try very hard to use the dirty throttle body 'learned' programming, and trust me, that's not going to be a very pleasant thing. I did that once, learned my lesson.

So to recap, my method:

Remove negative terminal from battery. The ensures the learned programming from the dirty throttle body is not retained, and the computer goes to a factory default programming map.

Remove, clean, and reinstall throttle body.

Reattach negative terminal to battery.

Get in car, turn to ON, but DO NOT start it.

Depress throttle pedal slowly, so that it takes about 5 seconds to get to the floor, then release. This trains the computer to know what the range of motion is on the pedal (or so I've been lead to believe...)

Start car, drive for 10 miles. Both modestly, and some stompage. Computer is now recalibrated to the pedal and clean throttle body.

Hope that helps ya! It's not to be scared of. As the Nike slogan said, "Just do it!"

Last edited by houtex; 6/21/14 at 09:10 PM.
Old 6/22/14, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh, sorry. By 'cable', I mean the negative terminal of the battery.

It's not to be scared of.
Ah... I see, ya I thought you were talking about a "old school" TB LOL.

It's not that I'm scared to do this I just wanted to be as informed as possible before fooling around with computerized stuff I've never dealt with before. Since this is my only car right now I just have to be careful of when I do what in case of something going wrong. Since the car is very drivable and it will be sitting at airport parking all week anyway I'll wait until next weekend to do this.
Thanks for the tips, I'll post next weekend on my results.
Old 6/22/14, 06:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Since you are pulling the air intake tube off, you might as well buy MAF cleaner and spray and clean it. Not sure if you are running a wet or dry filter, but wet/oil filters can leave deposits on the MAF sensors.
Old 6/22/14, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and you can move the butterfly without hurting the thing, it'll just spring shut.
Are you sure you can do this with an electronic TB? I remember the butterfly feeling like it was pretty locked in place. But I guess I didn't push on it too hard
Old 6/22/14, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Since you are pulling the air intake tube off, you might as well buy MAF cleaner and spray and clean it. Not sure if you are running a wet or dry filter, but wet/oil filters can leave deposits on the MAF sensors.
Thanks, yes I 'm going to look into that. The cleaner I purchased is for both and has good reviews on the net.

Originally Posted by Tron84
Are you sure you can do this with an electronic TB? I remember the butterfly feeling like it was pretty locked in place. But I guess I didn't push on it too hard
Some research I've done indicates you are correct, other does not. Did you actually remove the TB? I was hoping the butterflies would be easily manipulated when all the connections are off and the TB is removed. Right now if I run into resistance once removed I don't think I'll force them open since it should not be very dirty I hope spraying the TB cleaner in there then cleaning around the area multiple times will be good enough. I'll find out next Saturday and report.
Thanks,
Old 6/22/14, 11:27 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT50GO
Thanks, yes I 'm going to look into that. The cleaner I purchased is for both and has good reviews on the net.
Are you sure? MAF is an electrical cleaner (hexane isomers...), TB cleaner is designed to remove baked on sludge (acetone, heptane isomers, diacetone alcohol...). My CRC are separate products. TB cleaner says it should NOT be used on MAF. (Just did this yesterday on my 08.)
Some research I've done indicates you are correct, other does not. Did you actually remove the TB? I was hoping the butterflies would be easily manipulated when all the connections are off and the TB is removed. Right now if I run into resistance once removed I don't think I'll force them open since it should not be very dirty I hope spraying the TB cleaner in there then cleaning around the area multiple times will be good enough. I'll find out next Saturday and report.
Thanks,
It's only 4 connectors (2 long bolt/studs, 2 nuts) and it is sooo much easier to clean with it in your hand. And much less messy. I had to do some hard rubbing on the back side of the bore (27k miles) which I would not have been able to do with the TB still mounted. Same with MAF. Yes - be sure to disconnect the battery so there is no current running around.
Originally Posted by Tron84
Yes the butterflies take firm action to move but once you open it is easier to hold them all the way open. I tried to hold by the edge so as not to rub on the butterfly surface.
The Ford Workshop Manual cautions not to use anything that could scratch either the butterflies or the bore to hold the butterflies open (so yes - they say to open).
The CRC TB Cleaner can says to be sure to spray and move butterflies as you do (so as to clean where the shaft enters the body).
Mine looked clean from the outside but behind the butterflies is where there was baked on sludge on the bore. I had to spray/rub hard with paper towel (or rag)/repeat.
I DO NOT believe you should rub on the butterflies. They say not to use carb cleaner because it removes a coating on the butterflies - so I assumed I should not rub on them. They were clean anyway - its the bore that was dirty.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/22/14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 6/22/14, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Are you sure? MAF is an electrical cleaner (hexane isomers...), TB cleaner is designed to remove baked on sludge (acetone, heptane isomers, diacetone alcohol...). My CRC are separate products. TB cleaner says it should NOT be used on MAF. (Just did this yesterday on my 08.)
Thanks good catch, after looking at the can again it's for TB and air-intake cleaning not MAF cleaning (a case of reading what you want to see LOL).
also thanks for the other info, sounds like it's not going to be a big deal.
Old 6/22/14, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Thanks good catch, after looking at the can again it's for TB and air-intake cleaning not MAF cleaning (a case of reading what you want to see LOL).
also thanks for the other info, sounds like it's not going to be a big deal.

For clarity on the MAF, what I was saying is its much less messy to clean with it in your hand. I did no rubbing on the MAF housing.

<And much less messy. I had to do some hard rubbing on the back side of the bore (27k miles) which I would not have been able to do with the TB still mounted. Same with MAF.>
Old 6/28/14, 12:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I got up early today and jumped on doing the TB cleaning before it was to hot (for me at least). As the pictures shows the front was pretty much spotless but the rear side and were the butterflies sit when closed were pretty dirty. Removing the TB and re installing was no issue and I've driving it about 30 miles in 90 degree weather with the A/C running full bore and so far so good, hardly any idle drop on declaration / stop and go traffic. Also it may just be my imagination but it seems to be a little more responsive. Am I 100% convinced the idle drop issue is fixed.... well let's say I'm 95% sure but the true test will be the 33 mile commute home Monday morning in the afternoon heat. Unless I post again then the problem is fixed.

This is with 10 months on the TB (installed August 2013) and about 9000 miles.

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations.

Last edited by GT50GO; 6/28/14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 6/28/14, 12:51 PM
Post *****

"It was so easy even a cave man... "

Though I was super careful since it was the first time I took it off, its really a snap to do.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/28/14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 6/28/14, 12:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

"It was so easy even a cave man... "

Though I was super careful since it was the first time I took it off, its really a snap to do.
Yes I never doubted that I could remove / re install it, but it was the electronics part and moving the butterflies while cleaning that was making me nervous, turned out with no issues.
Old 6/28/14, 01:02 PM
Post *****

Yes I never doubted that I could remove / re install it, but it was the electronics part and moving the butterflies while cleaning that was making me nervous, turned out with no issues.
Right - the engines I worked on in the past didn't have 37 different plugs/sensors to remove just to get to stuff! lol
Old 7/4/14, 06:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Reviving this thread...few questions. I'll be performing this upon installation of my new roush intake this coming Monday. I will also clean the MAF sensor while I already have it out.

a) does having a supercharged engine make any difference in terms of the process of cleaning the TB? Or does it change the process of "recalibrating" the electronic TB?

b) OP, when you cleaned yours did you follow Houtex's 5 second throttle depress and 10 mile drive relearn?

c) if I understand correctly, once I have the TB physically off the car, the "process" by which to clean it, is literally spray CRC TB cleaner all over, wipe clean (I'll be using a clean microfiber rag), repeat process on entire TB, except the butterfly surface itself? I'm not even supposed to wipe that eh?

d) as far as MAF sensor cleaning, can someone please elaborate on that? I've never done that either. My roush install will be new, so the hole/slot for the MAF will be clean and new...I'm assuming the cleaning is merely directed towards the stock MAF sensor itself? Spray liberally on MAF cable end, on sensor? Wipe dry?

Thanks a ton.
Old 7/4/14, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Reviving this thread...few questions. I'll be performing this upon installation of my new roush intake this coming Monday. I will also clean the MAF sensor while I already have it out.

a) does having a supercharged engine make any difference in terms of the process of cleaning the TB? Or does it change the process of "recalibrating" the electronic TB?

b) OP, when you cleaned yours did you follow Houtex's 5 second throttle depress and 10 mile drive relearn?

c) if I understand correctly, once I have the TB physically off the car, the "process" by which to clean it, is literally spray CRC TB cleaner all over, wipe clean (I'll be using a clean microfiber rag), repeat process on entire TB, except the butterfly surface itself? I'm not even supposed to wipe that eh?

d) as far as MAF sensor cleaning, can someone please elaborate on that? I've never done that either. My roush install will be new, so the hole/slot for the MAF will be clean and new...I'm assuming the cleaning is merely directed towards the stock MAF sensor itself? Spray liberally on MAF cable end, on sensor? Wipe dry?

Thanks a ton.
A: 1st question = NO

A: 2nd question = Disconnect the ground on the battery and yes to the other stuff

A: 3rd question = I did what you described about four times, letting it dry a few minutes between sessions. I sprayed the butterflies multiple times but did not wipe them down hard but did use a soft cloth over them.

A: 4th question = I did not do the MAF

Hope this helps
Old 7/4/14, 09:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Howdy Zto5...

As long as you use the TB cleaner and a soft, clean rag (your microfiber is perfect) then the butterflies can be wiped with no real regret.

What you're trying to prevent is the scratching/destroying of the coating on the parts. That's why it's important to get TB cleaner AND NOTHING else to spray on it, and use soft rags.

I myself have used the Shop Towels to no ill effect. And I've wiped the body and the butterflies, for the point is to decrud the works. If there's crud on the butterflies and you don't wipe it off... well... might as well not even clean it.

These kind, by the way, but not a whole case.. just a roll at a time when I need 'em: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CIoCEKYrMAg

They're soft enough to work and don't mess things up. Of course, I'm sure I'll be blasted to heck and back for admitting I use these, but it works, no ill effects, so far, and I've done this 4 times so far on Awesome. She doesn't seem to care. Then again, it's the 4.6 and not the 5.0, so maybe the 5.0 is more finicky... Heh.

Good luck and dinna worry about it, it'll be fine!

Last edited by houtex; 7/4/14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 7/4/14, 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Howdy Zto5...

As long as you use the TB cleaner and a soft, clean rag (your microfiber is perfect) then the butterflies can be wiped with no real regret.

What you're trying to prevent is the scratching/destroying of the coating on the parts. That's why it's important to get TB cleaner AND NOTHING else to spray on it, and use soft rags.

I myself have used the Shop Towels to no ill effect. And I've wiped the body and the butterflies, for the point is to decrud the works. If there's crud on the butterflies and you don't wipe it off... well... might as well not even clean it.

These kind, by the way, but not a whole case.. just a roll at a time when I need 'em: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CIoCEKYrMAg

They're soft enough to work and don't mess things up. Of course, I'm sure I'll be blasted to heck and back for admitting I use these, but it works, no ill effects, so far, and I've done this 4 times so far on Awesome. She doesn't seem to care. Then again, it's the 4.6 and not the 5.0, so maybe the 5.0 is more finicky... Heh.

Good luck and dinna worry about it, it'll be fine!
Same exact shop towels I use (and use for all sorts of things there great!). However I was little weary of using them on the butterflies so I used a microfiber towel on them and did not rub very hard since they were not bad.

Last edited by GT50GO; 7/4/14 at 10:17 AM.
Old 7/4/14, 02:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
A: 1st question = NO A: 2nd question = Disconnect the ground on the battery and yes to the other stuff A: 3rd question = I did what you described about four times, letting it dry a few minutes between sessions. I sprayed the butterflies multiple times but did not wipe them down hard but did use a soft cloth over them. A: 4th question = I did not do the MAF Hope this helps
Howdy Zto5... As long as you use the TB cleaner and a soft, clean rag (your microfiber is perfect) then the butterflies can be wiped with no real regret. What you're trying to prevent is the scratching/destroying of the coating on the parts. That's why it's important to get TB cleaner AND NOTHING else to spray on it, and use soft rags. I myself have used the Shop Towels to no ill effect. And I've wiped the body and the butterflies, for the point is to decrud the works. If there's crud on the butterflies and you don't wipe it off... well... might as well not even clean it. These kind, by the way, but not a whole case.. just a roll at a time when I need 'em: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CIoCEKYrMAg They're soft enough to work and don't mess things up. Of course, I'm sure I'll be blasted to heck and back for admitting I use these, but it works, no ill effects, so far, and I've done this 4 times so far on Awesome. She doesn't seem to care. Then again, it's the 4.6 and not the 5.0, so maybe the 5.0 is more finicky... Heh. Good luck and dinna worry about it, it'll be fine!
Thanks a ton guys. I appreciate it. I'm all set to clean the TB and maf. I already have the CRC TB cleaner I think. I just went to oreilly and might have to go back lol...

Quick Reply: anyone know the correct "how to" clean a 2011+ ETC TB?