Old 7/9/10, 02:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put my right arm there just fine.
Old 7/9/10, 02:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by starbai
I just realized these cars dont have a center arm rest.

Hmmmmmmm......then what the hell have I been resting my right arm on??? I'd better go out and check
Old 7/9/10, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Take a pic too... I'm trying to see it in various pics but all i see is a hard center console.. not a padded rest.

This isn't a big huge deal... just an observation.
Old 7/9/10, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

well if its a manual its not that big of a deal at all and if its too low ill just switch hands on long drives and steer with the right and put my left out the window
Old 7/9/10, 03:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by kierankelly
I put my right arm there just fine.
yep, that hard center console works just fine as an arm rest
Old 7/9/10, 03:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 20115.0
well if its a manual its not that big of a deal at all and if its too low ill just switch hands on long drives and steer with the right and put my left out the window
The whole entire center console is the arm rest. Really - it works great! The major flaw in it is that the cup holders are perfectly in-line with the shifter, causing me to really shrink my morning cup of coffee, LOL... (just nit-picking)

The C6 Corvette's design is better in that the cup holder is NEXT TO the shifter, pretty much out of the way.
Old 7/9/10, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
The whole entire center console is the arm rest. Really - it works great! The major flaw in it is that the cup holders are perfectly in-line with the shifter, causing me to really shrink my morning cup of coffee, LOL... (just nit-picking)

The C6 Corvette's design is better in that the cup holder is NEXT TO the shifter, pretty much out of the way.
has to be better than my old 95.. cup holder was on a sliding bracket that slid into a slot in the center console. when shifting into 2nd or 4th my elbow would smash into it.. cant tell you how many cups of coffee got ruined/ i got burned on..
Old 7/9/10, 03:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

This is the second former-BMW owner complaint (that I’ve seen) about the lack of tightness/firmness of the GT suspension. With all due respect (and I mean ALL due respect), may I remind everyone that the BMW coupe that sports a DOHC V-8 and just over 400 HP (414 I think?) is the M3, which costs about 2X what a GT 5.0 coupe costs.

Comparing to a 335i? That E92 is about 1.5x the cost of a GT coupe, and gives up about 100 hp to the 5.0! So with all that money saved there’s probably room to replace a few springs and struts to custom tailor the Mustang’s suspension to each individual’s taste.

As a former 540i (E39) owner, I don’t feel much difference between it and the GT, but the 540i was bigger & didn’t handle like a 3.
I agree. I purchased a 2010 3-Series about four months ago, so I've got a good feel as to how it rides and handles (I've never driven an M3, so I don't know how those compare). The 2011 Mustang I test drove several weeks ago felt almost identical to my Beemer in terms of handling and ride quality prowess. My BMW has the "Sport" suspension, which is a bit firmer than the "regular" suspension; the Mustang, again, felt every bit as composed. The one thing that helps my 3-Series is the fact that it, literally, sits about 1/2" off the ground (I've already got some road rash on the front fascia thanks to my girlfriend ). Drop the Mustang about 1.5", too, and it's on a completely 'nother level in terms of handling, much like my 2007 GT with Steeda Sports, Koni dampers, etc.
Old 7/10/10, 03:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting take. First off, not to start a war, but why didn't you stick with BMW? It would seem thew new M3 would have satisfied all your needs plus given you free maintenance?

I just got back from our local BMW dealer (Bridgeport BMW), and to be honest, while the 335's they had in the show room were very nice, I didn't feel the interior, fit and finish, etc was any higher than the new Honda Accord coupe that a coworker just bought. Was it nicer than even then 401A package in the mustang, sure, but not by a huge margin. I actually think it was right on par with the new SHO i looked at right after (Ford Dealer is right across the street). What I didn't like, was the attitude I got in the BMW dealership (perhaps this is why you bid them adieu yourself). I am cross shopping the mustang with the 335is. However, once I mentioned i would be doing European delivery if i chose the bimmer, I lost all interest from the salesman. I guess they lose out on the commission, but that's just a guess. I had to basically fight to keep him around to answer my other questions, and at one point he actually started to get rude. Essentially, when i told him I was cross shopping with the Mustang, he asked what i drove now, and then basically took the attitude of, look no matter what you buy here it will be an upgrade for someone like you. He then laid into me when i asked about possibly getting an Xi for the all wheel drive, about how a "real driver" can drive a RWD car in any conditions, and how the superior traction control system in the BMW would be more than I would need to keep the car on the road. I protested a bit, and then got another wave of holier than thou rhetoric. I decided it would be best if I just walked out.

I don't know if that's normal, or if i just happened to get a guy who had had a rough day, but it was quite a turn off. I know they make an excellent product over there, I'm just not sure it justifies the treatment.
Old 7/10/10, 04:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
I don't know if that's normal, or if i just happened to get a guy who had had a rough day, but it was quite a turn off. I know they make an excellent product over there, I'm just not sure it justifies the treatment.
There's a reason they say BMW drivers are c***s, and apparently it starts at the dealer! (no offense to the BMW drivers in this thread, I'm sure y'all are nice guys)
Old 7/10/10, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
There's a reason they say BMW drivers are c***s, and apparently it starts at the dealer! (no offense to the BMW drivers in this thread, I'm sure y'all are nice guys)
Of course they are! 'Cause now they're Mustang drivers! Haha
Old 7/10/10, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just add something like Steeda Sports and Koni yellows and the whole story changes.
Old 7/10/10, 05:32 PM

Drinks?, Sodas?, Coffee? What's next....food? Oh hell no, not in my car! LOL I don't even let bottled water in my cars. I always thought the cup holders were for coins and the cell phone. Can't even imagine why the wife says I'm ****. Back to topic...I would love to have a new one. Our dealership has a '11 GT500 that I drool over everyday.
Old 7/10/10, 10:11 PM

And yet, another BMW owner thinking of joining ranks with the Mustang crowd.. Mines a '99 E36 supercharged and intercooled M3. Today, I had my first test drive in a GT Premium with white paint and 19" polished alloy rims.

Impressions:

Interior: its one major deficit.. It just doesnt 'encave' you the way euro interiors do. Seats felt nice, but oh, that dash...

Exterior: really good looking car. But I wish they could match the 'white' on the plastic bumper covers with the white on the sheet metal.. The bumpers looked cream by comparison.. That aside, I think its hot looking.

Driving impressions: TIGHT! There was some quirkiness I felt on our 20 mile test drive.. At speed, over bumps, the car felt a little 'floaty'. I dont know if its a symptom of the solid rear axle or not, but it was strange.. It tracked true, and felt good, though.. The shifter was OUT OF THIS WORLD... On my M i have a valued Stygar short shift kit, and even so, this Mustang shifter is the best Ive ever seen on any 3 series, aftermarket or otherwise. The **** was stubby, the throws were short and 'right now', and the touch was nicely mechanical.. it was just how Ive always wanted a shift to be... Really spectacular. The power delivery I found a little strange.. I mean, 412+ hp and 390 ft lbs, and yet, the delivery of the power was quite without fanfare. Smooth and fast, no doubt, but with no drama. I think maybe you get spoiled driving an M with forced induction, but the power delivery wasnt at all 'right now' as it is with most FI Ms ive driven. No real kick in the back sensation. Perhaps that can be explained by the extra 300 lbs the car is weighing, combined with the fact that there were 3 of us in the test vehicle. Im thinking exit the salesman and my friend, and it might have felt a little more immediate... Also, im a little afraid of the mpg Ill achieve driving it the way I want.. I currently avg about 14 mpg city, and 22 hwy, and usually see about 15 to 16 mpg overall at fill up time, as most of my driving is around town these days, which is one of the reasons i want to sell my M.. gas mileage.. But from what I can discern, the mustang isnt the car to look for much improvement with Im also shopping bmw 135i which also delivers sub 5 second sprints to 60, but delivers really good mpg (20/28: 23 overall) .. Its about 3 grand more than the Mustang equipped as I want, but I have a feeling its going to be between these two...

Amazing isnt it that there are so many cross bmw/mustang shoppers?!! Its a testament to what ford has accomplished with this latest iteration of a classic. I think what ford has done for about 35 grand is just incredible; nothing else plays in this league..
Old 7/11/10, 01:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Nice write-up. We all bring our own biases, I guess.

I'd never look twice at a BMW (aside for a nice 2002 tii) and find the design priorities of modern flabby Euro mobiles to be exactly all of the stuff that I don't want to pay for. Just my opinion. The design priorities of the Mustang (i.e. engine over interior) are A-OK with me but I can see how it might upset some people with delicate butts.

The suspension will certainly garner some attention if the description above holds true. I found the base model to wallow a bit (but still vastly better than my '09)... and I assume the Brembo models will only be better... so I'll have to see for myself.
Quoted for truth. This is pretty much why I have a Deluxe (base model) GT. I love the look of the car and wanted the engine (obviously the improved fit, finish and basic quality over the SN95 platform didn't hurt either though).
Old 7/11/10, 02:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by paul e
Amazing isnt it that there are so many cross bmw/mustang shoppers?!! Its a testament to what ford has accomplished with this latest iteration of a classic. I think what ford has done for about 35 grand is just incredible; nothing else plays in this league..
This
Old 7/11/10, 03:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in Germany and BMWs are very common here. I live in the town of Hockenheim and I run those jokers out of town every so often (mostly on a couple of roads nearby just for fun). It's fun to see their faces when a mustang can out perform, out brake, and out handle them. So I let them be how they are and remain very friendly. It means nothing to me. I already know I am faster......2003 Kenny Bell supercharged cobra, 607 HP at the rear wheels, built independant rear suspension. I will post a video shortly.

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn255/fastlaneray/ - View my albums

Last edited by eurocobra; 7/11/10 at 03:57 AM.
Old 7/12/10, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Haha, we just bought an 08 335i a few months ago and I still think that most BMW owners are c***s.

I can't say anything bad about my sales guy though, he was the sh**. I would buy my Mustang through him if he didn't work at a BMW dealer.

We did get the bumper hit in our 335i while we were in the grocery store. So for a loaner my wife got a 2011 328i with the Sports Suspension and amazingly she didn't like how much higher the car sits compared to her 335i. It's true though, the newest BMW models now ride about and inch or so higher even with the sports package. I think it's to accommodate for grumpy Cadillac inspired American drivers on the incredibly terrible U.S. road ways.

I know the regular GT is certainly a lot more float than the stiffer Brembo package but the car is still composed while comfortable. The target audience for the Mustang is not the same as the BMW, but they are trying. The Brembo cars felt much closer to the feel of the BMW, but I never really found it so sink back like the OP noted. The car is cantered much differently than any BMW and thus when thrust upon will seem much more like a dipping but never did I think "oh god this rear end sag has got to go!"

That said I think I've got my point across. There are always suspension mods. Otherwise, I like the American way of car feel, I am used to it, I don't assume certain things. It's just not the Euro standard and probably won't ever be. Once someone gets used to this you get a feel for the car, as much as I love BMW's and the precision, I will admit it still feels near mechanical. German, haha.
Old 7/13/10, 11:48 PM
GT Member

Just to make things clear.. I'm not giving up on one, and going to the other. There is room for both in the stable. They might look away from each other, but they will both get play.

Both cars are fun in their own ways and can offer things the other can't.

So far, the intoxicating thing about the Mustang over the linear supercharged BMW is the grunt from low up, as apposed to highend on my bimmer being all up top. This Mustang screems a lot earlier and the exhaust and rumble is worth at least $15,000 of the price paid. It's amazing. I have yet to spend much time with the nav and sync because I want to drive with the windows open and just make songs at different RPM's and loads.
Old 7/14/10, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by brycerichert
Overall, great car. I can't believe this is a product of America. I'll have videos and pics up later on... unfortunately the thing has to sit in the garage all weekend while we go camping.

//

Hood closing is week... holding it up and dropping it from a foot or two will not close it. you'll have to press down on the top of the hood... HARD. Too bad they couldn't put some type of emblem there to save on the paint job.

//
That's not typical of the ones I've experienced. The hood latch (and hood bumpers, too, I think) is adjustable... just ask your dealer to adjust it the next time you're in (if you're not comfortable doing it yourself).

Quick Reply: 5.0 received today - initial take on it