2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/10 | 07:49 AM
GT Member

I remember the salesman back in May '08 tried to get me to get the red Mustang next to my future grabber orange one. I looked in the red one and said, "it's an automatic! Why the heck would I get that in a Mustang?!"

He said, "I'm sorry, I understand completely."

I can't believe he tried to pull that on me.
Old 9/6/10 | 07:50 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Wow I think all angle have been covered. Right on guys.

Stay manual +1
Old 9/6/10 | 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kona stang10
I don't know about you guys, but i'm getting tired of shifting my 2010 mustang...i'm thinking i may go and get an automatic tranny for my car...Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap my manual tranny for say a TCI hi pro automatic tranny with 2800 rpm stall speed converter.. Do i have change the drive shaft? Is the cross member completely different? I already have factory 3:73's..Please chime in about what it takes to do this swap...thanks!

are u a female?
Old 9/6/10 | 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11GTCS
I have an automatic and actually like it alot. However, there are many, many times that I wish I would have decided differently as I can tell that the 2011 would be tons-o-fun running through gears.

The only thing that bugs me about the automatic (hope I'm not the only one...) is that when you slow down to turn (or, say, like doing a "rolling stop sign" thing), the tranny seems to "jerk" a little like it was in 2nd, then when you apply pressure on the accelerator, it finally decides it should be in 1st. Just a noticeable item that I could do without. Often, if I'm thinking ahead, I'll just downshift into 1st just before the turn, then slap through up to "D" myself.

I reckon the other major reason I chose auto is that I'm beginning to get arthritis in my knee and I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation. Personal choice after weighing what would be best for me.
My tune helped the 2-1 down shift issue but not cured.
I love the way it shifts now. Not like an old slush-o-matic. Firm-fast-but not slamming or harsh.
Old 9/6/10 | 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Stinger1982
I laugh everytime I see that quote. In any form of motorsport outside drag racing its totally the opposite.

In response to the OP, I would rather give up and move to an old folks home then let my car shift for me
Then again, if my commute was thru a lot of traffic, then maybe I'd change my tune, but here is my guide: The more a Prius makes sense, the more an automatic makes sense.

Let that be your guide. Meanwhile, my story is that for 30 years, since my '72 Cougar automatic in high school, all of my daily-driven cars have had manual transmissions. Then I talked myself into this V6 Accord automatic in 2006. It was a great car, but I was constantly irritated by the stupid shifting because the trans had no idea what I wanted or what was about to occur. The worst was upshifting in the middle of a high-g turn (Say like Yosemite Sam: "Automatics is soooo stupid"). When I got my 2011 GT, there was no question in my mind what trans I was going to get.

That said the fast shifting of the 2010 & 2011 is impressive.
Old 9/6/10 | 08:33 AM
GTR Member

Having never owned an automatic, I don't know how I'd enjoy having one right now. Since I was 16, I was forced to learn a manual, but I love the fact that I did.

Seems like you should have thought about the type of driving you do and frequency of traffic/conditions that annoy you and whether or not a manual is right for you. Regretting it after a year seems like a bit of poor planning IMO. I wouldn't put another trans. in, I'd just trade it in for something with an auto from the start.

I have to ask though, do you get tired of breathing or wiping your own *** too?
Old 9/6/10 | 01:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

[quote=Double-EDad;5943568]
That said the fast shifting of the 2010 & 2011 is impressive.[/quote

Couldn't agree more, the shifting on these 10 &11's is impressive and refine. I'm having a ball shifting throught the gears , tranny is very responsive and clutch pedal effort is a breeze. Like mentionned, the tune has helped significally with the shifting, though they're still a little resistance going from 1st to 2nd, but i got use to it.
Oh and by the way i've owned 4 other Mustangs before this one and 3 were 5 speed manuals and 1 was a 4 speed top-loader. My grocery getter is my 6 speed auto Escape which does the job on long hauls.
Old 9/6/10 | 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

I have been driving sticks for over 47 years...yes, I am old! My 2011 has the 6sp, and believe me it is the single best manual I have driven. An automatic vs. a stick is now basically personal preference. Forget what other people think, and do what is the most comfortable for you, based on your driving situation.
Old 9/6/10 | 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say go borrow or drive an automatic transmission car for a week or two and see if you can do without shifting... I know I can't.

But the 2011 6spd is F***ing awesome. =O
Old 9/6/10 | 04:38 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
here is my guide: The more a Prius makes sense, the more an automatic makes sense.

to each his own...I've had my 06 almost 5 yrs, missed a few shifts, had wildly varied ETs at the strip, My knee has been sore enough a few times it was a pain to get home...but I wouldnt trade it for a automatic ever...not in that car- it adds another dimension of interaction with the car, and it is just too enjoyable on a good day, a thoughtless reflex on a daily commute and only even noticed with a sore knee...no pain no gain
as far as a auto being more consistent at the track- well yes...but more fun/more challenging/more 'the fun of driving' I'll take the stick anyday. My wifes 07 has a auto, still a nimble car, she likes it a lot(she dont like the stickshift- but has been asking about learning again with mine) but while its hard to put to words, the manual gearbox is just more fun.
Old 9/6/10 | 04:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I do not understand why people ask these questions on these forums. Guys who like the stick will tell you to drive a stick, guys who like the auto's will tell you to switch to an auto. You are not going to get anywhere. Why do you care what a bunch of overweight, balding, small ***** internet geeks or young punks who think a stick is an extension of his manhood think anyway? Do what you like. When you smoke somebody they are not going to care what they got beat by but that they just got roasted. Just be happy you are part of the Mustang family and who cares if you want to drive an auto. If anyone gives you crap for it they are not worth the spit on your shoe. There are dick heads in any car group no matter what they drive.
Old 9/6/10 | 05:55 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

manual 07 GT here... its been three years and i haven't wished for an automatic once... the only thing is that very few people will be able to drive your car if need be... that can be good or bad depending on the circumstance
Old 9/6/10 | 05:56 PM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I do not understand why people ask these questions on these forums. Guys who like the stick will tell you to drive a stick, guys who like the auto's will tell you to switch to an auto. You are not going to get anywhere. Why do you care what a bunch of overweight, balding, small ***** internet geeks or young punks who think a stick is an extension of his manhood think anyway? Do what you like. When you smoke somebody they are not going to care what they got beat by but that they just got roasted. Just be happy you are part of the Mustang family and who cares if you want to drive an auto. If anyone gives you crap for it they are not worth the spit on your shoe. There are dick heads in any car group no matter what they drive.
INTENSE
Old 9/6/10 | 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
I think he's expressing what a lot of us feel
Old 9/6/10 | 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been driving manual mustangs since I got my drivers license when I was 16.. so for 9 years and never tired of it.

WIMPS!!!

jk
Old 9/6/10 | 06:43 PM
V6 Member

csledd: A girl/woman after my own heart!!

My cars have all been standards/manuals, until I got married. Now that I'm retired, and The Wife has her own vehicle, I'm back to my "row your own". I'm afraid I'll have to give up the mannie in a few more years. When the reflexes start to go, it's time for an auto. God, I don't look forward to that!

Whatever you enjoy, have fun with it (we're talking transmissions here!)!
Old 9/7/10 | 11:58 AM
Cobra Member

My cars have been manuals since about 1985 or 86 and I'm not tired of shifting yet. The manual in the 2011 is probably the sweetest one of them all, although the transmission in my 1991 MR2 Turbo was extremely nice, too.
Old 9/7/10 | 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Whats with the insults? The op asked what it would take to do the swap and if your tired of driving a stick? I am sure he didn't ask for the insults.
Old 9/7/10 | 12:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Whats with the insults? The op asked what it would take to do the swap and if your tired of driving a stick? I am sure he didn't ask for the insults.
Hard to believe that choice of transmission brings out so much hate and aggression in the car community. Thats why im surprised anyone ask stick or auto because it always becomes a huge pissing contest.
Old 9/7/10 | 01:12 PM

why not just go straight to the nissan CVT transmission? it rocks in daily traffic!

Quick Reply: Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?