Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/10, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?

I don't know about you guys, but i'm getting tired of shifting my 2010 mustang...i'm thinking i may go and get an automatic tranny for my car...Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap my manual tranny for say a TCI hi pro automatic tranny with 2800 rpm stall speed converter.. Do i have change the drive shaft? Is the cross member completely different? I already have factory 3:73's..Please chime in about what it takes to do this swap...thanks!
Old 9/5/10, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Sometimes I wish I bought an automatic, but then I remind myself that there is no 1/4 mile track around here and I don't care about racing anymore..

"Automatics are for racing, Manuals are for impressing high school girls"

But, in reply to your topic, it will be easier to just trade your car in or sell it first.
Old 9/5/10, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will never get sick of driving manual. It's hardly an effort driving these cars with manual, the clutch and shifters are so light, plus it adds a huge amount of fun factor to the car.
Old 9/5/10, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
In the year and 8 months that I have owned my car I have to say the only time I wish I had gotten an Automatic was when I was coming back from the gym after doing upper body and when I was so dead tired I just didnt want to exert the effort. That being said I would think it is easier to just trade the car in and get a 2011 instead of having to drop a tranny.
Old 9/5/10, 04:31 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

Originally Posted by jetlag
Sometimes I wish I bought an automatic, but then I remind myself that there is no 1/4 mile track around here and I don't care about racing anymore..

"Automatics are for racing, Manuals are for impressing high school girls"

But, in reply to your topic, it will be easier to just trade your car in or sell it first.

I laugh everytime I see that quote. In any form of motorsport outside drag racing its totally the opposite.

In response to the OP, I would rather give up and move to an old folks home then let my car shift for me
Old 9/5/10, 05:02 PM
GTR Member

Swapping to a automatic means a different computer, a new tranny harness, new shifter, different console top, speed sensor change, new flexplate and probably lots of other stuff in addition to the tranny and converter.

Not just a straight swap.

When I first got my '04, I hadn't had a manual tranny car in ages and I thought I had made a big mistake after driving it for a few days, now it is second nature again.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 9/5/10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 9/5/10, 05:29 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stangpilot007
I will never get sick of driving manual. It's hardly an effort driving these cars with manual, the clutch and shifters are so light, plus it adds a huge amount of fun factor to the car.
Word. I was on the fence about getting a manual or auto, but figured in the end I just had to get a manual on the 5.0L. Been great so far, the light clutch and short throw shifters are a dream to use.
Old 9/5/10, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry op but that's just sad.
If I don't want to shift I will get in one of my grocery getters
Old 9/5/10, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts
I can't imagine having an auto in my Mustang. Of course, I have an F150 for a daily driver, so when the car's out, it's playtime...
Old 9/5/10, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

My 05 GT was an auto and it was very enjoyable. That said, I absolutely loving the hell out of the manual in my 5.0 and have no misgivings about getting it. It makes driving the car complete.
Old 9/5/10, 07:18 PM
GT Member

I been driving a manual trans cars for 35 years now nope i still love it.
Old 9/5/10, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Maybe i should trade it in on an 2011 auto...i hear in this car, the auto is quicker then the stick!!!! i have no car payment now..don't think i want 1 either...lol
Old 9/5/10, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

I've driven manual for a few years in long bumper to bumper traffic every day. The only time I thought about automatic was when my clutch burnt out after 23,000 miles (I made the mistake of going to auto, then regretted it and bought the Stang). The Mustang clutch should last a lot longer than a Hyundai clutch though.
Old 9/5/10, 10:01 PM
V6 Member

The 2011 has one of the smoothest and easiest to drive man-trans that I have ever driven. That combined with the light clutch makes it very easy to live with even in the hellish traffic I drive everyday.

I wouldn't mind a nice dual-clutch tranny though...they are great and provide the best of both worlds between manual and auto.

Last edited by jimb05; 9/5/10 at 10:03 PM.
Old 9/5/10, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Automatic in a car like this is a waste!JMO.

The one word answer for me is NO!
Old 9/6/10, 12:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Nope, definitely not getting tired of rowing my own; in fact I like it more and more all the time.

The only time it gets tedious is in heavy stop and go traffic, which luckily I don't run into very often; but even if I did, I would not trade it for an automatic. The manual just adds so much to the fun factor in this car.
Old 9/6/10, 01:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Personally, I had to make a decision. What I figured was: would I forgo "fun" for "convenience?" Not that I mind it, but I figured I would rather work through bumper-to-bumper traffic and have a chance to let loose with the manny when I can, than not being able to do that when I do decide I wanna row through some canyons.

When you buy an automatic, you are stuck with an automatic. When you buy a manual and don't want to do much "work," just skip shift.

What I think is funny is that in traffic or at a red light, whenever the car in front moves forward (even a few feet), the car behind always feel the need to inch forward along. It's easy with an automatic, because you just let off the brakes. Since so many people drive automatics, and a lot of people do it, it has become a "norm." So in bumper-bumper traffic, I just sit back and wait a bit before I start moving. That reduces the need to constantly shift just for a few feet. My point is that a lot of times, the people behind may start to get antsy (Oh, no. The traffic just moved five feet but I'm stuck behind this guy!), but it's their problem. Driving a manual in traffic is manageable.
Old 9/6/10, 02:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I had that kind of time and money to waste.

You already have mods invested in your car as well, and you're fine losing that and the money on a trade just for a different tranny?!

It's a new car not a library book.
Old 9/6/10, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

Auto/Manual

I have an automatic and actually like it alot. However, there are many, many times that I wish I would have decided differently as I can tell that the 2011 would be tons-o-fun running through gears.

The only thing that bugs me about the automatic (hope I'm not the only one...) is that when you slow down to turn (or, say, like doing a "rolling stop sign" thing), the tranny seems to "jerk" a little like it was in 2nd, then when you apply pressure on the accelerator, it finally decides it should be in 1st. Just a noticeable item that I could do without. Often, if I'm thinking ahead, I'll just downshift into 1st just before the turn, then slap through up to "D" myself.

I reckon the other major reason I chose auto is that I'm beginning to get arthritis in my knee and I'm not trying to exacerbate the situation. Personal choice after weighing what would be best for me.
Old 9/6/10, 07:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Nope, I put my Auto in Drive and go.

Reason I did not get a Manual are many
1. Wife cannot drive a stick and refuses to learn. She might not ever drive the car, but she would remind me she could not drive it every time she got in it.
2. There are times that my knees do not work like they are supposed to anymore (getting old sucks).
3. I have 2 5 Speeds, 2 6 Speeds and an 8 speed at work, why do I want to shift all day at work and then have to shift on the way home

Quick Reply: Anyone here getting tired of shifting your manual tranny on your 2010 or 2011?