2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/11, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?

I'm looking for a new car and test drove a Z4 M coupe. It was a great car and one that feels like I should like better than a Mustang GT. I'm not too concerned with MS Sync as I mainly just care about Bluetooth. Some of the stuff is cool but not going to be what makes me love a car.

However, I was leaning Mustang GT and after most of my driving looking at all the coupes I've seen I still am. Obviously there may be a biased answer on this forum but should I pass up an 07-08 Z4 M coupe in good condition and low miles to get a new 2012 Mustang GT?
Old 4/27/11, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrdogface
...should I pass up an 07-08 Z4 M coupe in good condition and low miles to get a new 2012 Mustang GT?
Yes.
Old 4/27/11, 09:18 PM

Get the GT! I just traded an 08 335i for an 11 Mustang GT and have NO regrets! I had wanted an E92 M3 (preowned and still couldn't afford it) but drove it, liked it but expected more especially for what the going price is. When I drove the Mustang I walked away impressed, surprised and smiling ear to ear. Go with your gut feeling. The Mustang is incredible...you will not be disappointed.
Old 4/27/11, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scott15
Get the GT! I just traded an 08 335i for an 11 Mustang GT and have NO regrets! I had wanted an E92 M3 (preowned and still couldn't afford it) but drove it, liked it but expected more especially for what the going price is. When I drove the Mustang I walked away impressed, surprised and smiling ear to ear. Go with your gut feeling. The Mustang is incredible...you will not be disappointed.
I should say the prices are pretty comparable. Getting a pretty good deal on either at this point with relatively similar features. Only real non driving related difference is HD radio on the Z4 M and the extra benefits of Sync with the Mustang.

Glad to hear you have no regrets though on going from the 335i to Mustang GT.
Old 4/27/11, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrdogface
I'm looking for a new car and test drove a Z4 M coupe. It was a great car and one that feels like I should like better than a Mustang GT. I'm not too concerned with MS Sync as I mainly just care about Bluetooth. Some of the stuff is cool but not going to be what makes me love a car.

However, I was leaning Mustang GT and after most of my driving looking at all the coupes I've seen I still am. Obviously there may be a biased answer on this forum but should I pass up an 07-08 Z4 M coupe in good condition and low miles to get a new 2012 Mustang GT?
Get the Mustang, servicing the Z4 will be $$$$ plus the Mustang has full warranty.

I had a '07 750Li and a '09 335i

Last edited by Big Vito; 4/27/11 at 09:39 PM.
Old 4/27/11, 09:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the Mustang!! For the record, just cause it comes with Sync; doesn't mean you have to use it! I didn't use mine for prob 1st 2-3 months? Yes, I don't use the phone much, but still. Just get that Mustang!! I give you prob a day, say a week, I'm sure you'll forget all about that BMW. I am just so happy I bought mine!!!

Sorry, I saw you WAS concerned. My bad.

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 4/27/11 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Read wrong!
Old 4/27/11, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Id go with the mustang for a few reasons.
Factory warranty, service is nothing price wise compared to BMW, looks sick, SYNC is really convenient, its a piece of American history, and of course stompin all over ricers, slowmaro's, and just about anythin on the roads puts you on top of the food chain!
Old 4/27/11, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

As crazy as it may sound I was also looking at the BMWs for years. My 03 cobra like most cars from 2003 is far behind todays cars in the technology department. I still have the cobra by the way. I love technology so in 2008 I got a new a Ford Focus....nothing to write home about but I instantly fell in love with the SYNC technology. By 2010 I needed more so I cross shopped between the C63, M3, and the GT500. All were still pricy but the GT500 edged the others out overall. I decided to keep my cobra and get a fully loaded V6 with Nav and the works. Now I have my tech toys in a really cool car and I have my 700HP all out Go-Getter. My best advice is to play with the tech toys in the mustang and compare them to the BMW. You will see that Ford is FAR ahead of them in this segment. Then compare driving dynamics and handling. You have to form your own opinion here as well as with styling. I think it is safe to say that the 5.0 is more powerful and uses less fuel but again you need to research that and not just here in the forum. Hope this helps. Below are a few videos showing the BASICS of some features that I like. Sorry about the dry Ford videos but it demonstrates in a nutshell many of the features of SYNC. I watched BMW infotainment videos as well. Also really dry and far fewer features all controlled by a iDrive joystick...not cool.

http://youtu.be/oJwPXA3jCGM

http://youtu.be/e0DS_84OL1c

http://youtu.be/FtIrQPu7NC4

http://youtu.be/I-4ZHQkMjAg

http://youtu.be/46eVGM4qkcc

http://youtu.be/UxnQ4CBr4Jc

http://youtu.be/zomj6F7tyd4
Old 4/27/11, 11:47 PM

Business Search is cool - does it require a Sirius subscription? What about traffic and directions?

The others all require Sirius or I don't find as cool as the above. So I'm mainly interested in video 1.
Old 4/28/11, 12:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Mine came with Sirius. Salesman said it'd last for 6 months, lasted for like 3? Mine doesn't have navigation, can't help ya with that.
Old 4/28/11, 12:25 AM

Yeah I'm not paying for Sirius after the trial period. The sync video above shows traffic + directions without navigation. I just didn't know if you needed to be synced up with Sirius for it. I assume not since it doesn't say so but is pretty cool so I'm curious.
Old 4/28/11, 12:41 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your first posts on here are to ask whether you should buy a used bimmer over a new Mustang GT?

Then I definitely think you should buy the bimmer.

The mere fact that you are considering it means that the Mustang is not for you.
Old 4/28/11, 01:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Ain't got to be an a-hole, he just was asking.
Old 4/28/11, 01:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Your first posts on here are to ask whether you should buy a used bimmer over a new Mustang GT?

The mere fact that you are considering it means that the Mustang is not for you.
Maybe he is just trying to ask before spending $30K+. As you see the mustang has been getting a lot of hype over the last year and many people are not as familiar with these cars because they have been into the Euro scene. One fact for certain is that today fuel/gas is very expensive. Also it is getting harder and harder to justify spending $50K-$60K for a car when there are vehicles for half the cost that perform as good or better and still get decent fuel economy. In this case I think there will be many more cross shoppers cruising within this forum and asking questions as newbies. Forum etiquette is always welcome I agree but no harm in this case I guess.

I'm curious what he ultimately purchases.

Last edited by eurocobra; 4/28/11 at 01:38 AM.
Old 4/28/11, 07:33 AM
V6 Member

One other point to make which was weighted heavily on my pro/con list when considering different cars is that the mustang is a very practical car for many different situations. I enjoy taking lengthy road trips. The mustang is perfect for this! It is extremely comfortable! Everyone who rides in the car comments first on how comfy the seats are. The trunk is large and can facilitate a spare tire. Should u run out of trunk space, there is a back seat. A couple weeks ago I was buying some 2x4's and had no problem folding down the back seats and fitting them in the car.

I don't know much about the z4 m coupes, but I imagine the trunk is smaller, offer no back seats, and have no clue if the seats are comfortable.

The only gripe I have about the mustang on a road trip is the placement of the upholders with having a manual transmission. BUT, this is a very very small price to pay to have such an exceptional vehicle in all other areas!

Not sure what your intended use is, but if you're looking for a daily driver that doubles as a bad a$$ weekend cruiser, then there is no other option than the mustang for the same price in my opinion!
Old 4/28/11, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I traded an '07 LS2 2LT Glass Top Vette with SLP CAI and CAT back exhaust for an '11 GT w/Brembos.

I couldn't be happier.
Old 4/28/11, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

Eh...I'm in an old Camry right now. My exposure to cars has been what's reliable, what's safe and for fast cars what can beat what in 0-60 or a 1/4 mile. Aside from that there's just name brand.

When I started looking at cars I was a bit more caught up in the idea that these luxury brands were going to be significantly better. They're really not which is disappointing to some degree. A day after having driven both I feel like the Mustang is the better car. It feels wrong because 4 months ago if you ask me which I wanted I would've said Z4 M hands down. Obviously being more informed changes things but I'm asking here because it feels like I'm missing something. It feels like the Z4 M should be a no brainer, but it's not. In any case, I don't take offense - Ltngdrvr is still providing something constructive.

Ultimately I'm here to get a good range of opinions from Mustang owners who made similar decisions. eurocobra is dead on - the 5.0 Mustang is getting rave reviews and the Mustangs seem to be reasonably reliable. For those who are 6+ months outside of their purchase I'm curious what the feeling is if they owned or considered owning something similar - no regrets are great!
Old 4/28/11, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah you're crazy, crazy like a coyote. LOL see what I did there.
Old 4/28/11, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Yeah you're crazy, crazy like a coyote. LOL see what I did there.
Isn't it crazy like a fox?
Old 4/28/11, 10:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Not anymore!! I have to remember that!

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a Mustang GT over a Z4 M?