Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Amazing what sticky (and wide) tires will do...

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/14, 08:37 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Amazing what sticky (and wide) tires will do...

Yesterday, I got the opportunity to drive her on our warmest day thus far this season (don't laugh, it's warm for us...), 55 degrees. I drove her to work. Upon doing so, sometime around lunch, I got coerced by a co-worker to give them a ride. I obliged. Keep in mind, I have only had my SC setup since late September/early October, and only got a couple of weeks to drive her, and at that time, I was on stock 255 pirellis, and the temps were around 50 as well, during those last few weeks before I stored her in mid October.

So anyways, the roads yesterday were not ideally perfect, but it was clear enough (dry for sure) to drive on, since the sand/crap were pushed over to the side for the most part. So off we went. We were chatting for a little bit... then, out of the blue, I figured I'd really see what my new 305 Drag Radials would do, if it was really "worth" my investment. LOL... my buddy suddenly shut up and muttered "Oh *hit" under his breath. It was also the first time for me to experience that as well. Wow. From a rolling start even, I had some spin, but just for a split second, then they hooked. That back pinned in the seat is one of the best feelings in the world. And d*mn, but it was actually scary how quickly we got up to speed on the on ramp. I was shocked. My car felt TOTALLY different than last fall. I didn't know tires made THAT much of a difference. I've never driven/owned/etc a car putting that much power down and actually using it. Now I know what ~550whp feels like.... Those Nitto NT555Rs are amazing. I am sure there's better tires out there, better setups out there, and more powerful cars out there than mine... I get that. But for me, I was flabbergasted as much as my buddy was. Makes me appreciate all the hard work I put into her, and making her my own.

So anyways, for those of you considering some mods, look into tires. The stock pirellis were/are good... but I was already spinning them considerably in stock engine form, how much more in SC form. Sticky tires = good things.

p.s. I can't imagine how these 305s will perform in 80 degree weather this summer..... I can only imagine.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/19/14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 3/19/14, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to hear they hooked, since I have the same tires waiting to be mounted :-P And when the Whipple gets installed I'll need them!
Old 3/19/14, 09:06 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Mikey
Good to hear they hooked, since I have the same tires waiting to be mounted :-P And when the Whipple gets installed I'll need them!
Oh they hooked, alright

But yeah, I am not sure if they're the "Best" drag radials out there (Mickey T's, etc), but for the price and the tread pattern, in my opinion, they're fantastic. They ride decent on the road/highway as well. There was a little spin intially, but then hook. The stock pirellis were mostly spin, then you let off the gas to hook = slow

Not sure how the Nittos are in rain, tracking, dragging, etc... I will never find out, because my car will never see those events.

Good luck with getting the Whipple installed sir. You doing it yourself? I love my Magnuson... and the car is an absolute beast now.
Old 3/19/14, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Good review Burton ... I'm gonna be keeping my 18" SVT wheels for now so some 555R's in 305/40/18 will be on their way VERY soon, lol
Old 3/19/14, 09:30 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
Good review Burton ... I'm gonna be keeping my 18" SVT wheels for now so some 555R's in 305/40/18 will be on their way VERY soon, lol
Gabe, do they come in that size? I'm assuming you already checked...

But yeah, I was debating between those NT555R's, but also the Nitto NT555 extremes and also Invos (seems like everyone has them, and frankly, I don't care for the tread pattern on these: perhaps I'm in the minority), then the Toyo Drags and the Mickey T's. From my research, the Toyo's were a great tire too, but were pricey and didn't last long at all. Perhaps that meant they REALLY hook up. The Mickey T's they said lasted a long time, but thus, didn't hook up as well. So I figured, I'd pick the pair that had the best balance... the Goldilocks of Drag Radials, if you will.

p.s. how's Whipple install going??? Any more updated pics???
Old 3/19/14, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Gabe, do they come in that size? I'm assuming you already checked...

But yeah, I was debating between those NT555R's, but also the Nitto NT555 extremes and also Invos (seems like everyone has them, and frankly, I don't care for the tread pattern on these: perhaps I'm in the minority), then the Toyo Drags and the Mickey T's. From my research, the Toyo's were a great tire too, but were pricey and didn't last long at all. Perhaps that meant they REALLY hook up. The Mickey T's they said lasted a long time, but thus, didn't hook up as well. So I figured, I'd pick the pair that had the best balance... the Goldilocks of Drag Radials, if you will.

p.s. how's Whipple install going??? Any more updated pics???
Yes they do, they're $294 each with free shipping from Discount Tire Direct.

Most likely gonna order 4, 2 for me and 2 for the GF's Shelby.

We have drag-only 18x10 wheels that we're not sure yet what tires we'll put on them, but that will come too ...
I'm also contemplating selling those wheels and just using the wheels I have now with the new 555R's at the track too ...
Old 3/19/14, 10:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
When I had my 06 it was at 501/455 at the wheels. I was running 275/40/18 nitto 555s on all four corners but would swap out to M&H 325 17s at the strip. First time I ran with those was holy smokes lol. Dude at the strip taking photos said the drivers front tire was coming off the ground at launch.
Old 3/19/14, 10:46 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
The 555R's are pretty impressive. Summertime hot road surface and they really stick. The sidewalls are pretty stiff so cornering with them is very nice too. Just don't get them wet. I believe M/T's may do a little better on the track but Nittos for the street. I have to buy another pair soon and have been comparing a few options.
Old 3/19/14, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Yesterday, I got the opportunity to drive her on our warmest day thus far this season (don't laugh, it's warm for us...), 55 degrees. I drove her to work. Upon doing so, sometime around lunch, I got coerced by a co-worker to give them a ride. I obliged. Keep in mind, I have only had my SC setup since late September/early October, and only got a couple of weeks to drive her, and at that time, I was on stock 255 pirellis, and the temps were around 50 as well, during those last few weeks before I stored her in mid October.

So anyways, the roads yesterday were not ideally perfect, but it was clear enough (dry for sure) to drive on, since the sand/crap were pushed over to the side for the most part. So off we went. We were chatting for a little bit... then, out of the blue, I figured I'd really see what my new 305 Drag Radials would do, if it was really "worth" my investment. LOL... my buddy suddenly shut up and muttered "Oh *hit" under his breath. It was also the first time for me to experience that as well. Wow. From a rolling start even, I had some spin, but just for a split second, then they hooked. That back pinned in the seat is one of the best feelings in the world. And d*mn, but it was actually scary how quickly we got up to speed on the on ramp. I was shocked. My car felt TOTALLY different than last fall. I didn't know tires made THAT much of a difference. I've never driven/owned/etc a car putting that much power down and actually using it. Now I know what ~550whp feels like.... Those Nitto NT555Rs are amazing. I am sure there's better tires out there, better setups out there, and more powerful cars out there than mine... I get that. But for me, I was flabbergasted as much as my buddy was. Makes me appreciate all the hard work I put into her, and making her my own.

So anyways, for those of you considering some mods, look into tires. The stock pirellis were/are good... but I was already spinning them considerably in stock engine form, how much more in SC form. Sticky tires = good things.

p.s. I can't imagine how these 305s will perform in 80 degree weather this summer..... I can only imagine.
You're having way too much fun... One of us will be stopping by soon to take your car away from you
Old 3/19/14, 10:52 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by tom281
When I had my 06 it was at 501/455 at the wheels. I was running 275/40/18 nitto 555s on all four corners but would swap out to M&H 325 17s at the strip. First time I ran with those was holy smokes lol. Dude at the strip taking photos said the drivers front tire was coming off the ground at launch.
That is awesome! I wonder how mine look at launch
Old 3/19/14, 10:53 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Horspla
You're having way too much fun... One of us will be stopping by soon to take your car away from you
Fun for sure is an understatement. I can't ever recall grinning this much while driving a car.
Old 3/19/14, 12:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Thanks for the great review Burton. I wish i coulda been there.

**I like Nitto's alot. My Invos have hooked up when needed too. No regrets going with them. Mine is not supercharged though.
Old 3/19/14, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Fun for sure is an understatement. I can't ever recall grinning this much while driving a car.
Can you hear a lot of gravel/sand getting kicked up in the wheel wells. My Pilot SS's are horrible with that. Drives me nuts going through dirty parking lots.
Old 3/19/14, 12:32 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Horspla
Can you hear a lot of gravel/sand getting kicked up in the wheel wells. My Pilot SS's are horrible with that. Drives me nuts going through dirty parking lots.
Correct. More so (a lot more than stock pirellis) in a dirty parking lot like you said. I just make sure I go really slow in those instances.
Old 3/19/14, 01:05 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Thanks for the great review Burton. I wish i coulda been there. **I like Nitto's alot. My Invos have hooked up when needed too. No regrets going with them. Mine is not supercharged though.
Np Darren. Yeah it sounds like I'll be giving a lot more folks rides in the near future. You like your invos? It was one of my options before purchase.
Old 3/19/14, 03:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Good to hear Burton. Those are great tires.
Enjoy!
Old 3/19/14, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
We've got Invos on out 2013 GT500. 275 x 20 front & 295 x20 rear. They are almost as good as the conti DWS For rain. They are much stickier than the DWS when roads are warm. They still break loose when the screw kicks in on colder days... like yesterday. 50 degrees, 50 mph in 2nd gear, the screw starts whining & the rolling burnout began.
Old 3/20/14, 02:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The NT555R's will do ok in the rain. Just drive normal....and yes they will kick up a lot of crap into the wheel wells. Especially when warm....The NT-05's and the ET Streets are pretty similar. But don't expect a lot of mileage out of them. 10k-15k if you don't do any burnouts LOL
Old 3/20/14, 04:17 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by conv_stang
The NT555R's will do ok in the rain. Just drive normal....and yes they will kick up a lot of crap into the wheel wells. Especially when warm....The NT-05's and the ET Streets are pretty similar. But don't expect a lot of mileage out of them. 10k-15k if you don't do any burnouts LOL
Nick... Thanks for the input. I see you're a deputy sheriff, so I have a question. In terms of being "legal", I know the drag radials are street legal, but once the treads wear down, even though still drivable and perhaps with more traction available, I assume that's the point when it does become "illegal" if I get pulled over?

But yes as for rain and only lasting 10k, no worries. She will literally never see rain, and I only put a couple k miles per year anyways.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/20/14 at 04:18 AM.
Old 3/20/14, 05:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Need to update that...did my 8 years got tired of the politics LOL.
As long as it has DOT stamped on it. They are fine...if you were to get into an accident and your tires were bald. Then they could write you for defective equipment. And if your state inspection is good you should be fine...I don't know of anyone that has gotten stopped for their tires.

Quick Reply: Amazing what sticky (and wide) tires will do...