Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Am I being crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/10, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being crazy?

I have an '11 V6 Convertible with a 6-Speed manual -- a dream come true after many years of wanting. It is so much **** fun. I really love the driving experience, and with the top down it is just a blast.

And yet,when I put the top up I hear some small things that are getting on my nerves. I've never had a car that I payed this much attention to, so I can't tell if they're real problems, or just me being compulsive:

1) With the top up and the windows down, there's a ticking/cracking sound from where the a-pillars meet the roof. If I put the windows up, I can still hear it. Distracting.

2) The insert on the shift **** makes a creaking sound when I move the level up (into 1st, 3rd, and 5th). It's the lower left corner of the trim insert (below and to the left of the "2") that makes the sound.

3) When I push in the clutch, I can hear a clicking sound.

None of these are "huge" problems. BUT, for me to spend 33K on a car is a big deal. When we were all waiting for our ordered cars, I said I didn't mind waiting, if the car would be perfect. It's so much fun, but it doesn't feel perfect.

So -- I know this isn't group therapy, but do y'all think I'm being weird and compulsive? If I take the car to the service department to get some warranty-covered fixes, will they laugh at me for being a loony?
Old 9/27/10, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

You're not crazy. I've got a 2011 GT, and at speeds at/above 80-85 mph, there is a very slight 'metallic' rattling noise coming either from the driver air vent or the driver mirror. I can't tell what it is, but it is driving me nuts. It is a minor noise, and is hard to hear from the passenger side even. But still, I expect a new car not to have any rattles ... even at 85! I might try and take it to a dealer.
Old 9/27/10, 04:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You guys are both crazy for buying a Mustang and expecting it to be perfect, no matter what the price. And before this statement gets copied and posted on Camaro5 it applies to 99.9% of ALL makes/models out there.
Old 9/27/10, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

no your not being crazy at all, and nor will they laugh at you. You bought their product, they have jobs because of these problems... if these cars came out perfect many men in the ford business wouldn't have a job because there would be nothing to fix.

Take it in an get them fixed while its on warrenty
Old 9/27/10, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

On three, does it do it if you push the clutch in slow? Does it sound like the transmission or something else?

I've heard the slight metallic ticking at around 70 when I first got my car, I don't notice it much anymore, it was always only barely noticeable to begin with. But you know, what really gets me as weird about my car is this weird ping that happens on occasion. It sounds exactly like someone flicking a wine glass from somewhere in the center line of the car. To this day I have no idea what it could even possibly be, there is no consistency with when it happens, only that the car is moving and it's usually on gravelly roads, leading me to think some bit of gravel is kicked up from the ground and hits... whatever it is.

Last edited by Lancel; 9/27/10 at 05:19 PM.
Old 9/27/10, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
Does it sound like the transmission or something else?
No, it's in the pedal's action. I think it might be the ignition shut-off switch, that prevents you from starting the car when it's in gear? Still, the click is fairly loud.
Old 9/27/10, 06:22 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Rabbi Mike
No, it's in the pedal's action. I think it might be the ignition shut-off switch, that prevents you from starting the car when it's in gear? Still, the click is fairly loud.
I just started noticing an annoying "tick" every time I depress the clutch pedal. It's annoying as hell. Otherwise, knock on wood, my 2011 is tomb silent and rattle-free. Of course, I'm coming from an '07 Mustang GT with Borla Stingers...!
Old 9/27/10, 07:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank up the tunes!

Old 9/27/10, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Crank up the tunes!

This!
Old 9/28/10, 12:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Your not crazy at all...you spent good money on a ford product and you want it right! Who cares how big or small the issue...

I would write down all your issues,and then make a arrangement to have one of your dealerships head mechanics (demand perhaps head one) come for a test drive first,and then fix to your satisfaction!
Old 9/28/10, 02:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
You guys are both crazy for buying a Mustang and expecting it to be perfect, no matter what the price.......it applies to 99.9% of ALL makes/models out there.
This. No new car will be perfect, at least not for long. I've had six new cars in the last 14 years, and none were what I would call completely perfect, if you look hard enough, and have standards that are too high, you can find issues with just about any new car. You have to decide what you can and can't live with, for every person it is different.

The downside to taking it back to the dealer for ever little noise or minor issue, is that they can sometimes create new problems (that may not surface right away) if they are tearing your car apart trying to find an intermittent click or creak or other noise.

Last edited by Ministang; 9/28/10 at 02:54 AM.
Old 9/28/10, 07:02 AM
Banned

I have the EXACT same thing. I don't know if it's from the door, or the speaker...it's very annoying.

Also, I can hear the this noise mostly during the night coming from the rear of my car. It feels like you're driving on wet pavement and the tires are making the noise when you're driving through water. However, the roads are dry.

But yes, it's foolish to expect a car not have problems. At least minor ones. I already had my transmission/clutch/shifter replaced at 400 miles

Hopefully that's it for a goooooood while. Oh and I forgot to mention when the car is idle I can hear one of the belts pretty **** loudly. It mixes in with the work of the engine and the sound of the exhaust and it's bugging me. Hopefully that's normal for "breaking in".

Originally Posted by orgchem
You're not crazy. I've got a 2011 GT, and at speeds at/above 80-85 mph, there is a very slight 'metallic' rattling noise coming either from the driver air vent or the driver mirror. I can't tell what it is, but it is driving me nuts. It is a minor noise, and is hard to hear from the passenger side even. But still, I expect a new car not to have any rattles ... even at 85! I might try and take it to a dealer.

Last edited by ssimaniac; 9/28/10 at 07:03 AM.
Old 9/28/10, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the clutch pedal click or pop noise too. I'm assuming it is a noisy clutch position switch, but I have yet to stick my head under the dash to investigate. I had 3 SN-95's for 16 years and over 350k miles & none of these switches made noise !!

The convertible related noises are just part of owning one. On the plus side, I'd guess it has far less noises than convertibles from the past though.

Doug
Old 9/28/10, 07:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey, look at the bright side. You could have spent $250,000 on a Ferrari and had it burn up in your driveway, street, or Interstate, due to the adhesive used in the engine compartment melting and catching fire.

Mustangs are mass produced and things happen during production that may be missed when the car clears QC, simply because it could not be seen or heard at that time. That is why we have a warranty.

Honestly, I like little things that make the car personal. I look for those things and fix them myself, if possible. That just seems to make the car more "mine". If you cannot fix the issue, due to location (I will not tear out my dash) then take it in and let the dealer work on it, or just live with it, if it is not serious.

Yesterday I took her up into the hills, opened the windows, turned off the Shaker, and just listened to that 5.0 running through the gears on the twisty two lanes, for over two hours. Other noises were not heard