2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone have an automatic trans?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/10, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have an automatic trans?

Hi Everyone: I am seeking input on the 2011 automatic paired with the 5.0. Before you flame me, I know a standard is more fun but let me (humbly) point out that i drive a standard now (07 vette) but need to move to an automatic due to an ailing left leg...honest

I would be interested in hearing about the a6, both good and bad...

Thanks in advance///
Old 9/28/10, 03:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of people on here drive autos. Nothing wrong with that. They'll chime in and give you some advice
Old 9/28/10, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the auto and I have absolutely no complaints, it's great. It shifts smooth as butter and it's just as quick, if not a little quicker than the manuals IMO. There really is no shame in having an auto anymore, you get the get up and go, and you can be comfortable while doing it.
Old 9/28/10, 04:03 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are some super fast tuner cars out there with automatics in them.

Also, all the tuners seem to have a pretty good grip on how to make the auto's work even better if you get a tune.
Old 9/28/10, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Auto with Steeda tune. Shifts crisp, but not harsh.- GREAT MPG! - Hill mode is great if your in the mts.

A couple small issues: Sometimes a little harsh jumping down to first if your almost stopped, and start quickly. And: A little play somewhere in the drive line- again, at low speeds, with light peddle on and off the accelerator. Neither a big deal
Old 9/28/10, 04:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You want an auto? You **** puss. What is wrong with you do you not know real men drive auto's? Come on now i do not want to hear about that bum leg my grandmother with 2 hip replacements and chronic arthritis drives a stick. Grow a pair! What do you have a small ***** dude. Are you a women? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait i have and auto. I was just having flash backs of other auto threads like this. I LOVE IT AND A WILL MAKE IT TUNE MAKES IT PERFECT!
Old 9/28/10, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
You want an auto? You **** puss. What is wrong with you do you not know real men drive auto's? Come on now i do not want to hear about that bum leg my grandmother with 2 hip replacements and chronic arthritis drives a stick. Grow a pair! What do you have a small ***** dude. Are you a women? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait i have and auto. I was just having flash backs of other auto threads like this. I LOVE IT AND A WILL MAKE IT TUNE MAKES IT PERFECT!
LOL
Old 9/28/10, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

My grandma can tell you everything you need to know. I kid I kid (she does drive an auto though)
Old 9/28/10, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by howieb
Hi Everyone: I am seeking input on the 2011 automatic paired with the 5.0. Before you flame me, I know a standard is more fun but let me (humbly) point out that i drive a standard now (07 vette) but need to move to an automatic due to an ailing left leg...honest

I would be interested in hearing about the a6, both good and bad...

Thanks in advance///
I just got mine last week and love it !! No complaints yet, but I only have 105 miles on the car it's been raining for the past 3 days so it stays in the garage. I have a lot of hills around me and I drop it into 3rd or 2nd to lock it out from down shifting while going up a hill I try to keep it around 2K rpm going up a hill there are some really steep hills around me. It's quick, smooth and accelerates well can't wait to put a tune on it!
Old 9/28/10, 07:10 PM
V6 Member

I chose an auto for similar reasons as you state, but my "bum" knee is on my right leg. Probably could have driven a manual with no problem, but didn't want to get into one and exacerbate any issues. Regarding the previous quote, "A couple small issues: Sometimes a little harsh jumping down to first if your almost stopped, and start quickly.", this is the only item that I wish wasn't apparent, but also as stated - its no big issue. Very smooth and responsive... plus, I'm not moanin' about a coffee cup right in the way of all my shifting, darned cup holder placement...
Old 9/28/10, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

But how can you text and drive with a manual?
/sarcasm

Seriously, it does become a chore to drive with a manual. Especially if you're planning on doing a lot of city driving like I do, it's just not that appealing.
Old 9/28/10, 07:25 PM
V6 Member

I got a 2011 auto GT. Absolutely love the car - when you put the pedal to the floor, this car seriously moves. Now, I have complained in some other threads about throttle lag... there is just not enough throttle response, in my opinion, on the auto. It also takes a while to decide whether it's going to downshift or not. Everybody who has an auto and has gotten a tune said that all these characteristics have been 'fixed' (if you think they're a problem), so I'm currently looking into that option. Also, at low speeds, especially when slowing down and then trying to speed up, my car tends to 'lurch' forward after a few moments of pressing on the throttle with no response. This can be a pain. This can also supposedly be fixed with a tune. None of the things I've mentioned have been a deal breaker for me, and some people might be happy with the way the auto drives stock, but I definitely feel like somethings gotta change with the way it drives... it should be much more peppy with 412 hp!! I'll say it again though, once you put the pedal all the way to the floor, and the car decides to downshift, it's incredible how this car accelerates. I can't find enough room where I live to keep it to the floor very long, since you get up to speed in a heart beat.
Old 9/28/10, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Does the shifter have P R N D 4 3 2 1? I thought it only had 3 2 1. If this is the case, how do you shift into 4th?

Why no paddle shifters Ford? WHY??
Old 9/28/10, 08:51 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Does the shifter have P R N D 4 3 2 1? I thought it only had 3 2 1. If this is the case, how do you shift into 4th?

Why no paddle shifters Ford? WHY??
No 4th gear slot.

Paddle shifters?

Hell, it would be good enough if they just made the shifter with a manual gate.

Ford cheaped this one out, didn't figure on the Mustang crowd wanting a real performance auto tranny.

They were wrong...
Old 9/28/10, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

All my previous Mustangs were manual and so I had reservations about an auto...but for the most part, I like it. I would have to agree with previous comments about lag when you want to get on it and I may look into a tune to remedy this situation.
Now, I must confess...I do miss not having a manual. There's just something about shifting a car that makes you "part" of it. But this is a very good auto trans that Ford put in the Mustang. You won't regret it.

Lou
Old 9/28/10, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No 4th gear slot.

Paddle shifters?

Ford cheaped this one out, didn't figure on the Mustang crowd wanting a real performance auto tranny.

They were wrong...
I really struggled with this one. I was originally aiming for a manual (mainly because of the lack of paddle shifters/manumatic mode like every other car in this segment has!!!), but my better half and I decided we should go for an auto given our circumstances, so I settled with an auto.

During heavy traffic which I experience everyday, I'm loving my decision to get an auto. But on long drives or curvy roads, I really wish I had a way to manually shift through the gears. I just don't understand why Ford hasn't put them in the Mustang yet. And you know I'll be banging my head against the wall if they throw them in on the 2012 GT (not that it's a bad thing to do - just wish they had done it earlier!).

All in all, I'm generally happy with the auto.
Old 9/28/10, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
No 4th gear slot.

Paddle shifters?

They were wrong...
So you can't force the transmission into 4th? WTF?
Old 9/28/10, 10:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
After owning 5 manual transmissioned Mustangs, I picked an automatic for my 07 GT to be more consistent drag racing. My friend Rhonda just bought an '11 5.0L automatic and we went to the track last Friday. I have a Vortech V2 blower. Her 11 5.0L is 100% bone stock except for drag radials and an SCT tuner with a canned tune for higher shift points.

Here's a video from last Friday at the track (click on the picture below to play it). My alloy gray 07 GT is in the far lane. Her kona blue 11 GT is in the near lane. **** good race! I ran a 12.16 @ 111+ to her 12.33 @ 114+ in the 1/4 mile....

Old 9/29/10, 04:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That is sick running 12.3 with only a tune and DR's. She throws a CAI on there and who knows. Te SCT canned tunes are running just as good as the custom tunes.
Old 9/29/10, 06:41 AM

Hey Five oh Brian, which canned tune did your girlfriend getbfor her automatic gt?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone have an automatic trans?