Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Should the 360 HP Twin Tubo V6 be in the Mustang?
Absolutely sounds like a great engine
54.41%
No way - a V6 should never have more HP than a V8 in a Stang.
27.94%
Who cares, whatever Ford thinks is best for the Stang
8.82%
"Sweet engine, but not for the Stang"
8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

360 HP V6 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/06, 08:21 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
360 HP V6 Mustang?

Ford is reportedly working on a Twin Turbocharged, Direct Injected version of the Duratec 35. Prototypes are supposedly already on the road. Reported power is 360 HP & 310 lb ft.

So that raises the question, assuming Ford puts that V6 into production (supposedly it will be used in the F150 and new Lincoln models):

"Should the 360 HP TT V6 be available in the Mustang?"
Old 9/3/06, 08:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The Mustang has room for the V8. It would be cheaper to mod that to 360 HP.
The twin turbo is for other cars.
Ford needs to save money.
Old 9/3/06, 09:12 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice numbers for a 3.5L V6...
but at what weight? Cost? and power potential?

No replacement for displacemnt + 8 cylinders
For sound, power, and modability/configurability
I respect the numbers though.
Old 9/3/06, 10:14 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there should be another option in the poll:

"Sweet engine, but not for the stang"

The 3.5 duratec can do 265HP N/A, that would be perfect for the redesign. The GT should get a power boost too, but not too much, 320 or 330HP would be cool.
Old 9/3/06, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Abso-freaken-lutely!!! After all its not about the powerplant its about the car! If Ford can turn things up a notch and build a motor thats fast, strong, efficient, and not too heavy I say go for it!!
Old 9/4/06, 12:04 PM
I Have No Life

Ok..if thats the case then... would you say scrap the v8 altogether and go with a Turbo'd 4 265/240 for the base and a Turbo'd V6 for the GT?

No offense to the engines or anything...but **** that.
Part of the mustang aura is the v8 in the GT+
And the TORQUE that goes with it
Old 9/4/06, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta agree with Boomer on this one. A 360hp V-6 is nice and all but, I gotta have a V-8.
Old 9/4/06, 07:55 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by karman
The Mustang has room for the V8. It would be cheaper to mod that to 360 HP.
The twin turbo is for other cars.
Ford needs to save money.
Ford is developing the twin turbo V6 for other vehicles, so there is little extra cost for Ford to put it in the Mustang. Manufacturing cost is probably lower than a V8

The question is whether Ford should put it in the Mustang, not if it should replace V8s. Although I'm a V8 guy, I think Ford should put the V6 TT in the Mustang (as long as it doesn't take away from V8 models).

A high performance V6 will broaden the Mustang's appeal and provide a high performance model with very good fuel economy. The D35 TT would be ligher and more compact than a Mod Motor V8. 90% of Mustang owners do not mod their engines, so inability to mod is not a big deal.
Old 9/4/06, 08:15 PM
GT Member

I'd like to see the TT V6 in the Linc/Merc versions of the Mustang (if they are actually in the works) with IRS, 6-spd, and a semi-auto option.
Old 9/4/06, 09:15 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i'm down for it...as long as the V8 as more then 360hp.
Old 9/4/06, 10:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
Ok..if thats the case then... would you say scrap the v8 altogether and go with a Turbo'd 4 265/240 for the base and a Turbo'd V6 for the GT?

No offense to the engines or anything...but **** that.
Part of the mustang aura is the v8 in the GT+
And the TORQUE that goes with it
Boomer... you afraid that a V-6 powerplant might over-shadow your beloved V-8?

Somehow dude I don't think you have much to worry about! I'm betting that the V-8 powerplant will always be the premier powerplant for the Mustang. If, on the other hand, Ford is successful in their development of this V-6 it would make great economic sense for them to use it to replace the existing V-6 powerplant which has been around for a long, long time.
Old 9/4/06, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bobdobolina
I'd like to see the TT V6 in the Linc/Merc versions of the Mustang (if they are actually in the works) with IRS, 6-spd, and a semi-auto option.
ditto!
Old 9/4/06, 11:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

sure, just as long as they don't scratch the V8 as an engine option! Better yet... have a TT V8 option as well
Old 9/5/06, 08:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds like an excellent Idea. The typical Linc/Merc customer is more concerned with the power and less concerned with how it's made. And more MPG is always a good thing.
Old 9/5/06, 09:03 AM
I Have No Life

No its not so much the overshadowing...

If I want maximum power... that engine would be cool,
however, I want that power + noise and aura.
Hard to describe.

Driving a Turbo'd 6 or even a really fast 4 banger,
I'd rather drive an 8.
The feeling, the noise, the power, the torque...its all part of the experience.

Not saying 6s can't sound good, or powerful, because I know they can.
But having come from a 6 to an 8... its just such a cool feeling/experience.
Old 9/5/06, 09:33 AM
Cobra Member

I say produce it and put it in the "higher tech" Ford offerings like the Volvo, Jag, Lincoln, etc. where the competion is tough and the consumer is looking for that kind of powerplant - but don't ditch the V8 in the Mustang - that's the "essence" of this car! Could offer it in the Mustang as an SE model
Old 9/5/06, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, great idea... the rumored Lincoln coupe based on the Mustang would be great with this engine. It would be a great way to differentiate it from the Mustang.

However, a TT V6 engine option in the Mustang would certainly be nice as well, and would help with the Mustang's image with those people who think V8's are "low tech"...
Old 9/5/06, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Having both the v8 and the TT would allow the mustang to compete in several different categories and possibly steal market share from imports. Import guys are just like us. They are betrothed to their cars and love them like we love ours; however, the TT mustang would allow them much of what they love wrapped in a mustang package. The burst of power and torque at 3000, the BOV pop, the spooling sound of the turbo, the feeling of being sucked into your seat as the boost comes on. Having had a Supra TT, a 3000 GT VR4, sitting in my garage next to my mustangs I am tired to both genre.
There are good and bad sides to both coins, but I think this would be a great addition to the mustang.

Why not expand the mustang lineup and get some of that marketshare??
Old 9/5/06, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

A lincoln version of the new edge platform with a TT V6 would be hot, as would a limited edition TT V6 Mustang.

Could be like a Silver Bullet, only available in one color, one engine choice, one interior color package (being same as standard black leather premium package).

Maybe CS exterior styling group, 18" wheels, ducktail etc
Old 9/5/06, 04:05 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
Having both the v8 and the TT would allow the mustang to compete in several different categories and possibly steal market share from imports. Import guys are just like us. They are betrothed to their cars and love them like we love ours; however, the TT mustang would allow them much of what they love wrapped in a mustang package. The burst of power and torque at 3000, the BOV pop, the spooling sound of the turbo, the feeling of being sucked into your seat as the boost comes on. Having had a Supra TT, a 3000 GT VR4, sitting in my garage next to my mustangs I am tired to both genre.
There are good and bad sides to both coins, but I think this would be a great addition to the mustang.

Why not expand the mustang lineup and get some of that marketshare??
Thank you, that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

I'd say there is little chance a V6 of any type would replace a V8 as the top engine in the Mustang. But there is a market for a high performance V6 Mustang too and would make the Mustang an even stronger competitor to the imports.

There are rumors that the normally aspriated 3.5L Duratec ( 265 HP / 240 lb ft.) will replace the 4.0L Cologne V6. Ford has already pushed up the timetable for adding D35 production at a 2nd engine plant, so it's clear Ford will be using the new D35 in more vehicles. If the V6 Mustang is going to switch over to the D35 N/A engine, then to me it makes sense to offer the 360 HP TT version in the Mustang too.

Quick Reply: 360 HP V6 Mustang?