2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2014 GT Manual Launch

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/14, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT Manual Launch

So this is my first manual transmission vehicle and I was wondering for 0-60 and 1/4 mile launches whats the best rmp to rev to?

Also any tips or tricks on shifting etc...

Completely stock btw
Old 4/29/14, 12:35 PM

It all depends on the tires, with stock tires try launching at about 2k rpms and the second the weight of the car completely transfers back, floor it. Watch some videos on power shifting, technically if your drag racing this is what you should be doing, i dont powershift because my nitto invo tires break lose and burn all the way through second gear if i do. Although i can shift pretty darn fast without power shifting. Takes practice!!! With the little screen in my dash i run 4.6 second 0-60 consistently, with 3.31 gears too.
Old 4/30/14, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gruiz_06
So this is my first manual transmission vehicle and I was wondering for 0-60 and 1/4 mile launches whats the best rmp to rev to?

Also any tips or tricks on shifting etc...

Completely stock btw
I could tell you some things that may sound like Japanese but I will try.

On street tires, 2500rpm and don't just kick the clutch out, side step it for the first 60' and once you feel it "bite" start ripping it.

You can read ALL you want but launching a stick shift car is a art that requires practice and seat time. Go out, have fun and in just a season you'll see a difference.

Originally Posted by coyotekiller
It all depends on the tires, with stock tires try launching at about 2k rpms and the second the weight of the car completely transfers back, floor it. Watch some videos on power shifting, technically if your drag racing this is what you should be doing, i dont powershift because my nitto invo tires break lose and burn all the way through second gear if i do. Although i can shift pretty darn fast without power shifting. Takes practice!!! With the little screen in my dash i run 4.6 second 0-60 consistently, with 3.31 gears too.
I am, in my own words a GREAT stick shift driver and let me tell you this is poor information for the MT-82. I launch my car at 5500 and flat shift it on a slick and let me tell you, 3 MT-82's later the trans HATES flat shifting. I have since taken it easy on the new trans and so far it's treating me well.
Old 4/30/14, 06:27 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by slostang
I could tell you some things that may sound like Japanese but I will try.

On street tires, 2500rpm and don't just kick the clutch out, side step it for the first 60' and once you feel it "bite" start ripping it.

I am, in my own words a GREAT stick shift driver and let me tell you this is poor information for the MT-82. I launch my car at 5500 and flat shift it on a slick and let me tell you, 3 MT-82's later the trans HATES flat shifting. I have since taken it easy on the new trans and so far it's treating me well.
What do you mean by "flat" shifting? Are you referring to no throttle lift, or keeping the gas pedal "flat", or something else?

Also I'm curious which parts of the MT-82 failed on your car. I'm not surprised they did if you're launching at 5500 on slicks, particularly with no up-lift shifting. That's a lot of stress!
Old 4/30/14, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
What do you mean by "flat" shifting? Are you referring to no throttle lift, or keeping the gas pedal "flat", or something else?

Also I'm curious which parts of the MT-82 failed on your car. I'm not surprised they did if you're launching at 5500 on slicks, particularly with no up-lift shifting. That's a lot of stress!
Once 3rd gear broke and took the main shaft out, the other 2 it lost syncros....but yes, pedal to the floor and banging gears.
Old 4/30/14, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I know and understand that its all about practice and it being an art, so like u said its going to just take a little time. No when u say side step it does that to not left off completely the clutch till im really getting power down to the wheels?

Also on another note what the best/easiest way to heat up the tires. I ve tried a few times and I havent quite gotten it down.
Old 4/30/14, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
I know and understand that its all about practice and it being an art, so like u said its going to just take a little time. No when u say side step it does that to not left off completely the clutch till im really getting power down to the wheels?

Also on another note what the best/easiest way to heat up the tires. I ve tried a few times and I havent quite gotten it down.
Yea, you ride the clutch out a little. And I put the car in first, clutch all the way in, rev the car to 1500 pop the clutch and use my clutch foot and jump right over to the brake pedal and keep it around 1500-2000rpm till the tires smoke then I ride the clutch out and pull to the line.

This is a buddy of mine, stick shift car that out 60's a auto. If you listen you can hear him ride the clutch out.

Last edited by slostang; 4/30/14 at 06:59 AM.
Old 4/30/14, 07:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my car was stock I used to rev to 6k and slip the clutch out to get my best times.
Of course you're going to pay for abusing your clutch, but hey pay to play!
Old 4/30/14, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow, that turbo vette is SICK! And the blue flame coming out the tail pipe is pure awesomeness

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/30/14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 4/30/14, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Wow, that turbo vette is SICK! And the blue flame coming out the tail pipe is pure awesomeness
Tiny, tiny vortech. And the blue flames are a huge thanks to the meth.
Old 4/30/14, 07:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
One thing to be aware of...launching on the street is totally different from launching at a prepped drag strip. I could launch my 03 (with IRS swap) on the street like nobody's business, but when I went to the strip, I did the exact same technique - that resulted in a ton of wheel hop and spinning through 2nd and terrible times. I had to change my launch rpm and really slip the clutch off the line to get away clean.
Old 4/30/14, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

A very seasoned drag racer once told me for the strip; do your burnout in second; rev to 2500-3,000 ish... Pop the clutch and hard on the brake immediately.... Feather the throttle a little and the tires should be smoking . I still do that on the street but sometimes it will bog down and stall; On a track with a water box, those tires just spun!!! That's more if a proper burnout... Not a launch sorry!!!
Old 4/30/14, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
A very seasoned drag racer once told me for the strip; do your burnout in second; rev to 2500-3,000 ish... Pop the clutch and hard on the brake immediately.... Feather the throttle a little and the tires should be smoking . I still do that on the street but sometimes it will bog down and stall; On a track with a water box, those tires just spun!!! That's more if a proper burnout... Not a launch sorry!!!
Ultimately if you're going to the track a lot, get a line lock. Your clutch and brakes will thank you for it. It's a super cheap mod too!
Old 4/30/14, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
On radials or bias ply tires? Contrary to popular belief, the more smoke you see with radials doing a burnout, the more slick your tires are going to be. I have MT ET streets on my car and all they need is a small 2-3 second burn out. Just tinge them with a little warmth and clean them off. And tire pressure is very important too. You don't need to drop down to like 10 psi, but you need to find the "sweet spot" for the tires. The amount of sidewall you have will also impact the optimal tire pressure. Lower aspect tires are ideal in the 20-25 psi range. Higher aspect tires you can go lower. But like I said, you need to find optimal tire pressure.
Old 4/30/14, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by db2797
On radials or bias ply tires? Contrary to popular belief, the more smoke you see with radials doing a burnout, the more slick your tires are going to be. I have MT ET streets on my car and all they need is a small 2-3 second burn out. Just tinge them with a little warmth and clean them off. And tire pressure is very important too. You don't need to drop down to like 10 psi, but you need to find the "sweet spot" for the tires. The amount of sidewall you have will also impact the optimal tire pressure. Lower aspect tires are ideal in the 20-25 psi range. Higher aspect tires you can go lower. But like I said, you need to find optimal tire pressure.
The 5-10 second burnouts turned my Falkens into ice. And I didn't drop my pressure just to get a baseline. Dropped down to 25psi and it was a lot better!
Old 4/30/14, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
The 5-10 second burnouts turned my Falkens into ice. And I didn't drop my pressure just to get a baseline. Dropped down to 25psi and it was a lot better!
haha...it's always fun trying to figure the right parameters. You'll start out feeling like you're on a slip-n-slide.
Old 4/30/14, 10:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by db2797
haha...it's always fun trying to figure the right parameters. You'll start out feeling like you're on a slip-n-slide.
Yes. I. Did. Lol I'm like dafuq?? It ain't this hard on the street!
Old 5/1/14, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MSD 2-Step

Last edited by MRGTX; 5/1/14 at 05:20 AM.
Old 5/1/14, 05:53 AM
Cobra R Member

^better off with the WOTBOX more features for less money and not an octopus of wires and connectors.
http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

wotbox is a spark cut rev limiter, window switch, no lift shift, two step and shift light.
All in a neat little package

Meanwhile at MSD....

lol it's a primitive solution in a digital world is all I'm saying.

Last edited by fdjizm; 5/1/14 at 05:58 AM.
Old 5/1/14, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
^better off with the WOTBOX more features for less money and not an octopus of wires and connectors.
http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

wotbox is a spark cut rev limiter, window switch, no lift shift, two step and shift light.
All in a neat little package

Meanwhile at MSD....

lol it's a primitive solution in a digital world is all I'm saying.
But the MSD 2-step is plug and play, WOTBOX is universal requires you to cut & solder your wiring harness.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Manual Launch