Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/13, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice Needed

Thinking about selling my '12 GT Premium Brembo Pkg, 14k miles, 6 MT, Bama tuned, Roush AB exhaust, Custom shift ****, JLT Oil separator and Husky Floor Liners. With all the rebates on the '13-'14 and the '15 coming out soon, not really sure if I want to try and trade. If I decide to sell, I'll probably take all the mods off and sell them since most people don't consider that when looking at the value of the car. Any of you guys had any experiences recently selling an '11-'12? NADA values trade in at $24k, KBB says $26k but I'm sure a dealership would be around $20-22k -- I haven't been to a dealership with it, I know it's pretty much a waste of my time considering. Thoughts?

Name:  null_zps5dc86537.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  70.1 KBName:  null_zpsf312e1b3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  109.1 KB
Old 9/26/13, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
why do you wanna trade?
Old 9/26/13, 09:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
why do you wanna trade?
I'd rather put money towards paying off student loans, credit cards, etc. Paying close to $800/month with gas for the 60+ mile commute, insurance being 24 years old, and car payment is getting old quick... Filling up almost twice a week and not really getting to enjoy the car... Been debating it for a couple months now... Still completely undecided
Old 9/26/13, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dkmcclelland
I'd rather put money towards paying off student loans, credit cards, etc. Paying close to $800/month with gas for the 60+ mile commute, insurance being 24 years old, and car payment is getting old quick... Filling up almost twice a week and not really getting to enjoy the car... Been debating it for a couple months now... Still completely undecided
well what i gather from your first post is you wanna trade up to possibly a 13-14 but with the 15' coming soon you might wait for that?

doesn't really solve your issue. Unless your trading in for a Focus.
Old 9/26/13, 09:29 PM
GT Member

well what i gather from your first post is you wanna trade up to possibly a 13-14 but with the 15' coming soon you might wait for that?

doesn't really solve your issue. Unless your trading in for a Focus.
Nah, would sell/trade the Stang in for something a lot cheaper on gas/ins/pmt... something around $15k 3-6 years old... Not necessarily another Mustang... I only referenced the '13-'15 in terms of resale value of my '12
Old 9/27/13, 08:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Nah, would sell/trade the Stang in for something a lot cheaper on gas/ins/pmt... something around $15k 3-6 years old... Not necessarily another Mustang... I only referenced the '13-'15 in terms of resale value of my '12
ah ok. Well do what ya have to do. Your way better off to try to sell it then trade it in. I think your gonna look at getting around 20k for it i imagine maybe a little more. Could always throw 22-23k on as a price and see if you get any takers.
Old 9/27/13, 08:30 AM

How much do you owe on it? Sell it and get debt free so you can buy one later and really enjoy it.
Old 9/27/13, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor

ah ok. Well do what ya have to do. Your way better off to try to sell it then trade it in. I think your gonna look at getting around 20k for it i imagine maybe a little more. Could always throw 22-23k on as a price and see if you get any takers.
rmurer is right about having a private sale instead of a trade in. If you're going to get ride of the car, you might as well try and get the most money you can for it. Especially since there's still a very strong demand for a 5.0 GT, regardless if it's the 11-12 style. I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

I feel your pain on the student loans too. They're pretty rough when you're just getting started with a full time job. Pay those things off ASAP and you'll be able to come back with another Mustang one day and even more mods!

Good luck!

Shane
Old 9/29/13, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ImpatientS197
How much do you owe on it? Sell it and get debt free so you can buy one later and really enjoy it.
$25,100 -- Bought it 8 months ago for $27,200 with 6,000 miles

I'm not really concerned with making money from it, but with how our taxes on ad valorem have changed in Georgia, even with private party sales you have to pay 7% tax to the tag office. Put some money with it and financed $26,500 @ 3.3%... In any case, a $445 car payment, plus insurance and gas adds up... I love the car, but I'm sure there are cars out there for at or less than $15k that I could find...

It isn't that I can't afford it, but it makes it hard to try and pay things off when a good portion of my check goes to my car. I'm an RN in ICU, but still, it's tough like Shane said with student loan payments about to come in...

With something in that price range, to be fun to drive and relatively fuel efficient there aren't a lot of choices...

Maybe Accord V6-6, Maybe GTI or GLI, Not really sure... My previous car was an Accord coupe 2.4, but even with the 2.4 it averaged 23-25 MPG... The Mustang gets 19-22 with almost 2.5 times the power...

*Insert emoticon committing suicide here*
Old 9/29/13, 03:52 PM
GT Member

I don't really understand why the value of the 2011-2012 GT is so off from what dealers around here are asking for 2007-2009...

There are numerous GT's around here with 25-45k miles going for $18-21k

*Shrugs*
Old 9/30/13, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't really understand why the value of the 2011-2012 GT is so off from what dealers around here are asking for 2007-2009... There are numerous GT's around here with 25-45k miles going for $18-21k *Shrugs*
Dustin... I understand your situation, but what puzzles me about yours and other folks I see is, none of this should have come as a surprise right? Meaning, why wasn't planning or foresight done before hand, before you even attempted to buy the car knowing you would have that much car payment, loans, taxes, whatever you have...

I know you're in the situation you are in now, and it is what it is... But I'm saying it could have been avoided with simple planning: if you can't live comfortably, don't buy it.

Now as far as advice, sell it outright. You will recoup more than you will at trade.
Old 9/30/13, 08:27 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Dustin... I understand your situation, but what puzzles me about yours and other folks I see is, none of this should have come as a surprise right? Meaning, why wasn't planning or foresight done before hand, before you even attempted to buy the car knowing you would have that much car payment, loans, taxes, whatever you have... I know you're in the situation you are in now, and it is what it is... But I'm saying it could have been avoided with simple planning: if you can't live comfortably, don't buy it. Now as far as advice, sell it outright. You will recoup more than you will at trade.
Yes, and you do have a valid point, and it isn't that I can't live comfortably, because it isn't breaking me. Another thing, also, I'm making about $16-18 more an hour now than I was before I graduated and maybe I'm just in the mindset of from before I graduated living paycheck to paycheck.

If I do decide to get rid of it I will sell outright