Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone just replace the shift bracket on the MT-82?

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/11, 06:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless
So, how difficult is the Steeda to put on since we are already well into the thread?

Does it require a lift or anything terirribly special?
Nothing special. I did it myself in my garage. Before you do anything make sure the car is cooled off because you are going to be working near the exhaust pipes. I first backed the car up onto 2 Rhino Ramps. Used my floor jack to lift the right front and supported it by a jack stand, did the same on the left. That was the hardest part. The whole bracket install took all of 10 minutes. To remove the stock bracket you'll have to use a 10mm deep wall socket with a socket extension on the socket wrench. Once the bolts are off the bracket is still held on by a small clip which with a little force pulls right down. You'll have to find what works the best for you under there with the drive shaft in the way. I put one hand through the h-pipe and one in front. You have to wiggle the stock bracket off of the base. Once off, slide the Steeda bushing over the base, the red one went on real easy. Then slide the Steeda mount over the bushing with the Steeda logo facing the rear of the car. It helps to pull the base a little to the side to slide it up with the drive shaft there. Make sure it fits snug before you bolt it back up. Then bolt it back up with the same nuts, just don't over tighten them. Thats all it takes. Also it helps to not be clostrophobic..
Hope this helps!
Old 9/29/11, 03:48 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hytek
Nothing special. I did it myself in my garage. Before you do anything make sure the car is cooled off because you are going to be working near the exhaust pipes. I first backed the car up onto 2 Rhino Ramps. Used my floor jack to lift the right front and supported it by a jack stand, did the same on the left. That was the hardest part. The whole bracket install took all of 10 minutes. To remove the stock bracket you'll have to use a 10mm deep wall socket with a socket extension on the socket wrench. Once the bolts are off the bracket is still held on by a small clip which with a little force pulls right down. You'll have to find what works the best for you under there with the drive shaft in the way. I put one hand through the h-pipe and one in front. You have to wiggle the stock bracket off of the base. Once off, slide the Steeda bushing over the base, the red one went on real easy. Then slide the Steeda mount over the bushing with the Steeda logo facing the rear of the car. It helps to pull the base a little to the side to slide it up with the drive shaft there. Make sure it fits snug before you bolt it back up. Then bolt it back up with the same nuts, just don't over tighten them. Thats all it takes. Also it helps to not be clostrophobic..
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply...I let the dealership do this at my last service since I figured with a lift it would be much easier for them.

They said they had to drop the driveshaft to get to this and install it?

Seems fishy to me and obviously cost more to do since it took them longer.

Anyone else had to do this?
Old 9/29/11, 04:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Timeless

Thanks for the reply...I let the dealership do this at my last service since I figured with a lift it would be much easier for them.

They said they had to drop the driveshaft to get to this and install it?

Seems fishy to me and obviously cost more to do since it took them longer.

Anyone else had to do this?
There's no need to drop the drive shaft unless you have hands like the Incredible Hulk. I did it with floor jacks and the drive shaft in place just fine, and trust me I'm no mechanic by any means.
Old 9/29/11, 05:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like John already mentionned, there is no need to drop the driveshaft.
The first JHR bracket took me roughly about 15 minutes to install, shortly after, i swapped it for the Steeda one with red bushing which took me even less time.
There is room to maneuver around the driveshaft, especially if it's on a lift. I did mine with race ramps. How much time did they put on the work order to install the bracket !