Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 single axel suspension

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/12, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 single axel suspension

Been a very long time since ive been back in a domestic car....so far, I like this car a lot.....but not my fav...and the primary reason , I feel this single axel suspension ....after 2 weeks of driving and 500kms on the car, I really dislike the drive on bumps in the road.

Coming from high cars....this is my biggest gripe....second , is the lack of some extra sponge in te seats of the car...the leather is too loose for my liking. Aside from this, it is a nice car.

I would have paid extra for the independant suspension and some extra foam in the seats.
Old 5/6/12, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strut/shock and spring replacement with some higher performance aftermarket parts will get rid of the bouncyness.

It has one of the best solid rear axle suspensions ever and blows many of the lesser IRS set ups away, Including the Camaro.
Old 5/6/12, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Should have waited for the '15
Old 5/6/12, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
It has one of the best solid rear axle suspensions ever and blows many of the lesser IRS set ups away, Including the Camaro.
This. The Mustang's SRA is better in terms of driveability, comfort and conformity than at least 60% of IRS cars on the road today, including the Camaro. The only time I can tell it's a SRA at all is when it side-steps a little bit on bumps going around corners, and even then it's not bad at all.

I think most of your problems are caused by you knowing it's a solid rear axle, not by the presence of it.

As far as the seats go, though, I have to agree. Not Ford's best effort.
Old 5/6/12, 04:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
This. The Mustang's SRA is better in terms of driveability, comfort and conformity than at least 60% of IRS cars on the road today, including the Camaro. The only time I can tell it's a SRA at all is when it side-steps a little bit on bumps going around corners, and even then it's not bad at all.

I think most of your problems are caused by you knowing it's a solid rear axle, not by the presence of it.

As far as the seats go, though, I have to agree. Not Ford's best effort.
To be honest, I hadnt really noticed until I drove my other car last week..when I went back into the mustang I noticed....soon as I hit a pot hole, or other bumps, the entire car is affected...bit of a let down. Spending amounts of money on struts,shocks or anything else on a brand new car to make it better is a waste to be honest.

It's a nice driving car , but I am starting to notice the little short comings....this and the lack of $20 extra foam in the seats, and crappy front $2 speakers is a shame for there prime sports car.
Old 5/6/12, 05:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah ppl don't usually buy mustangs for their ride.. My grandfathers town car has a live rear axle and has a very comfortable ride
Old 5/6/12, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

From the sound of it, this sounds like this may have been your first Mustang.

I'm kinda surprised that your so surprised about how a solid rear axle drives on rough pavement. There are certainly no shortage of Mustang reviews over the years regarding the solid rear axle, especially since 2010 when the Camaro came back.
Old 5/6/12, 06:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like someone didn't do enough research before buying a car...
Old 5/6/12, 07:12 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hear honda makes a very nice car. I bet they have a very comfy ride. Maybe trade your car in for one of those?
Old 5/6/12, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

I think the problem is yours has an ice skating move in its suspension. Axel

It should have an Axle. Take it back for the correct part and the ride should improve.
Old 5/6/12, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

And what's your other car?
Old 5/6/12, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
And what's your other car?
I see many comedians on here.

haven't had a mustang since high school in the early 80s...25 -30 yrs out of these cars will make you forget about the rear axel.

I went the mustang route over the BMW, Benz,Lexus Audi (convertible) route as it presented the best value for the money that the entire family could enjoy with the top down with the kids in the back.

My other autos range from exotics, to sport sedans .... I was not expecting the mustang to have the same level of technology or interior materials ....but I was somewhat surprised this week when on a few occasions I felt the entire move and shift together over bumps , potholes, or any other uneven payment, especially around corners.

It's an observation I'm making, and surprised by how unsettled the car can be under load with uneven payment.
Old 5/6/12, 10:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Did you test drive a Mustang before buying it? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you didn't do your homework on the car. It's not an Audi R8. It's a Mustang.
Old 5/7/12, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Did you test drive a Mustang before buying it? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it sounds like you didn't do your homework on the car. It's not an Audi R8. It's a Mustang.
I test drove an 2012, seemed ok, but you never really test drive for an hour...mind you, I didnt really start noticing the characteristics of this car until now. Still a great car...explains the lower price tag , just surprised they wouldn't have upgraded this car with independent suspension yet, like other vehicles in their line up.
Old 5/7/12, 07:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just wait until 2015 and you will have the long awaited IRS then trade up. Most who buy Mustangs love the solid axle because most are drag racers and muscle car enthusiasts. For those who want more out of their Mustang they go to the aftermarket but most know what they are getting before they purchase.
Old 5/7/12, 08:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I've owned an '08 SGT and have driven 11's and 12's, and I can tell you they're much more well-behaved in the rear than they were 10 years ago. They're downright mannerly, in fact. I grew up learning to drive SRA's and the Mustang, like many have said, has probably the most well-developed solid rear axle suspension in the industry. That's partly because most everyone else has gone to IRS and FWD (with the obvious exception of sports and super cars), but it's also partly due to the work Ford has put into making it a much better ride than it used to be. Still...if you went into it thinking it was going to be like one of the high-end German cars you mentioned, it's no wonder you were disappointed.
Old 5/7/12, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

I dont know about you OP, but I the only one who bought my Mustang for perfomance and not a smooth ride.

Want a smooth ride? Buy a Lincoln.

Last edited by Mustangfreak; 5/7/12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 5/7/12, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to have to start confiscating some man cards in this thread, if you guys don't stop crying about discomfort.
Old 5/7/12, 01:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigR
I test drove an 2012, seemed ok, but you never really test drive for an hour...mind you, I didnt really start noticing the characteristics of this car until now. Still a great car...explains the lower price tag , just surprised they wouldn't have upgraded this car with independent suspension yet, like other vehicles in their line up.
most people have been fighting against irs for a while now. I thought it was to comfy and put stiffer springs on the car as soon as I could. IRS doesnt mean better. I am starting to think you should of bought a taurus.
Old 5/7/12, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
Ford have been fighting against irs for a while now. I thought it was to comfy and put stiffer springs on the car as soon as I could. IRS doesnt mean better. I am starting to think you should of bought a taurus.
Fixed that for you!!!

Let's be honest the reason all Mustang enthusiast defend the SRA is because is the first negative thing reviewers and other car aficionados like to pick on and make fun of...so of course we feel the need to defend it. Camaro enthusiast were like that also until Camaro got IRS and of course they love it now think is the best thing since sliced bread. The same will happen to us too. If is true that SRA is just as good as IRS and independent rear is just for comfort and just add complexity and cost and not really necessary, etc...then more cars will be using a solid rear axle not question about it.

Personally it doesn't bother me too much unless the pavement is really rough like it can be here in the Northeast.

Last edited by newpony; 5/7/12 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 single axel suspension