Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Amazing what sticky (and wide) tires will do...

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/14, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Oh they hooked, alright

But yeah, I am not sure if they're the "Best" drag radials out there (Mickey T's, etc), but for the price and the tread pattern, in my opinion, they're fantastic. They ride decent on the road/highway as well. There was a little spin intially, but then hook. The stock pirellis were mostly spin, then you let off the gas to hook = slow

Not sure how the Nittos are in rain, tracking, dragging, etc... I will never find out, because my car will never see those events.

Good luck with getting the Whipple installed sir. You doing it yourself? I love my Magnuson... and the car is an absolute beast now.
I'll be doing the install myself. Several friends have volunteered to help, so it should go pretty smoothly. Unfortunately, the 2.9L kits are on backorder right now, so I have to wait a few months before I get it.
Old 3/20/14, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review Burton as always with your posts. I was really impressed with my tire upgrade as well. I just didn't like the feel of the PZero's. I replaced them with Pilot Sport AS+ in 275 all the way around and I can't get them to the limit yet. I can almost get there but it's ridiculously too much fun taking circle offramps at 60MPH. When I don't NEED to have winter use tires I will eventually get a drag set up to cruise around on when I'm at your power level. Until then, I'm enjoying the curves.
Old 3/20/14, 02:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey
I'll be doing the install myself. Several friends have volunteered to help, so it should go pretty smoothly. Unfortunately, the 2.9L kits are on backorder right now, so I have to wait a few months before I get it.
Mikey, that's great to hear. It's too bad you didn't get to talk to and influence Gabe before he wussed out and paid a shop to install it! Lol... Kidding gabe.

Btw yes 2.9L whipple was one of my close choices, 3rd after roush TVS. I loved the polished whipple option. I settled with the magnuson 2.3L TVS instead. Love it.

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Great review Burton as always with your posts. I was really impressed with my tire upgrade as well. I just didn't like the feel of the PZero's. I replaced them with Pilot Sport AS+ in 275 all the way around and I can't get them to the limit yet. I can almost get there but it's ridiculously too much fun taking circle offramps at 60MPH. When I don't NEED to have winter use tires I will eventually get a drag set up to cruise around on when I'm at your power level. Until then, I'm enjoying the curves.
Steve, anytime... I didn't know you upgraded to 275s all around. They fit good on stock brembos? But yes curves are a lot of fun. And on ramps are my fave as well. I purposely slow down till there's no one in front if me to the chagrin of those behind me. When clear, I "go".

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/20/14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 3/20/14, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Nitto's are definitely good tires. But Nitto's don't even come close to ET Streets from my experience. At least for launching that is. The Nitto's do make a much better all around street tire. I've driven on both extensively both at the track and on the street. At the track, my Nitto's always spun. My 315 ET Streets have never spun a single time. And I have people coming up to me all the time asking about my setup because it doesn't spin. Even on the street on dry pavement. I can't spin my tires. They just won't spin no matter how hard I launch lol.

Now...ET Streets on rain? That is scary stuff. I would never drive them exclusively as a street tire. The Nitto's are much better in that regards.
Old 3/20/14, 04:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve, anytime... I didn't know you upgraded to 275s all around. They fit good on stock brembos? But yes curves are a lot of fun. And on ramps are my fave as well. I purposely slow down till there's no one in front if me to the chagrin of those behind me. When clear, I "go".
Yep, they fit. I'm running 275/40 Conti DWS all around on the stock BBP wheels and love them. They hook up pretty good but then I'm stock lol.
Old 3/20/14, 07:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by db2797
The Nitto's are definitely good tires. But Nitto's don't even come close to ET Streets from my experience. At least for launching that is. The Nitto's do make a much better all around street tire. I've driven on both extensively both at the track and on the street. At the track, my Nitto's always spun. My 315 ET Streets have never spun a single time. And I have people coming up to me all the time asking about my setup because it doesn't spin. Even on the street on dry pavement. I can't spin my tires. They just won't spin no matter how hard I launch lol.

Now...ET Streets on rain? That is scary stuff. I would never drive them exclusively as a street tire. The Nitto's are much better in that regards.
Agreed. I have much experience with both tires. In my 93 Fox, I ran 10.80's with high 1.5 low 1.6 60' on 255 Mt Dr's on pony rims. However, I got caught in a sprinkle of rain and ended up in a ditch going 40 mph. Nittos do fine in the rain if you stay at 55 mph and they launch pretty good too; they just don't quite stick like MT's though. Just depends on what you want out of a tire. Don't be fooled, Nittos will hold their own at the track; just roast them in the burnout. I have NT555 extremes on my car now (18x10/18x9). Quite honestly, they're no better than the stock Pzeros.
Old 3/20/14, 08:13 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by db2797
The Nitto's are definitely good tires. But Nitto's don't even come close to ET Streets from my experience. At least for launching that is. The Nitto's do make a much better all around street tire. I've driven on both extensively both at the track and on the street. At the track, my Nitto's always spun. My 315 ET Streets have never spun a single time. And I have people coming up to me all the time asking about my setup because it doesn't spin. Even on the street on dry pavement. I can't spin my tires. They just won't spin no matter how hard I launch lol. Now...ET Streets on rain? That is scary stuff. I would never drive them exclusively as a street tire. The Nitto's are much better in that regards.
Originally Posted by 2012GT
Agreed. I have much experience with both tires. In my 93 Fox, I ran 10.80's with high 1.5 low 1.6 60' on 255 Mt Dr's on pony rims. However, I got caught in a sprinkle of rain and ended up in a ditch going 40 mph. Nittos do fine in the rain if you stay at 55 mph and they launch pretty good too; they just don't quite stick like MT's though. Just depends on what you want out of a tire. Don't be fooled, Nittos will hold their own at the track; just roast them in the burnout. I have NT555 extremes on my car now (18x10/18x9). Quite honestly, they're no better than the stock Pzeros.
That's great to know guys... Thanks for info. So ET streets are Mickey thompsons? If they're stickier in dry, I assume they don't last as long as nitto dr's? I even heard 1/2 as long. But yeah no worries for me, I don't drive in rain nor track.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/20/14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 3/20/14, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's great to know guys... Thanks for info. So ET streets are Mickey thompsons? If they're stickier in dry, I assume they don't last as long and nitto dr's? I even heard 1/2 as long.

But yeah no worries for me, I don't drive in rain nor track.
Not a problem!

Exactly...they are Mickey Thompson's. And yes, they are a softer compound than Nitto's, so they won't last as long.
Old 3/20/14, 08:27 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Burton

Nice review. 555R is a good tire at a fair price. Your car won't spin at all when it is 80 degrees.

1) SC cars run like a raped ape in the cold air. You will lose approx 2 lbs of boost when it goes from 55 to 80. Your car will feel different especially when it is 90+ with humidity. Just preparing you for the feeling that you will notice.

2) Heat will make the tires sticky.

3) You may want to consider a dual fan heat exchanger to help with the heat soak. Your car's ECU will pull timing when the IAT's get high from summer driving especially in traffic. A dual fan heat exchanger will help keep the engine cooler.
Old 3/20/14, 08:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MJJ
Burton

Nice review. 555R is a good tire at a fair price. Your car won't spin at all when it is 80 degrees.
I can tell you right now that this is simply not true.
Old 3/21/14, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
My bolt on car breaks them loose when it's 90 out lol.
Old 3/21/14, 07:40 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by conv_stang
My bolt on car breaks them loose when it's 90 out lol.
I think Sean meant when someone like me drives it, ie like a gramma lol, I can't/won't break em loose LOL
Old 3/21/14, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think you're right as well. If you're putting enough power down, no matter the temp or tires you've got, you'll spin a little.
Old 3/21/14, 11:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I had them on my car before I switched to Toyo 888's. The 555R's would break loose with 5lbs of boost in 1st, and started breaking at <10lbs in 2nd and 3rd. It says a lot that a road course tire (888) is better at hooking up from a dead stop in colder weather without warming them up than the 555R is in warm weather and a few turns to get them nice and sticky. The 888's, when they're warm, require most of the power I can produce to break them loose.

I'm not trying to belittle Burton's choice of tire because for what he wants, it's the right one. But to say that they're good drag radials is simply not true. There are much better options in terms of putting as much power down as possible. I found that out the hard--and expensive--way.
Old 3/21/14, 11:27 AM
I Have No Life

I had them on my car before I switched to Toyo 888's. The 555R's would break loose with 5lbs of boost in 1st, and started breaking at <10lbs in 2nd and 3rd. It says a lot that a road course tire (888) is better at hooking up from a dead stop in colder weather without warming them up than the 555R is in warm weather and a few turns to get them nice and sticky. The 888's, when they're warm, require most of the power I can produce to break them loose. I'm not trying to belittle Burton's choice of tire because for what he wants, it's the right one. But to say that they're good drag radials is simply not true. There are much better options in terms of putting as much power down as possible. I found that out the hard--and expensive--way.
That's a fair statement... No worries at all. Would it be a fair statement that I chose the best tire for my needs based on the fact that I don't take it to the track or strip or road course, and since they are not as sticky as toyos or MTs therefore they last a bit longer than they would?

For me, I just found the stock Pirelli 255s pretty much useless at my current power levels. As long as the nittos grip much better (which they do) than the pirellis and last a decent amount of life (which I hope), I'm satisfied. And once they're done for, I'll look into toyos or MTs for the rear 2
Old 3/21/14, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's a fair statement... No worries at all. Would it be a fair statement that I chose the best tire for my needs based on the fact that I don't take it to the track or strip or road course, and since they are not as sticky as toyos or MTs therefore they last a bit longer than they would?

For me, I just found the stock Pirelli 255s pretty much useless at my current power levels. As long as the nittos grip much better (which they do) than the pirellis and last a decent amount of life (which I hope), I'm satisfied. And once they're done for, I'll look into toyos or MTs for the rear 2
Depending on how much rwhp your car produces, I doubt you'll ever get to the point of breaking them loose the way you drive. If you do, then you'll at least know the limits of what they can take and I doubt you'll push the car or tires that hard very much. They're not as soft, they'll last longer and they'll provide plenty more traction than the Pirelli's. Honestly, if the 555R's work for you, no need to go to a softer compound. They're more expensive and they wear out more quickly; if the 555R's work, I'd stay with them. Were I you, the only reason I'd go to something else is if I were going to track it.
Old 3/21/14, 11:47 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
If you're pushing past 500rwhp, a race tire may be necessary. They are all deadly in the rain and only last 10k miles. Just comes down to what you are doing with the car. A normal radial may just not work for you no matter what one you use.
Old 3/21/14, 02:49 PM
I Have No Life

Depending on how much rwhp your car produces, I doubt you'll ever get to the point of breaking them loose the way you drive. If you do, then you'll at least know the limits of what they can take and I doubt you'll push the car or tires that hard very much. They're not as soft, they'll last longer and they'll provide plenty more traction than the Pirelli's. Honestly, if the 555R's work for you, no need to go to a softer compound. They're more expensive and they wear out more quickly; if the 555R's work, I'd stay with them. Were I you, the only reason I'd go to something else is if I were going to track it.
Yep... That's what I figured. Also, I will never track my car. Or race. Or auto cross. Or etc...

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
If you're pushing past 500rwhp, a race tire may be necessary. They are all deadly in the rain and only last 10k miles. Just comes down to what you are doing with the car. A normal radial may just not work for you no matter what one you use.
Not me Al... My car will never see a drop of rain, and I mean ever. In over 10 years of owning "toy" cars, never once have any of those ever seen rain. No sir.

But yes, I'm pushing 550whp. Oh and 10k miles is perfect! I put on 2k or so a year.
Old 3/21/14, 03:05 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yep... That's what I figured. Also, I will never track my car. Or race. Or auto cross. Or etc... Not me Al... My car will never see a drop of rain, and I mean ever. In over 10 years of owning "toy" cars, never once have any of those ever seen rain. No sir. But yes, I'm pushing 550whp. Oh and 10k miles is perfect! I put on 2k or so a year.
Almost 4 years having mine and only about 8500 miles I have put on it. Keep in mind that after about 3-4 years, you're gonna want to replace them anyways.

I got caught in the rain last year. Unavoidable and severe rain. 50 was the top speed I could go and still feel fairly safe. If you do get caught by the rain, just slow it way down.
Old 3/21/14, 03:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not me Al... My car will never see a drop of rain, and I mean ever. In over 10 years of owning "toy" cars, never once have any of those ever seen rain. No sir.
And here you spent all that money on intermittent wipers...

Quick Reply: Amazing what sticky (and wide) tires will do...