2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 GT auto transmission problems?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/17, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GT auto transmission problems?

Hello, I'm new here and searched for a bit, but couldn't find a problem like mine listed here.

I have a 2014 GT with 27k miles, automatic.

When cruising at about 40-45mph, and the transmission upshifts from 5th to 6th, the rpm's jump/surge a bit. I can see it on the rpm and hear it on the exhaust as well. It seems to be worse/more noticeable when going at slow speeds, if I step on it more then it even seems to go away at times.

If I'm just going slow cruising, it shifts at around 1.5-2k, and then goes down to around 1.2k or somewhere around there, but for a split second it jumps back up to 1.5-1.7k and goes back down right away. You can clearly hear it happening from the exhaust noise, as I said.

Any ideas what can be causing this? Should I take it to the dealer? They're closed today, but I'm planning on it.
Old 7/16/17, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Take it to the Dealer, it should still under drive-train warranty.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (7/16/17)
Old 7/16/17, 09:35 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I think the adaptive learning does that if you drive the car too easy. Mine would do that prior to the ProCharger installation. Driving it harder would make it go away for a while as would resetting the computer. With the blower, it appears I drove it hard enough to stop the 5-6 rev flare.
Old 7/16/17, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello and welcome to the TMS forums.

I don't have an auto but got interested.

Try these wordings when google:
- Slipping
- Rpm Flare/ Shift Flare
- 6R80
- Torque Converter
- Tune issue
- Adaptive learning

I found what it seems to be a similar issue on this forum. They are mostly saying it's tune related.
2012 Automatic transmission problem? (SVTPerformance.com)

You can also try and look for TSB/Recall issues here.
2005-2017 Mustang TSB's and Recalls - LMR.com

Curious, did you buy a car new or used?
Old 7/16/17, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Disconnect the battery or pull the tranny fuse to clear the Adaptive Learning and let it relearn.
Old 7/16/17, 10:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Disconnect the battery or pull the tranny fuse to clear the Adaptive Learning and let it relearn.
Welcome Mitchell, I was going to suggest the same thing. This little process will give you an idea if there's something wrong or not. In the wife's '13 GT auto you can feel the torque lock up in several forward gears. It took me awhile to get used to this as her '10 wasn't as noticeable. Good luck.
Old 7/16/17, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies, I just got back from work, so I am going to try disconnecting the battery as some of you recommended. The adaptive learning thing you mentioned sounds just about right -- since I drive my car like a granny most of the time.

So yeah, gonna disconnect the battery and report the results back here soon. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (7/17/17)
Old 7/19/17, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pedal to the metal
Originally Posted by Mitchell Luse
Thanks for all the replies, I just got back from work, so I am going to try disconnecting the battery as some of you recommended. The adaptive learning thing you mentioned sounds just about right -- since I drive my car like a granny most of the time.

So yeah, gonna disconnect the battery and report the results back here soon. Thanks!