Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone feelin the hate from the 03/04 Cobra guys?

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/10, 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone feelin the hate from the 03/04 Cobra guys?

Seems like almost everyone that I've conversed with except for a certain few with 03/04 Cobras always seem to find flaws in the 2011 5.0. How it has no forged internals, to high compression, too heavy, blah, blah, blah... I have a really good buddy that has a Mystichrome 04 with twin turbos making 1k HP that absolutely frikkin loves the new 5.0 Maybe it's because he doesn't feel threatened by it. Who knows. Just thought I'd see what experiences some of you guys have had with Termie owners. I do'nt get it though, I absolutely love the Termie and was actually shopping for one but when the 5.0 came out, the Termie had no chance. Just too old, too expensive, and interior is well, inferior. JMHO. I'm not saying all Termie owners act like jackasses, but I have had a few seem *****ish when the conversation swings in the 5.0's favor..

Last edited by Boomer; 7/1/10 at 12:21 AM.
Old 6/30/10, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

To what non-forged internals are you referring? Rods? The crank of the 5.0 is forged according to every publication I've read on the subject. Maybe I am missing a nuance?
Old 6/30/10, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
To what non-forged internals are you referring? Rods? The crank of the 5.0 is forged according to every publication I've read on the subject. Maybe I am missing a nuance?
Yea that's the first thing I hear is how the rods will give anytime.. And yes, the crank is forged.
Old 6/30/10, 07:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got a thumbs up from a '03-04 Cobra owner on the freeway. Nothin but love over here...
Old 6/30/10, 07:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Ha. I may actually be shopping for an 03/04 Cobra pretty soon, as I won't be able to afford the insurance on a 2010+ car any time soon, and for some reason insurance agencies over here are rating Cobras the same as same year GTs. Eh, I like the sound of the 4V 4.6 better anyways . I just wish I could get a glass roof and that interior on an SN95. At least my credit is intact, so I'm not too worried about getting a low rate on a used car.
Old 6/30/10, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I know 3 friends with terminators, everyone loves the 5.0. One wanted to trade his in, but we told him not to do it lol.
As far as weight Cobra's weigh in the 3600lb range, so pretty much the same lol. IRS is heavy.
Old 6/30/10, 09:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Got a thumbs up from a '03-04 Cobra owner on the freeway. Nothin but love over here...
U live close to Woodstock or something ! Just sayin' bro.
Old 6/30/10, 09:42 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Rods and pistons, but the number of manufacturers using complete forged assemblies in an N/A car currently can probably be counted on one hand with three fingers chopped off on a good day. Hell the LSA used in the CTS-V still uses a cast piston.

IIRC the N/A Cobras just used a forged crank as well. Cost savings aside (in the case of the cast piston), it can be made to run a tighter piston to wall clearence which benefits longevity and quells some NVH in the engine.

A completely forged rotating assembly would be nice but unless its needed, it just adds cost for the 99.9999999999% of the people who will be doing basic bolt-ons if they mod the car at all.
Old 6/30/10, 10:46 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 28.
... I'm not saying all Termie owners act like jackasses, but I have had a few seem ****lish when the conversation swings in the 5.0's favor..
That might be but a lot has to do with those who buy the latest Mustang and want feel good about themselves by the constant comparissons. If it is not the 4.6, it is the Camaro, or the Challanger, or the Cobra. There is always an adversary.

Naturally with each new generation there will be upgrades, improvements, and refinements. I fail to see the importance of which is better of two cars which are totally different. If others' opinions are that important, you bought the wrong car.

Last edited by Boomer; 7/1/10 at 12:22 AM.
Old 6/30/10, 11:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Our first '11 GT was delivered today to a customer whose husband owns (and is keeping) an '03 Terminator that runs 11.50's @ 119+ in the 1/4 mile. The '11 GT will be her bracket racer (automatic trans for consistency).
Old 6/30/10, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
That might be but a lot has to do with those who buy the latest Mustang and want feel good about themselves by the constant comparissons. If it is not the 4.6, it is the Camaro, or the Challanger, or the Cobra. There is always an adversary.

Naturally with each new generation there will be upgrades, improvements, and refinements. I fail to see the importance of which is better of two cars which are totally different. If others' opinions are that important, you bought the wrong car.
How is it I bought the wrong car? just cause I stated that it seems some folks with the 03/04 Cobras will say negative things about a car that isn't theirs out of spite. I can recognize sarcasm when it's there. Can't you? Yea I know some ppl will not like the car, but most decent folks will always mention the things they dislike then go on to mention the things they do. At least I do. Yea I can be a ***** and find all kinds of faults on say the Camaro, but then I'm man enough to give props to another good car when props are due. I for one won't sit here and act like our cars were made by Iacocca(sp?) himself then turn around and tell the guy in a Maro or what not what a hunk of sheet his/hers is.
Old 6/30/10, 11:33 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
seems to me as though you seem to have that thought about your car, yourself. I know of noone that is a mustang fan that dislikes the new 5.0, quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. he means that if people opinions matter to you so much that they influenced the car you bought, then maybe you bought the wrong one. I have one of the 04 GT's with the "inferior" interior, I happen to love mine, thanks. You can take your "Im better than you, because my car is newer" attitude and do whatever you like with it! But my suggestion would get me banned.

please dont start an arguement over something that doesnt exist.

That is all.

Last edited by StangMahn; 6/30/10 at 11:42 PM.
Old 6/30/10, 11:36 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Old 6/30/10, 11:36 PM
GT Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Our first '11 GT was delivered today to a customer whose husband owns (and is keeping) an '03 Terminator that runs 11.50's @ 119+ in the 1/4 mile. The '11 GT will be her bracket racer (automatic trans for consistency).
Brian.. still waiting for mine

Make sure you guys don't overly wash it when it comes in (please....).. I don't want any swirl marks from the get-go. Also, can I leave parts there to install before I pick it up so I don't have to make a separate appointment to come back in? Whom can I talk to at your service dept. that will set me up with a lowering kit with needed alignment adjustment parts. When it's lowered, does it move the rear axle to one side? If so, we need to address this all at once. I should probably order that stuff now and have it there within a couple weeks, no?

Thanks for info.
Old 7/1/10, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
seems to me as though you seem to have that thought about your car, yourself. I know of noone that is a mustang fan that dislikes the new 5.0, quite the contrary, as a matter of fact. he means that if people opinions matter to you so much that they influenced the car you bought, then maybe you bought the wrong one. I have one of the 04 GT's with the "inferior" interior, I happen to love mine, thanks. You can take your "Im better than you, because my car is newer" attitude and do whatever you like with it! But my suggestion would get me banned.

please dont start an arguement over something that doesnt exist.

That is all.
Not at all what I was thinking.. I'm actually a fan of all Mustangs as well. But like I said I've seen discussions go back and forth between Termie owners and would be 5.0 owners and I was surprised to the fact that some of the Termie owners were quick to say y the Termie was a better car. As far as the interior statement if it offended you I apologize. But then again it's not like I posted something that nobody else knows or thinks. I'm sure you loved your 04. I loved my 96 Cobra, and my 86 GT even more. But I can't sit here and act like they didn't have faults that were improved upon with the following generation of Mustangs. Anyways, I know I had this discussion with others and it was something some of us noticed. Was wondering if anyone here has had that happen to them is all.
Old 7/1/10, 12:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

David, you can love your SN95 interior all you want. You're crazy if you're going to come in here and say the 04 interior is better than the 2010+. That's just fact. I love my 2000 too, but my perfect Mustang would be an SN95 size/weight coupe with Glass Roof, 2010+ Premium style/quality and the 5.0 4V, but with the firing order and crank of the 4.6 4V. Name someone who doesn't like the new 5.0? Well, I haven't driven one or seen one on the street yet, but from every video I've watched online, I am not in love with the new exhaust note. It doesn't tingle my spine like an 04 Cobra with a KB and full Bassani exhaust does.

Does that make me less of a Mustang fan? I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. There are things I love about every model year, even the Mustang IIs, but there are some things I could live with, and some I could live without. Can't we all just get along?!?

But seriously, the 2010+ interior ***** on the SN95 and even the 05-09 interior. Whatchutalkinboutwillis?!?
Old 7/1/10, 12:43 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I never said the interior of my 04 is better than the new ones, and I dont think that at all, I said I love my 04 as in the whole car. OP, sry if I misread your originial post, but it's always a "this is why my car is better" thing. Every model can pick out something that is better than years before and after. The exhaust note sounds loads better in person, btw.

For the current price (being an accountant, that's the first thing I think about) I think the termy is a better car, for the near 40k that 5.0's are going for right now, you can buy a low mileage cobra, slap on just about every suspension mod and engine mod, and have a car that will flat walk away from the 5.0's. I want a 5.0, and will eventually buy one for my collection, but I see their point. Hopefully in a couple years, the price will go down, and the guys that bought them just because they're the newest thing will move on to something else, and you wont have these ludicrous arguments about apples and oranges.

Last edited by StangMahn; 7/1/10 at 12:46 AM.
Old 7/1/10, 12:47 AM
GT Member

Most people will say they like their current car better than the cars going forward, even in light of evidence that the newer car is much, much better. It happens with all makes and models. Happens with the BMW and Toyota crowds as well. This is how it works. What it comes down to is "is the car you have good enough for you?".. It should be because it was good enough for you when you bought it at whatever year it was. This is the old Jones and green grass game.
Old 7/1/10, 12:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

OK. Agreed.
Old 7/1/10, 08:16 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brycerichert
Brian.. still waiting for mine

Make sure you guys don't overly wash it when it comes in (please....).. I don't want any swirl marks from the get-go. Also, can I leave parts there to install before I pick it up so I don't have to make a separate appointment to come back in? Whom can I talk to at your service dept. that will set me up with a lowering kit with needed alignment adjustment parts. When it's lowered, does it move the rear axle to one side? If so, we need to address this all at once. I should probably order that stuff now and have it there within a couple weeks, no?

Thanks for info.
Hi, Bryce,

Our detailer is very meticulous about cleaning cars for delivery - no worries there. As for the suspension goodies, you'll want to talk with our service manager - Bryan Adams. He was our store's SVT technician for quite some time before taking over as the service manager. Plus, he's personally owned some very fast (and heavily modded) Mustangs, so he's an enthusiast, as well. Ordering the parts you want now does, indeed, make sense if you want it installed before you take delivery of your GT.

Quick Reply: Anyone feelin the hate from the 03/04 Cobra guys?