Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any '11 GT people who didn't opt for the Brembo package?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/10, 12:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Any '11 GT people who didn't opt for the Brembo package?

Did you decide to go with the standard wheel package or something else? What was your reasoning?

Are you planning on adding your own custom wheels later? Did you not think that the '19" wheels, big brakes, chassis brace, stability control were worth the $1700 or did you have another reason?

Have there been any tests on the car with the standard brakes and wheels/tires? How much performance will they lose?
Old 6/2/10, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Did you decide to go with the standard wheel package or something else? What was your reasoning?

Are you planning on adding your own custom wheels later? Did you not think that the '19" wheels, big brakes, chassis brace, stability control were worth the $1700 or did you have another reason?

Have there been any tests on the car with the standard brakes and wheels/tires? How much performance will they lose?
I got the Auto so the Brembo wasn't an option for me. Plus 18" tires are much cheaper to replace and also I figured if I wanted rims I could get them cheaper later.
Old 6/2/10, 12:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't like the wheels that came with the Brembo package. I like the patined luster 19 inch wheels so I ordered those instead. The differance in size between the two rotors didn't seem big enough to justify the $1600 price tag......
Old 6/2/10, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

The 13" Rotors are adequate for my use and I was happy with the 18's. 3.55 gears are the only option on my GT Base.
While the tires are not huge they do fill the wheel wells much better than the 17's on my 2007.
Old 6/2/10, 01:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The standard brakes are adequate for non-racing purposes, plus the wheels in the Brembo package are not my favorite. They're not ugly, I just don't like them as much as some of the other wheels. The summer-only tires would be nice to have, but I can always replace the tires if I want. And 18" tires will be cheaper than the same model of tires in 19". I'm not putting down the Brembo package, but it doesn't do much for me.
Old 6/2/10, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't get the Brembos for a few reasons. I got an Auto, don't plan on racing so the 13" rotors are fine for me, plus I wanted the 19" wheels. The machined aluminum wheels just look so **** good with this car.
Old 6/2/10, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't feel the need nor desire to get the Brembos. This car will be my daily driver and will rarely if ever see a track (just don't have time for that kind of thing). So I don't need racing brakes, nor do I need a strut tower brace. The only Mustang wheels I like are the stock 18s and the luster nickel 19s, but I didn't feel the 19s were worth an extra 1K. The 19s do come with slightly wider tires, 245s vs 235s. The narrower tires were my only reservation about getting the 18s, but the other options just weren't worth the extra cost to me.
Old 6/2/10, 10:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
The standard brakes are adequate for non-racing purposes, plus the wheels in the Brembo package are not my favorite. They're not ugly, I just don't like them as much as some of the other wheels. The summer-only tires would be nice to have, but I can always replace the tires if I want. And 18" tires will be cheaper than the same model of tires in 19". I'm not putting down the Brembo package, but it doesn't do much for me.
Ditto for me. Plus, I wanted the automatic 6-speed (lovin' it too after a week of driving it!!).
Old 6/2/10, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking about not getting the Brembo package just because I will likely end up moving to DC this summer and would like to be able to drive the car during winter. I do like the package very much though, if I was going to stay in Texas I would totally get it.
Old 6/2/10, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Few reasons i can think of:

1. Never going to be in a situation where I would use the Brembo's to their full potential (ie: track days)
2. The only thing I like about the wheels are the center caps, not a fan of the rims.
3. No spare tire
4. 18's are cheaper to replace, and lets be honest, those back tires are going to need replacing on a regular basis.

And do Brembo cars have a different stability control from car's with the stock wheels? Or what do you mean by that?
Old 6/2/10, 10:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
And do Brembo cars have a different stability control from car's with the stock wheels? Or what do you mean by that?
Yes, they have different computer tuning for the stability control.
Old 6/2/10, 10:48 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Norberd
Few reasons i can think of:

1. Never going to be in a situation where I would use the Brembo's to their full potential (ie: track days)
2. The only thing I like about the wheels are the center caps, not a fan of the rims.
3. No spare tire
4. 18's are cheaper to replace, and lets be honest, those back tires are going to need replacing on a regular basis.

Springs are also different than non-Brembo GT's. KC confirmed this about a week ago.
Old 6/2/10, 11:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Springs are also different than non-Brembo GT's. KC confirmed this about a week ago.
I saw that. Do we know what the difference is? I'm assuming the rate will be slightly higher?
Old 6/2/10, 11:11 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by whysoserious
I saw that. Do we know what the difference is? I'm assuming the rate will be slightly higher?
That's my guess.
Old 6/2/10, 11:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same reasons as above for me.

As far as testing goes, I think there was like a 1 foot difference between the two in a 1 stop test.

The brembo's will shine when it comes to repeated stops and are worth it if autox or road racing is involved
Old 6/3/10, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good insight, guys. I think there is a strong argument for or against the package.

No spare tire? I didn't know about that. Are the 19" tires "runflats" or something? At least this would save some weight.

As for winter driving being the reason for not getting the package- who drives on the all-seasons in winter weather anyway? IMO, real snow tires are cheap insurance...and the all-seasons would just not hack it in the snow anyway.
Old 6/3/10, 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

I didn't go with the Brembo package because...

Not a fan of the wheels, planed on doing after market wheels & tires anyway.

I will likely get better pads & rotors comp'd. Up in the air on calipers, depends on the amount of track days I go to. Took my '05 to the strip only 3 times, never autox or roadcourse; I plan on attending a couple track days w/ the '11.

I plan on lowering the car, it's a waste having the tuned front springs from the kit.

I never drive with traction control on (except in the rain when my rear tires are worn )
Old 6/3/10, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

No spare tire? Opps didn't notice that. And my fiance was all happy about the new car cause I'll finally have a spare tire again (took mine out a long time ago) Shhhh don't tell him!

I went with Brembos cause they look sexy and I really like the wheels.
Old 6/3/10, 07:28 AM
GT Member

The Brembo wheels look the best to me.

A one foot shorter stopping distance will be helpful under specific circumstances.
Old 6/3/10, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So I did order the package but I think I could have gone either way on this. My thoughts on getting the Brembo option were that I really like the wheels and I really value and appreciate the back-roads capability of these cars....and that since I was getting no other options (other than the 3.55 axle) I might as well opt for the only performance option.

If I didn't like the look of the wheels, or if I had aftermarket ones in mind...I might not have gone for it but something about the offset of the wheels that the S197 runs, its really rare for me to find a wheel I like. Also..I don't plan on modding this car much. I can appreciate how hard some of you guys tune your machines but I'm a fan of stock... with maybe intake/exhaust/tune only mods. So until the shocks are worn out, I'll at least have some relatively high performance suspension goodies.

I think you guys make sense in your reasoning for not getting the package (especially you AT folks )...always interesting to hear opinions on the various options.

Originally Posted by wingless

A one foot shorter stopping distance will be helpful under specific circumstances.
Hahaha... too true!

Last edited by MRGTX; 6/3/10 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Any '11 GT people who didn't opt for the Brembo package?