Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 9/7/10, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangout
why not just go straight to the nissan CVT transmission? it rocks in daily traffic!
Old 9/7/10, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be quite honest I'd gotten completely bored with driving an automatic after six years of driving one. I figured if I was getting a proper sports car I should get it in a manual. I figured it would make me a safer driver by not being quite so eager to slam the gas to make things interesting, and I'd have fun again. With a little over two months now I've so far been right.

Traffic bugs me sometimes, but those instances are rare, and I often find I can just pop it into 1st or 2nd and just plod along casually behind traffic. Clutch foot sometimes gets tired, but it's been getting used to all this.
Old 9/7/10, 03:07 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll consider switching when DCT or rev-matching with paddle shifters becomes a reality.
Old 9/7/10, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
To be quite honest I'd gotten completely bored with driving an automatic after six years of driving one. I figured if I was getting a proper sports car I should get it in a manual. I figured it would make me a safer driver by not being quite so eager to slam the gas to make things interesting, and I'd have fun again. With a little over two months now I've so far been right.

Traffic bugs me sometimes, but those instances are rare, and I often find I can just pop it into 1st or 2nd and just plod along casually behind traffic. Clutch foot sometimes gets tired, but it's been getting used to all this.
This is the main reason I'm going back to manual plus the $995 savings was another factor too.
Old 9/7/10, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Every time I drive an auto I find myself yelling at the car, "Shift!" That's what happened on my 2011 V6 test drive..

If you're Road Racing or Autocrossing you really need a manual or some sort of manual-shifting DCT. Can't have the computer randomly sending you into the wrong gear and losing traction.
Old 9/7/10, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I have been driving sticks for over 47 years...yes, I am old! My 2011 has the 6sp, and believe me it is the single best manual I have driven. An automatic vs. a stick is now basically personal preference. Forget what other people think, and do what is the most comfortable for you, based on your driving situation.
Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I do not understand why people ask these questions on these forums. Guys who like the stick will tell you to drive a stick, guys who like the auto's will tell you to switch to an auto. You are not going to get anywhere. Why do you care what a bunch of overweight, balding, small ***** internet geeks or young punks who think a stick is an extension of his manhood think anyway? Do what you like. When you smoke somebody they are not going to care what they got beat by but that they just got roasted. Just be happy you are part of the Mustang family and who cares if you want to drive an auto. If anyone gives you crap for it they are not worth the spit on your shoe. There are dick heads in any car group no matter what they drive.
I think this is what it comes down to, it's what YOU are happy driving. To me there are no right or wrong Mustangs, only Mustangs.
I, for one, am getting tired of these auto vs. stick/ V8 vs. V6 threads.
Old 9/7/10, 04:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jedikd
Every time I drive an auto I find myself yelling at the car, "Shift!" That's what happened on my 2011 V6 test drive..

If you're Road Racing or Autocrossing you really need a manual or some sort of manual-shifting DCT. Can't have the computer randomly sending you into the wrong gear and losing traction.

that wouldn't happen if you had this:

Last edited by kona stang10; 9/7/10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 9/7/10, 05:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like rowin the gears. Even in So Cal traffic. Not tired of it yet...
Old 9/7/10, 06:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Why do you care what a bunch of overweight, balding, small ***** internet geeks or young punks who think a stick is an extension of his manhood think anyway.
Boy am i glad i'm not in any of the aboves. Anyone !!!
Old 9/7/10, 06:18 PM

I've got a 2009 GT auto if you'd like to trade...

I wasn't ready to make the jump from 120hp to 300hp AND auto to manual in the same car...especially when it was the first new car I've ever owned. Now that I'm used to the power increase I'd be willing to take that dreadful manual transmission off your hands!
Old 9/7/10, 06:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Are you kidding? I thought he hacked my webcam. LOL
Old 9/7/10, 07:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I simply love that round 401A ****. Just sayin'.
Old 9/8/10, 05:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I got the auto because My honey didn;t want a manual. I like having relations with her so I got the auto. I shift it so often people often ask me why I got the auto. I tell them its quicker in the 1/4 mile after I got my intake and tune. The trans is much more responsive. It stays in the gear I put it in and shifts right when I want it too. Don't think I would trade at this point.
Old 9/8/10, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

My wife doesn't know how to drive a manual, but I basically told her if she wants to drive my car, she needs to learn how to drive a manual. She needs to learn anyway. She's kinda pissed about it now, but she'll get over it. And I have every faith that she will get over her fear of manuals after a trip or two in that car.
Old 9/8/10, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
My wife doesn't know how to drive a manual, but I basically told her if she wants to drive my car, she needs to learn how to drive a manual. She needs to learn anyway. She's kinda pissed about it now, but she'll get over it. And I have every faith that she will get over her fear of manuals after a trip or two in that car.
It's true, you get over the difficulty pretty fast. The first couple days can be pretty intense, but as long as you take it easy you'll be fine. It's not hard to learn, it just takes practice and patience.

I suppose I should also mention that I get less thinking done with a manual transmission than I did with the automatic.
Old 9/8/10, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Sandbag
I've got a 2009 GT auto if you'd like to trade...

I wasn't ready to make the jump from 120hp to 300hp AND auto to manual in the same car...especially when it was the first new car I've ever owned. Now that I'm used to the power increase I'd be willing to take that dreadful manual transmission off your hands!
If it was cost effective, I'd do the swap with you. I have a heavy clutch, and the Dallas traffic is killing me.

-danny
Old 9/8/10, 04:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My dodge caliber r/t had a cvt and my ford five hundred has cvt tranny and the ford is way better then the dodge.

If you feel the need to have a daily driver with a auto just get a new fiesta. In the long run it will be cheaper then swaping your car to auto and better then trading it in. A 40+ mpg fun car during the week and a badass stick for the twisties on the weekends.
Old 9/8/10, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by pegasusphototx
If it was cost effective, I'd do the swap with you. I have a heavy clutch, and the Dallas traffic is killing me.

-danny
I always wanted the red interior for my black GT (and the GT500 style red/black to boot!) but I'm going to wager with the 14k I have left on my bone stock car and all the mods you have on yours that it's not going to be very cost effective for you even if I shelled out some major bucks

Great looking car though!
Old 9/8/10, 06:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Flagstang
My dodge caliber r/t had a cvt and my ford five hundred has cvt tranny and the ford is way better then the dodge.

If you feel the need to have a daily driver with a auto just get a new fiesta. In the long run it will be cheaper then swaping your car to auto and better then trading it in. A 40+ mpg fun car during the week and a badass stick for the twisties on the weekends.
NO,NO NO...
Do what I did, buy a second MUSTANG with an auto for daily driving.
I do find myself shifting the auto sometimes though.
Old 9/8/10, 08:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancel
I get less thinking done with a manual transmission than I did with the automatic.
heheh - well put!

Quick Reply: Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?