Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/11, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two completely different cars, if you need a back seat that should narrow it down quite a bit. As a current owner of a E92 M3 I will tell you right now that I would take a 2011/12 Mustang GT over a Z4M. Now if the Z4M had the S65 powerplant out of the E92 M3 that could be a game changer.

Dave
Old 4/28/11, 10:24 AM
DFV
Bullitt Member

A must get for the 2012 'stang is the Brembo brake upgrade. It turns a GT into a BMW "M" car eater.
Old 4/28/11, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Two completely different cars, if you need a back seat that should narrow it down quite a bit. As a current owner of a E92 M3 I will tell you right now that I would take a 2011/12 Mustang GT over a Z4M. Now if the Z4M had the S65 powerplant out of the E92 M3 that could be a game changer.

Dave
So, the Z4M has a back seat.
Old 4/28/11, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiki says 2 seat roadster.

http://m.bmwusa.com/Vehicle/ImageSli...d=37&imageno=2
Pic 3 of 24
Old 4/28/11, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
Wiki says 2 seat roadster.

http://m.bmwusa.com/Vehicle/ImageSli...d=37&imageno=2
Pic 3 of 24
I was making a joke. LOL The backseat of a mustang is useless. Even if you found someone short enough (I'd say under 5') for the head clearance, they still wouldn't have any leg clearance. I don't even have my seat all the way back and there is only a few inches between the front seat and the back seat.
Old 4/28/11, 10:48 AM

I don't really need a backseat. There's some added advantage but the trunk is big enough in the Z4 M that space isn't an issue.

If I go Mustang GT I'm getting pretty much everything except CS, Shaker upgrade and Navigation. Should be a meaty race car. I will say after sleeping on it I'm leaning Mustang. It should last longer and this will be a daily driver. I loved driving the z4 M but I'm not sure I would love it as much driving it around constantly. I may save my convertible driving for exotic car rentals on vacations.
Old 4/28/11, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrdogface
I don't really need a backseat. There's some added advantage but the trunk is big enough in the Z4 M that space isn't an issue.

If I go Mustang GT I'm getting pretty much everything except CS, Shaker upgrade and Navigation. Should be a meaty race car. I will say after sleeping on it I'm leaning Mustang. It should last longer and this will be a daily driver. I loved driving the z4 M but I'm not sure I would love it as much driving it around constantly. I may save my convertible driving for exotic car rentals on vacations.
Dude, you NEED the electronics package!!!
Old 4/28/11, 12:06 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Business Search is cool - does it require a Sirius subscription? What about traffic and directions?

The others all require Sirius or I don't find as cool as the above. So I'm mainly interested in video 1.
Hi mrdogface,

Business Search and Turn-By-Turn Traffic directions are all part of the SYNC System services. It does not require Sirius. Now, with this said, you should just go ahead and get your Mustang.

Deysha
Old 4/28/11, 01:30 PM

No wrong answer here really, presuming you don't need the extra size and space of the Stang. Performance wise, the Stang has a bit more motor while the Z4M has a bit more overall handling.

You'll certainly have more exclusivity with the Z4, for better (won't see two dozen every drive to work) and worse (BMW=Bust My Wallet maintenance and parts). While the motor isn't quite as powerful as the 5.0, the S54 mill is still one of the motors for the ages and hardly slow (low 13s in the quarter) with a stirring, unstrainied 8K red line -- basically a streetable race motor.

The Stang will be newer, more warranty, cheaper to own and a bit faster in the straights, not to mention more space if you need to haul a lot of stuff/bodies. Real world handling will be down a notch and they're about as exclusive as belly buttons. You won't get the Nth degree interior refinement or materials either, not that the latest Stang is so shoddy in this regard anymore. And there's always that V8 rock and roll rumble.

Basically, I'd just follow your heart here. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/28/11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Nope. Makes sense to me.
Old 4/28/11, 03:38 PM

I'm planning to go with the Mustang GT. I haven't bought it yet but will be taking it for a bit longer drive than 15 minutes. The only question would be the technology package. 11SHELBYGT500, why do I need it?

My phone is a much more capable navigation device than any in car nav I have ever seen. With Google Voice I can say "navigate to (insert name)" with 90-95% success. Plus I have internet for searches when needed. All I need is a mount. I don't care about dual climate control. HD radio would be nice just so I could see which bands are playing on FM but hardly a deal braker. The only other consideration which I haven't seen a solid answer on is do I need the tech package to get AppLink?

As to the decision...the difference maker really comes down to the Mustang being a better daily driver and more useful for it's every day use (passing people vs. making sharp turns in a z4 m). I actually started considering the Boss 302 before I saw Sync wasn't an option which was a deal breaker.

Anyway, I like the Z4 M seats more but the ride is more comfortable in the GT without feeling too 'loose'. The interiors are pretty comparable and I do like the 401a spec a lot. It is a bummer I can't get the side decals with the 401a spec though (is it made in a different plant or something???). So there are a few, weird nit picky things but that still leaves the GT as the better car. I'll look for some after market work to see if I can get those small side stripes or something.
Old 4/28/11, 03:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Honestly you don't
Old 4/28/11, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Honestly you don't
Don't lie to him just because you can't get it. LOL Where to begin, how about 200 CD's stored on hard drive and not even half full. DVD playback. Sirius radio (I tell you a little secret) if you buy the car at early build the first 1 1/2 years of service is free. Since the car gets activated at factory for a year and at the end of that you use your six months free card. Navigation of course. Around me navigation, food, gas, etc meaning anything you can think of it will find...and so much more. The only thing better than the electronics package is my motor.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/28/11 at 03:49 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 03:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

Don't lie to him just because you can't get it. LOL Where to begin, how about 200 CD's stored on hard drive and not even half full. DVD playback. Sirius radio (I tell you a little secret) if you buy the car at early build the first 1 1/2 years of service is free. Since the car gets activated at factory for a year and at the end of that you use your six months free card. Navigation of course. Around me navigation, food, gas, etc meaning anything you can think of it will find...and so much more. The only thing better than the electronics package is my motor.
iPhone has plenty of music plus the app slacker, gamin GPS has Bluetooth and great navigation. I had Sirius since 2003 and just canceled it, no longer need to pay for sub par music selection. DVD play is not needed either I'm in my car to drive it not eat popcorn and watch a movie.
Old 4/28/11, 03:56 PM
Banned

iPhone has plenty of music plus the app slacker, gamin GPS has Bluetooth and great navigation. I had Sirius since 2003 and just canceled it, no longer need to pay for sub par music selection. DVD play is not needed either I'm in my car to drive it not eat popcorn and watch a movie.
My 32gb iPhone 4 can't touch my electronic package...and you have say that, you can't haz electronic package in your Boss.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 4/28/11 at 03:58 PM.
Old 4/28/11, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

My 32gb iPhone 4 can't touch my electronic package...and you have say that, you can't haz electronic package in your Boss.
I could easily by aftermarket for a lot less. My iPhone surpasses what is needed
Old 4/28/11, 04:07 PM

I understand that the tech package makes sense for certain people. It still doesn't seem to make sense to me. I currently have a Galaxy S phone which is buggy and somewhat slow, but I'll be putting the savings of not having a nav into getting a new phone. I prefer Android over iOS any day due to customization. I've seen the nav in an F-150. I don't know if it's the same, but despite the bugs my phone is clearly superior (as long as I have signal).

I don't care about Sirius - I only use Pandora or my music collection in my car...sometimes local radio.

I'm planning to use a 8 GB USB drive for my hard drive - which, as I understand, Sync can recognize just like the internal hard drive for navigation. DVDs are nifty but I can't imagine it would really get used.

So it seems like the tech package may not be for me. I am curious whether not having it affects AppLink - which I think has the potential for some really cool stuff.
Old 4/28/11, 04:08 PM
Banned

I could easily by aftermarket for a lot less. My iPhone surpasses what is needed
Not at a factory look. Is it just cost for you or you just don't want it?
Old 4/28/11, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I understand that the tech package makes sense for certain people. It still doesn't seem to make sense to me. I currently have a Galaxy S phone which is buggy and somewhat slow, but I'll be putting the savings of not having a nav into getting a new phone. I prefer Android over iOS any day due to customization. I've seen the nav in an F-150. I don't know if it's the same, but despite the bugs my phone is clearly superior (as long as I have signal).

I don't care about Sirius - I only use Pandora or my music collection in my car...sometimes local radio.

I'm planning to use a 8 GB USB drive for my hard drive - which, as I understand, Sync can recognize just like the internal hard drive for navigation. DVDs are nifty but I can't imagine it would really get used.

So it seems like the tech package may not be for me. I am curious whether not having it affects AppLink - which I think has the potential for some really cool stuff.
Try slacker fir music
Old 4/28/11, 04:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Not at a factory look. Is it just cost for you or you just don't want it?
Yes factory look

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?