2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ambient Lighting Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/17, 02:42 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Ambient Lighting Not Working

So my ambient lighting hasn't been coming on my '14 GT. Tried changing multiple fuses (#9, #10, #25) and still nothing. I'd take it to the dealer but with my awesome luck warranty ran out on the 9th. Thought it might be my LED map lights screwing stuff up but still nothing with the stock bulbs back in. Any other ideas or suggestions? I can live without it, but it still bugs me.
Old 6/19/17, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the info screen that the ambient lighting is turned on? I'm pretty sure you can turn it on or off & change it from dim to bright. Just a wild guess LOL.
Old 6/19/17, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by knk11stang
Have you checked the info screen that the ambient lighting is turned on? I'm pretty sure you can turn it on or off & change it from dim to bright. Just a wild guess LOL.
I have, a few times, just to be sure! Haha I'm wondering if it has something to do with switching my parking lights to LEDs a few weeks back. I was looking at the instructions from Ford for installing it in cars that didn't have it and it looked like they tapped into the parking lights, so I'm gonna have to try switching out the bulbs and see if that fixes it.
Old 6/20/17, 11:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
I have, a few times, just to be sure! Haha I'm wondering if it has something to do with switching my parking lights to LEDs a few weeks back. I was looking at the instructions from Ford for installing it in cars that didn't have it and it looked like they tapped into the parking lights, so I'm gonna have to try switching out the bulbs and see if that fixes it.
It may have. These cars have some weird systems that are linked. I know someone here that had an issue with their remote start on their mustang. It ended up being led brake lights bulbs they installed that caused the problem. You never know. I'd swap the bulbs back and hope.
Old 6/22/17, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
They are new technology, so there are lots of bugs with those the last few years;
same with the door projector lights...
cup holder color rings...
etc etc
This is the first problem I've had with this car in the three years I've had it.
Originally Posted by Mr. V
It may have. These cars have some weird systems that are linked. I know someone here that had an issue with their remote start on their mustang. It ended up being led brake lights bulbs they installed that caused the problem. You never know. I'd swap the bulbs back and hope.
Definitely crazy. But it wasn't the LEDs or the resistors I put in for the turn signals. Last thought is the license plate bulbs, which I forgot to check tonight. Otherwise I think there's some sort of box in the center console that controls all the my color stuff, which could have gone out. The gauges and halos around them still change color though.
Old 6/23/17, 09:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes ? I know it sounds stupid
but it's worked for me a couple of times.

Last edited by TheReaper; 6/24/17 at 07:40 AM.
Old 6/24/17, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes ? I know it sounds stupid
but it's worked for me a couple of times.
Thanks, but that didn't work either. Gonna try the license plate bulbs today. I did notice yesterday one of them was burnt out already.
try a Google search
...that's the trouble with technology
Believe me, I've done tons of google searches. Most things I find never reach any conclusion.
Old 6/26/17, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ This is just sad... If you guys have a problem with something, just ignore it. Whining on here isn't going to get you anywhere.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
This is the first problem I've had with this car in the three years I've had it.

Definitely crazy. But it wasn't the LEDs or the resistors I put in for the turn signals. Last thought is the license plate bulbs, which I forgot to check tonight. Otherwise I think there's some sort of box in the center console that controls all the my color stuff, which could have gone out. The gauges and halos around them still change color though.
I would expect it to be separate from the gauge lighting. When I retrofit the ambient lighting in my 07 I had an issue where I could only have blue lighting, my problem turned out to be the switch connected to the control box. I believe this is the part number for the control box 8S4Z-13C788-A. If you have a multimeter you may try checking the voltage on both sides of this box, it should be relatively easy to access. A quick price search and the cheapest I found it for was 200 bucks so....

When I retrofit my old mustang I got the parts from a wrecker for dirt cheap, you may try the same if that proves to be the issue.

EDIT: you may try contacting the forum member jim010, from what I have seen he is a savant with the electrical system on these cars, and he really helped me out back when I had my 07 and did this retrofit.

Last edited by A Dustman; 6/26/17 at 01:27 PM.
Old 6/27/17, 04:30 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
All-

Please refrain from name calling, and not all threads need jokes interjected (though a lot could probably use a joke or two). Be civil, somewhat close to the topic when you post and most importantly . . . respectful towards other TMS members.

As the late great, James Dalton, once said . . . "Be nice . . . "

And great thread, Nathan!

OH . . . I've removed some posts that weren't necessary to Nathan's thread/topic.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 6/27/17 at 04:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (6/27/17)
Old 6/27/17, 09:47 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
All-

Please refrain from name calling, and not all threads need jokes interjected (though a lot could probably use a joke or two). Be civil, somewhat close to the topic when you post and most importantly . . . respectful towards other TMS members.

As the late great, James Dalton, once said . . . "Be nice . . . "

And great thread, Nathan!

OH . . . I've removed some posts that weren't necessary to Nathan's thread/topic.
Thank you Jason.. Rocky
Old 6/30/17, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Everyone . . . give it a rest, please. I don't want to close Nathan's thread, everyone has quirks and no one is a bad person . . . at least not in this thread. Please stay on topic, and as always be respectful and have fun.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 6/30/17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 6/30/17, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
With all due respect

I'm a bad person

I've done things I'm not proud of. One time I went through a drive thru at a burger place and they gave me an extra burger. I didn't say anything and I ate it and enjoyed it. So I felt fatter and guilt from the theft. Another time on an airplane I failed to fully return my seat to its upright position. But I've sought counseling and we are making progress.
Gary, you should've considered being a stand up comedian, you'd make a really good one, that's for sure I tell you, I never get any respect.. "Rodney Dangerfield"
Old 6/30/17, 11:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Gary, you should've considered being a stand up comedian, you'd make a really good one, that's for sure I tell you, I never get any respect.. "Rodney Dangerfield"
I would be a mix of Rodney Dangerfield, Jerry Seinfeld, and Steven Wright. And maybe a little Sam Kinison.

You're up late Rocky.
Old 6/30/17, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I would be a mix of Rodney Dangerfield, Jerry Seinfeld, and Steven Wright. And maybe a little Sam Kinison.

You're up late Rocky.
I could definitely pass for Sam Kinison, as I have his hair and weight for sure Gary.. As for being up late ? You can pretty much thank what's been going on with this thread during the last few days

Oops and I almost forgot about the.. "Anyone else like me still not liking the S550 design thread?"

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 6/30/17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 7/1/17, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I hope you find your light problem Nathan. I'd be interested in what would cause such a thing. I might have the same problem down the road.
Old 7/5/17, 09:03 PM

Old 7/6/17, 12:19 AM

See?
Old 7/6/17, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I think it is a good time to stop and repost what has been done in order to return to topic.

Have you put everything back to stock yet?

I also read the following in another thread called "ambient lighting revist [sic]":

"well, unfortunately my VCMII took a dump before I could try to reprogram the BCM-B module to activate ambient lighting."

Is it possible that the programming in the "BCM-B" module has been corrupted and needs to be reloaded? Or the BCM-B replaced?