2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

AirCon question

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/13, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirCon question

Normally, I don't run the air con in my mustang. Living in the seattle area doesn't usually demand it, until lately anyway.

I was curious what others think of their mustang's AirCon systems, because mine sure as hell feels weak. My grandmother's 10y/o buick cools quicker and it's a darker car than mine. After 10 minutes it still feels like it's blowin in 75+ degree air.

It eventually cools down, but it takes it quite a while.
Old 7/26/13, 04:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirius
Normally, I don't run the air con in my mustang. Living in the seattle area doesn't usually demand it, until lately anyway.

I was curious what others think of their mustang's AirCon systems, because mine sure as hell feels weak. My grandmother's 10y/o buick cools quicker and it's a darker car than mine. After 10 minutes it still feels like it's blowin in 75+ degree air.

It eventually cools down, but it takes it quite a while.
I live in a pretty hot, humid area where it's over 90 constantly and have no complaints about the A/C in my Mustang. Works fine. However, GM cars typically have the best A/C of any cars so it doesn't surprise me that your Grandma's is so good.
Old 7/26/13, 05:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The key is getting the air flow through the condensor in the front. If you do lots of idling, then the AC is not going to feel "cold". Going to electric fans has helped, as they run as soon as the AC is turned on, usually at a higher speed to draw air through the condensor at idle. My 2005 F150 used a clutch type fan, which was a low speed pull at idle. I installed an e-fan on it, and the AC got much cooler during idle situations.

The R134 type freon is much less efficient then the old R12, but is more friendly to our ozone. This newer freon also requires a larger condensor. Something your grandmothers Buick most likely has over our Mustang. Not a whole lot of front grill space to fit a large condensor in.

Besides, old people start to smell with age; we need to keep them cooler to prevent this.
Old 7/26/13, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My a/c works great and I live in a hot and humid city. The a/c in my 07 GT was crap compared to the 2011.