2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

$2300 repair on my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/13 | 07:56 PM
GT Member

I'm pretty sure that the people giving you a hard time here would be just as pissed if their AC went out that early. I know that i'd be far from happy.

Since it's not under warranty and not really a "have to get it fixed by Ford" kind of repair, you might want to shop around for a better deal. Plenty of shops that specialize in A/C repair. You may even get a better warranty from a specialty shop on the repair than the standard 1 year from Ford.
Old 6/4/13 | 08:07 PM

My ac compressor cost me 450 the clutch went out on it install was 250 so maybe get a different shop ?
Old 6/4/13 | 08:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If the A/C compressor sent metal shavings throughout the system and all he has replaced is the compressor to "get a good deal somewhere else and not deal with a stealership", he'll be very upset when a short time later the A/C craps out again and the place can't warranty the compressor because it's not a compressor failure, it's something else that killed it, namely the debris that should've been flushed out the first time.

Dealerships charge more to do certain jobs, but at the same time they also have the know-how, the right OEM parts, and the tools to fix certain problems the right way the first time

I was a Ford Service Advisor for over 9 years at a busy Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership, and I was the top Advisor there for the last 3-4 years.
I no longer work there simply cuz I got burnt out.
I ordered me a new Mustang, picked it up on a Saturday, quit my job the following Monday, about 9-10 months ago now.

But I certainly still remember a lot about the job ...

Book time used to pay 1.4 hrs to do evac/recharge of the A/C system, diag time was added-in, labor to replace the parts needed, labor to flush the system, replacing contaminated parts, it all adds up.
Old 6/4/13 | 09:33 PM

Mine was simply a broke clutch I have no worries that's what it was but 1000 in other expenses is just ridiculous
Old 6/4/13 | 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
If the A/C compressor sent metal shavings throughout the system and all he has replaced is the compressor to "get a good deal somewhere else and not deal with a stealership", he'll be very upset when a short time later the A/C craps out again and the place can't warranty the compressor because it's not a compressor failure, it's something else that killed it, namely the debris that should've been flushed out the first time.

Dealerships charge more to do certain jobs, but at the same time they also have the know-how, the right OEM parts, and the tools to fix certain problems the right way the first time

I was a Ford Service Advisor for over 9 years at a busy Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership, and I was the top Advisor there for the last 3-4 years.
I no longer work there simply cuz I got burnt out.
I ordered me a new Mustang, picked it up on a Saturday, quit my job the following Monday, about 9-10 months ago now.

But I certainly still remember a lot about the job ...

Book time used to pay 1.4 hrs to do evac/recharge of the A/C system, diag time was added-in, labor to replace the parts needed, labor to flush the system, replacing contaminated parts, it all adds up.
Gabe for the Win!... Man, 9 years?!... I don't think I have 4 more left in me!... Job is like smoking... Everyday takes another 7 minutes off your life!
Old 6/4/13 | 10:16 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Eric, that sucks, and I hope you get a good repair at a fair price. I, too, own a 2011 GT. And I, too, live in the desert (Nevada). So I feel your need for this to be fixed ASAP. On my previous G35, and my wife's current A4, I had expensive repairs needed just after the warranty expired, with pretty low mileage. In both cases I contacted the North American Customer Service division (Infiniti and Audi respectively). In both cases the corporate office made a concession for me...either 1/2 price or $0 free. All it took was a polite phone call. You may want to give it a try with FoMoCo...
Old 6/4/13 | 10:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Gabe for the Win!... Man, 9 years?!... I don't think I have 4 more left in me!... Job is like smoking... Everyday takes another 7 minutes off your life!
Lol ... .yeah it's not a great job, but it was an easy job for me to do, I had no problems calling people and telling them what's wrong with their car and "it's gonna be right about $xxx to fix it" ... not my car ... took me a long time to take "me" out of it but it helped make me better at the job.

I quit cuz the place I was working at kept adding things for us to do while taking away other help and lowering commissions. Last couple of years the pay kept getting lower while the responsibilities and the stress levels kept going higher.
Had to quit.
Old 6/4/13 | 10:28 PM
Cobra Member

Guys thanks for the support and will wishes. Is certainly not great, but it should be done Wednesday or Thursday. C'est la vie.
Old 6/4/13 | 10:40 PM
Post *****

On an older car I went to a local shop and said the A/C needs fixing. He said the compressor needed to be replaced for $4-500. Had it done trusting his advice even though it was a lot for an older car. I was a repeat customer for years to his radiator shop and even his driveline shop.

The next year the A/C system was pushing warm air. Took it back and he said the coolant leaked. (I was told a 'safety' in the compressor keeps it from engaging without coolant.) I told him I just had him fix it a year ago!! He claimed ignorance because the rest of the system leaked the coolant.

Perhaps the failed compressor did what Gabe said, and this dimwit was either an idiot, or was worried he wouldn't get any business if the 'fix' was too high. Either way he wasted my money and failed to advise/solve the problem completely. Perfect example of a moron claiming to be a 'professional'.

Guess who's shop I still badmouth all over town 10 yrs later? Radiator King/Driveline Svc Klamath Falls OR.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/4/13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 6/4/13 | 10:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Eric, sorry that I came across as an @$$hole. That wasn't my intent, but re-reading my reply I can sure see that my tone wasn't empathetic in the least. I don't like to see anything fail in our cars, and am sorry that your Pony is in the shop.
Old 6/4/13 | 11:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Eric, sorry that I came across as an @$$hole. That wasn't my intent, but re-reading my reply I can sure see that my tone wasn't empathetic in the least. I don't like to see anything fail in our cars, and am sorry that your Pony is in the shop.
very few people on this forum admit when they are wrong. I for one appreciate when someone can be humble enough to do so. Seems like there has been a lot more asshats lately. to you Brian
Old 6/5/13 | 05:49 AM
Cobra Member

Hope the fix works out for you.

On a side note, why is it that a Ford dealership becomes a "stealership" because the quote a higher price? While I do as much of my own work as possible, there are times that I need the help of a qualified servive department. Since I prefer OEM quality parts, a Ford dealership is my first choice for this. I may pay a bit more, but I have the knowing that my Mustang is getting a part that was designed to fit correctly, and repaired right with a warranty to back up the work.
Overhead, saleries, etc all raise the cost of operating a business these days.
Old 6/5/13 | 06:08 AM
GTR Member

Eric, sorry to hear about your problem, but it sounds like you have full faith in your dealer to resolve this, even if it's expensive.

It might be worth a PM to Deysha (Ford Customer Services) on here, as she will advise if there's any other options.

Oh, and Five Oh Brian is a stand-up guy on here, so I'm sure he means it when he says he didn't realise the tone of his reply.

I hope you get it fixed soon
Old 6/5/13 | 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Ouch sorry
Old 6/5/13 | 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

just use the free 250 ac that all cars come with... 2 windows down @ 50 mph... hope it gets fixed and blows cold!!
Old 6/5/13 | 07:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Originally Posted by eric n
So this week end the AC on my beast goes out. Of course it's the first 100+ degree day of the summer here in "Lovely" Bakersfield. The verdict the AC compressor is toast. Everything must go Compressor is $500+, Labor is $800+ ancillary stuff is another almost $1000.

It just doesn't seem like a 2011 with 40k miles should be having a problem like this. This beast had best remain stress free for a while or this little pony might have to find another home. I've never had a car this new with a repair of this financial magnitude. FRUSTRATING.
Originally Posted by Gabe
Call the service manager and ask if there's any way to get after-warranty assistance, at least with the parts.
They call it internally "P18" warranty, and each dealership is given a certain amount of money they can assist customers with.
Usually they use that money for customers that bought the car there, do all the maintenance and other servicing there ...
Hello eric n,

I agree with Gave. You should speak to your Service Manager as he is in the best position to look into this for you. He can check into any assistance, Recalls, or Customer Satisfaction Programs that may apply to your vehicle. Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Eric, sorry to hear about your problem, but it sounds like you have full faith in your dealer to resolve this, even if it's expensive.

It might be worth a PM to Deysha (Ford Customer Services) on here, as she will advise if there's any other options.
Oh, and Five Oh Brian is a stand-up guy on here, so I'm sure he means it when he says he didn't realise the tone of his reply.
Thanks for the support, Twin Turbo!

Deysha
Old 6/5/13 | 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Class act! Thanks, it's all good.
Old 6/5/13 | 12:04 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Bucko
Hope the fix works out for you.

On a side note, why is it that a Ford dealership becomes a "stealership" because the quote a higher price? While I do as much of my own work as possible, there are times that I need the help of a qualified servive department. Since I prefer OEM quality parts, a Ford dealership is my first choice for this. I may pay a bit more, but I have the knowing that my Mustang is getting a part that was designed to fit correctly, and repaired right with a warranty to back up the work.
Overhead, saleries, etc all raise the cost of operating a business these days.
Good points. I think the difference is, outside shops can do the same work and use genuine OEM parts, for significantly less, with the same warranty.

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

Agree.
Old 6/5/13 | 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ouch Eric, I know that hurts. I completely understand what your saying about your dealer. I have been buying from the same dealer for over 20 years, and they have always bent over backwards to make sure I'm happy with their work. I've never had a problem with their repairs, but they tell me everytime that if I do come right back in so they can make it right. I know it cost a bit more for some repairs, but that comfort level makes it easier for me to rationalize the extra bucks. Good luck, it's gonna be hot out there.
Old 6/6/13 | 03:36 AM
Bullitt Member

OUCH! Sorry to hear that. 46k on my 2011 and no issues....so far. On a side note, I hardly use my A/C. I LOVE hearing my Borla's!!!! I use the A/C mostly when the wife and kids are in the car. My stang has been a Joy to drive but if issues start popping up I will sell and upgrade! Honestly I like to keep my cars for a long time so (knock on wood) I sure hope nothing happens. Good luck.

Quick Reply: $2300 repair on my 2011