Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Aluminum DS, Steeda VS DSS

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/15, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum DS, Steeda VS DSS

Hi Guys:

I am researching about aluminum driveshafts and I done some search on this forum. I just need some clarification (personal experience would be great) about the DS with CV joint such as the DSS brand and the Steeda one which assumingly (if I am not wrong) doesn't have a CV joint. Based on what I have read, it seems there has been some vibration issues with some of the DSS ones at certain RPM and speed although based on what they say on their website, these DS has been tested at a very high RPM (9000) and is designed for high horse power applications.
If a driveshaft doesn't have a CV joint what would happen if you lower front and/or rear of the car? Do you have to do anything with pinion angle or anything else?
Thanks,
Old 12/3/15, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A one piece driveshaft will usually fix your vibration issues if there are any in the drivetrain. They won't cause vibrations, unless they aren't calibrated right, which is highly unlikely.

I have the DSS 1 piece driveshaft and its good. Car drives more nimble and i was able to remove the speed limiter. If i had to do it all over again with a bit more cash, i would buy the carbon fiber one. But either way, you can't go wrong. I suggest only replace it if you plan on removing the speed limiter. Otherwise it won't do you much good.
Old 12/3/15, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info IceD. I see in your sig that you have Eibach springs on your car. How much drop do you have? Did you install the DSS before, after or at the same time?

I also want to thank TJ and Chad at Steeda. They have been emailing me and providing me with as much information as they can find. I really appreciate their customer service. Thank you.
Old 12/3/15, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either one. I am a bit partial to the DSS CF Driveshaft as it tends to dampen any unwanten noises in the drivetrain better than the aluminum driveshafts do and are one or 2 pounds lighter.

If you do happen to get some vibration issues you normally just turn the driveshaft 180 degrees and bolt it back up and it goes away. You also have to check your pinion angle after installing the driveshaft. I forget off the top of my head what the range is supposed to be set to though.
Old 12/3/15, 09:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wrkhrd
Thanks for the info IceD. I see in your sig that you have Eibach springs on your car. How much drop do you have? Did you install the DSS before, after or at the same time?

I also want to thank TJ and Chad at Steeda. They have been emailing me and providing me with as much information as they can find. I really appreciate their customer service. Thank you.
You're welcome. The drop is about 1.2" rear and 1" front. I wish i had more drop, but then cars become uncomfortable to drive if they are fully lowered.

I installed them separately. Their purchase had months in between, so they were installed at different times.
Old 12/4/15, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
The BMR springs drop about 1.75 in the back and 1.5 in the front IIRC and they ride like stock pretty much. It is another option to go with.

Old 12/4/15, 09:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
That car is hot. That is all thank you lol...