2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone have a leaky Glassroof?

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/10, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone have a leaky Glassroof?

Today, I went to a Dealership here in Tampa, Fl and finally drove a Glassroof Mustang. I have to say, it was nice. I first drove a Convertible and I now know for sure, a convertible isn't for me.

However, the Glassroof experience was nice-

I'm concerned though. I noticed around the glassroof, a bead of rubber, and I used my key to gently pull it up- and can see the thickness of the glass. It seems vulnerable to water to me. Maybe I'm wrong? Seems like that bead around the glass can dry up over time, become brittle and need replacing? I dunno. I just dont want to one day see water dripping in my car, especially after the warranty is up. But on a positive note, the view is fantastic! especially here in Florida with the really blue skies, and puffy white clouds.

Also, I pulled the sunshade closed. It closed easily. Didn't block out all the light. Can see pinholes of light coming through. Also, it does sag slightly and decreases headroom by a little bit. Not a lot, but still a little nontheless. This is on a 2010 GT. I seen one with a little more sagging sunscreen on a 2009.

Right after, I parked the car next to a regular coupe. Noticed a big difference with headroom. The regular headliner makes for more headroom. However- when you open the sunshade in the glassroof, you dont noticed the decrease in headroom. It looks very nice.

My question to you members who have these, and have had any known issues. Can you let me know if you've ever had ANY problems with any leaks or sunshades getting messed up or jammed?

I'm on the fence regarding the glass roof-- I need a few more opinions and more important- real experiences.

Thanks in advance Folks- By the way, I'm going with the Red Candy color! That color will look really nice regardless of glass or not. As of now, I'm problem talking myself out out of the glassroof... Maybe I want to think about using that 2k for upgrades like lower control arms, springs, exhaust- etc...
Old 5/6/10, 07:46 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike use your other glass roof threads man. But I don't think there'll be a leak problem, no moving parts...
Old 5/6/10, 07:50 PM
GT Member

This ones a little bit different- I want to see if there's anyone who has had problems at all. You dont need moving parts for leaks. Just a bad seal, etc.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Mike use your other glass roof threads man. But I don't think there'll be a leak problem, no moving parts...
Old 5/6/10, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
People who have them, will only have had them since early 2009. SO. There can't really be a long-term evaluation here. Are you going to garage the car? Are you going to daily drive it?

My opinion? Just get the freaken EP, GR, skip the S1000 and enjoy your **** car!

Be done with it already!!!!!
Old 5/6/10, 08:01 PM
GT Member

I love my glass roof. I was skeptical about it before I got it but can't imagine not having it now. It really brightens up the inside and on hot days, when it's parked, I can close the sunshade and the car stays as cool as my 07 did w/o the glass roof.

“Designed to offer a convertible-like driving experience, the Mustang's glass roof has been specially engineered to filter out 90 percent of the sun's heat-generating infrared (IR) rays and 96 percent of burn-causing ultraviolet (UV) rays. This effectively means the Glass Roof Mustang is the only coupe to be equipped with a sun protection factor (SPF) of approximately 50.

Ford also points out that "scientific studies show that increased exposure to sunshine or bright light is therapeutic because it regulates the body's synthesis of melatonin, a mood-regulating hormone that modulates the circadian cycle of sleep and wakefulness." So there you have it, this Mustang can make you feel better!”

I get unlimited car washes (for a monthly fee) and usually get mine washed about twice a week. I’ve never had a problem and I've owned it since August. I plan on getting a glass roof in my 2011 when it's ordered. I hope this helps with your decision.
Old 5/6/10, 08:15 PM
GT Member

Thanks for your thoughts and experience Iguana- appreciate it

Originally Posted by IguanaKeepr
I love my glass roof. I was skeptical about it before I got it but can't imagine not having it now. It really brightens up the inside and on hot days, when it's parked, I can close the sunshade and the car stays as cool as my 07 did w/o the glass roof.

“Designed to offer a convertible-like driving experience, the Mustang's glass roof has been specially engineered to filter out 90 percent of the sun's heat-generating infrared (IR) rays and 96 percent of burn-causing ultraviolet (UV) rays. This effectively means the Glass Roof Mustang is the only coupe to be equipped with a sun protection factor (SPF) of approximately 50.

Ford also points out that "scientific studies show that increased exposure to sunshine or bright light is therapeutic because it regulates the body's synthesis of melatonin, a mood-regulating hormone that modulates the circadian cycle of sleep and wakefulness." So there you have it, this Mustang can make you feel better!”

I get unlimited car washes (for a monthly fee) and usually get mine washed about twice a week. I’ve never had a problem and I've owned it since August. I plan on getting a glass roof in my 2011 when it's ordered. I hope this helps with your decision.
Old 5/6/10, 08:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not worth the price of admission as far as I'm concerned.
Old 5/6/10, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

If my foxbody TTop doesn't leak, i'm sure the glass roof on the current Mustang won't either.
Old 5/6/10, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are people having problems with any other fixed windows leaking?
Old 5/6/10, 08:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The glass roof isn't going to leak unless the car gets wrecked or the body rots out around the glass. You are worrying over NOTHING.
Old 5/6/10, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The glass roof isn't going to leak unless the car gets wrecked or the body rots out around the glass. You are worrying over NOTHING.

...and it's on the third year in production.
Old 5/6/10, 08:36 PM
GT Member

windshields are at an angle and deflect water- plus a good downpour and water hitting a flat surface may act different. There was a person on another forum who had an 09 leak coming from his glassroof, fyi

I'm researching data and trying to see if anyone else had any issues with water, cricks, squeaks, etc.

My last thread was pros/cons- now it's come down to the wire for me. Decision tomorrow, and i have a preapproved check in hand. So, I'm looking for anymore negative experiences, period. I truly invite positives as well... after all, i'm a positive person. But i'm an engineer, so I'm ocd too--

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Are people having problems with any other fixed windows leaking?
Old 5/6/10, 08:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ipodintampa
There was a person on another forum who had an 09 leak coming from his glassroof, fyi
I think this is what you're looking for...
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...f-leaking.html

Not the glass roof though.
Old 5/6/10, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Any kind of moon roof or glass roof you are taking a risk of it leaking or getting vandalized. It's just that simple.
Old 5/6/10, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I get unlimited car washes (for a monthly fee) and usually get mine washed about twice a week.
Off topic, but I'm curious as to what you pay for that???
Old 5/6/10, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2K3 Mach
Off topic, but I'm curious as to what you pay for that???
$54.94 monthly includes my Mustang and a Lexus RX. There's an additional charge for the SUV (+9.99 full size). Includes Exterior only, hand drying, wheel dressing. There's other packages that include the interior but I stepped down because the inside doesn't get that dirty and the price ($102) wasn't worth it. I can go as often as I like and I've been with them over five years.

http://skywash.com/index.html
Old 5/6/10, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

$54.94 monthly includes my Mustang and a Lexus RX. There's an additional charge for the SUV (+9.99 full size). Includes Exterior only, hand drying, wheel dressing. There's other packages that include the interior but I stepped down because the inside doesn't get that dirty and the price ($102) wasn't worth it. I can go as often as I like and I've been with them over five years.

http://skywash.com/index.html
You machine wash your car? Isn't that really bad for it?
Old 5/7/10, 05:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jokerstars
You machine wash your car? Isn't that really bad for it?
I've taken my last four cars there. Never had a problem.

"sky express uses water reclaim technology to recycle 100% of all wash water - reducing fresh water usage per car from 75 to 25 gallons. additionally, ultra-soft cloths (brushes are banned), biodegradable non-acidic soaps, and a rubber-lined tunnel set to half-speed work to reduce clear coat wear-and-tear"
Old 5/7/10, 08:27 AM

I also have a glass roof mustang and never had a problem with leaking. I also have a subscription to an unlimited car wash (hand wash only) and never suffered with a leak.

The only problem was somewhere between purchasing the car and delivery ( I'm assuming the guys cleaning the car did it) the roof was torn along the whole track. The dealer inspected it and believed the shade was off its track a little and when opened, it ripped. Dana Ford in Staten Island was very helpful and sent it out to be repaired. So, be very careful, dont quickly open or close if you sense any resistance.

Even with that said and the very little shade sag, I love the glass roof and have one on my Edge also.

Last edited by SI_stang; 5/7/10 at 08:28 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 5/7/10, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I've taken my last four cars there. Never had a problem.

"sky express uses water reclaim technology to recycle 100% of all wash water - reducing fresh water usage per car from 75 to 25 gallons. additionally, ultra-soft cloths (brushes are banned), biodegradable non-acidic soaps, and a rubber-lined tunnel set to half-speed work to reduce clear coat wear-and-tear"
I'd be worried about the two schleps at the end drying the car. Who knows what's in those towels.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a leaky Glassroof?