2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

500 Miles on 5.0 - Clutch/Tranny Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/10, 09:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500 Miles on 5.0 - Clutch/Tranny Problems?

When I picked up my 5.0 two weeks ago, I was in awe of how easy the stick was to drive... In particular, how smooth starts in 1st from stop were. I'm at 500 miles now and noticed a couple of things that I was wondering if anyone else is seeing:

1. Starts from stop in 1st aren't smooth any more... There appears to be a little bit of a buck or pause once the pedal is out all the way and an occasional grind from 1-2 when cold. I can accept the grinding when the fluid is cold but what's with the buck?

2. When accelerating (even lightly, like in a parking lot) when you depress the clutch (take the load off the motor) I'm hearing a rattly clunk or clang emanating from under the car.

Anything to be concerned with or am I paranoid because it's new? Thanks!
Old 9/25/10, 07:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
When I picked up my 5.0 two weeks ago, I was in awe of how easy the stick was to drive... In particular, how smooth starts in 1st from stop were. I'm at 500 miles now and noticed a couple of things that I was wondering if anyone else is seeing:

1. Starts from stop in 1st aren't smooth any more... There appears to be a little bit of a buck or pause once the pedal is out all the way and an occasional grind from 1-2 when cold. I can accept the grinding when the fluid is cold but what's with the buck?

2. When accelerating (even lightly, like in a parking lot) when you depress the clutch (take the load off the motor) I'm hearing a rattly clunk or clang emanating from under the car.

Anything to be concerned with or am I paranoid because it's new? Thanks!
The clunk is normal, especially at parking lot speeds. Nothing to worry about there, they (mostly) all do it.

I've not had smooth launch since day one myself - the car seems prone to stalling just at that point where the clutch is juuust about fully released. It's like there's this little instantaneous flat spot in the engine and if you're at that point of clutch release and arent going with more rev/clutch slip, it just wants to stall. Again this is at slow speed, and doesn't happen often since I now know to slip the clutch more). I am saving this one for when I take it to the dealer next time for something else (seatbelt not releasing, brake dust shield grinding noise from the rear, foam weatherstrip coming detatched from the soft top, seat seeming to generate heat on its own... - looks like I am building up a decent list).

Last edited by Double-EDad; 9/25/10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 9/25/10, 07:56 AM
V6 Member

Ditto on the flat spot. Need to slip a bit in the middle to get a smooth launch.
Wife nags about how she shouldn't feel the gear changes. I tell her it's the car but I dn't get any sympathy. LOL.

Cheers.