Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/12, 10:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Lurch" ???

That's the butler on the Adams family isn't it?

OP, what part of the country are you in?
Old 4/7/12, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 13TrackPack
Nope, it didn't drop the gears for me. Though I only had this situation come up at one point where I came to a stop in third and it stayed in third while I was stopped. So, I dropped it down to first and took off from 1st again. I don't know what would happen if you tried the same thing in 5th or 6th.

Lurch is minimal but definitely present. This is just my opinion, but the small time it takes to engage the gear you selected is comparable to the time it takes for a manual driver to disengage the clutch, shift, and engage again. The car keeps revving even after you hit the button until the next gear is engaged, though, so that's a plus. For instance, these cars redline at 7k, and if you up-shift at 6500 the car keeps pulling and engages the new gear right at 7k.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I was reading reviews and they made it seem bad. I can live with it, especially if times similar to a manual. Thanks again
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr

OP, what part of the country are you in?
The Carolinas.
Old 4/7/12, 11:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I personally prefer a stick because it has always made me feel more a part of the car. That's why I got a standard with my jeep, along with the fact that it's far easier to crawl offroad with a stick.

When people give you crap about your wrist, show it to them. There's no reason to feel bad at their ignorance or insensitivity. Be comfortable with who you are.

Next time some jackass says something like that, tell them auto trannys are faster than most standards now, and only a "real man" can drive a stick past one of the autos.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 4/7/12 at 11:21 PM.
Old 4/7/12, 11:32 PM
GT Member

When my grandpa went to the dealership to order his first brand new car (a 1972 Mach 1), he said he wanted a 4-speed manual transmission. But, his wife was with him at the time and she said she wanted an automatic (she doesn't know how to drive a stick).So, anyways, when he got the car and showed it to everybody, they couldn't help but be amazed that it had such a rare and expensive option, because back then the automatics costed like $1000, which was like 1/4 the cost of the car! So, interpret that to your GT and the automatic option would be like $8,000!My grandpa loved that car and he was never ashamed of owning a higher-spec, automatic Mustang. You shouldn't be either...
Old 4/8/12, 02:59 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, no way would I be buying from that dealership. Walk away and find one that's worthy!

As for the selectshift, if it works like all the others (like the steptronic in my BMW 330i) then you'll be able to engage/disengage Selectshift at any point. Some of these semi-autos will hold at the rev limiter going up the gears until you change.....but most will not change down until the computer can ensure you're not going to over-rev the engine.

I just wish Ford had spent a few extra bucks and provided a dual-gate shift, so that you can just knock the shifter to one side, then push/pull to change gear, rather than the two little buttons provided by Selectshift. Hopefully they'll address that for the '15MY. Still, the buttons are a fair compromise.

As for being a real man? What twaddle!! My '05 is a manual with a Hurst shifter, which is superb. However, it's a fine weekend toy, and if I was to have a Mustang as a daily driver, it's be an automatic, no question!

Enjoy your Mustang when you get it. Post up the photos here. Just make sure that dealer doesn't get your business!
Old 4/8/12, 10:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SolRyan
Awesome. I'm kinda self conscious about it, the dealerships here really haven't been very kind about it. I get a lot of smirks when I say Automatic and GT Mustang...
what jerks, forget them, beside you can't look down on any car with this under the hood.. even if it was pink with purple pansies painted on it
Old 4/8/12, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

As for the tranny, like 13trackpack said, it won’t downshift if you’re in 1/2/3
It’ll only downshift if you’re in 4/5/6 and you drop below 750 rpms. Otherwise it holds the gears nicely and not much lurch. You can also go between auto & select mode at any time, moving or not

EDIT: don't really care about the select-shift.. but the sport-shift mode, in auto, is great

Last edited by cinque35; 4/20/12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 4/8/12, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RiceEatin2000GT
12's have select shift? lol
Yea they sure do smarty. D-3-2-1
I would hope you knew what I meant.
Old 4/8/12, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a 2011 GT with an Auto, and like it very much as my DD! My previous car had the "manual shift" feature for the auto, and I DO miss that in this car. Still, I enjoy this car a lot, and also did a track day with it! I was on Thunderbolt at NJMP. I did the first session in Auto, then just left it in 3rd for all the other sessions!
Old 4/8/12, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Yea they sure do smarty. D-3-2-1
I would hope you knew what I meant.
Old 4/8/12, 09:28 PM
V6 Member

I actually really liked the auto when I test drove it for a few hours (yes, a few hours... dealerships love me!).

I ultimately went for a manual, as I have my '12 Focus with the select-shift as my daily driver. Still, the auto was fun. I like that you could set it in D and it drove like a chill daily driver, then put it in S (sport) for a more aggressive automatic shift, and then finally engage manual mode in S for 99% control.

Not bad at all.
Old 4/9/12, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Sol, when you get that new Mustang be sure to drive it into that a$$hole's lot, and give him the single digit salute. He doesn't deserve your business. Our '10 GT is an Auto, and the '13 we have ordered will have an auto. It's really fun to just hit the go pedal. We need pics when you get the car home.

BTW, if your close to Kannapolis, NC, stop by Hilbish Ford. They'll treat you right.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/9/12 at 12:24 PM.
Old 4/9/12, 12:35 PM

Oh there will definitely be pictures. I am so excited for this car. My 06 has issues and I'm looking for a fresh start lol. My only real problem now is deciding whether or not to order or buy off the lot. I've fallen in love with a car that hasn't come in to another dealership and I'm hoping to get my hands on it but they haven't a clue about what's going on with the car... I'm hoping Deysha can assist
Old 4/9/12, 02:33 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh there will definitely be pictures. I am so excited for this car. My 06 has issues and I'm looking for a fresh start lol. My only real problem now is deciding whether or not to order or buy off the lot. I've fallen in love with a car that hasn't come in to another dealership and I'm hoping to get my hands on it but they haven't a clue about what's going on with the car... I'm hoping Deysha can assist
I sent you another update, SolRyan.

Deysha
Old 4/9/12, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I get a lot of smirks when I say Automatic and GT Mustang...
Ignore them, great choice in ride. Makes me want to ask what they drive...
Old 4/9/12, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kabooka

Ignore them, great choice in ride. Makes me want to ask what they drive...
Yea... Can't imagine they all drive high powered sports cars with manual trannys
Old 4/9/12, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I sent you another update, SolRyan.

Deysha
Thanks, not the news I was hoping for, but it gives me an answer at least...I don't think I can wait much longer for that one... Might be time to give up and move on... :/

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Yea... Can't imagine they all drive high powered sports cars with manual trannys
Probably not... I think people like to put others down.. Just wish they wouldn't aim at me lol, I keep trying to remember they're probably jealous, doesn't always work lol
Old 4/9/12, 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking down to a prospective client/customer is an unacceptable and very old sales technique. They are pushing the iron on the lot and try to embarrass the customer into buying what they have.

I have a manual only because I live in south Dakota...no traffic I actually went in looking for an auto GT/CS, which was listed on line. They had already sold it and only had the manual, which I bought.

While I was assigned to Dallas, I had an automatic, 6 speed with select shift in a Chrysler Crossfire. If you drive in traffic, and this is your daily driver, go auto.

And, one other thing, you do not owe anyone an explanation as to why you want the auto, tell them to kiss off..it is none of their business...you are the customer. Walk away and find a real dealership.
Old 4/11/12, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by RiceEatin2000GT
Thats really messed up that people give u grief about it. Even in my car circle i also get grief but at the end of the day the automatic is every bit as fast as the manual mustangs compared up against most drivers. Ive done some racing in my day and the amount of people ive beaten just because they cant drive their "faster stick" car is quite comical.
That's so true, RiceEatin2000GT! I've lost count the number of times I've heard people say "I would've won but I missed 3rd". LOL.

I've had manuals and autos (last one was a 2010 GT w/5-speed manual). Until the 6R80 6-speed automatic came along, I wouldn't have an auto because of the performance penalty. But with the current 6-speed auto, there's virtually no performance penalty and, as has been said previously, it's faster than most driver's ability to consistently shift a manual transmission. That ultra-low 1st gear in the 6R80 is fantastic for launching the car!

Last edited by Java2011Mustang; 4/11/12 at 10:26 AM.
Old 4/11/12, 11:08 AM
V6 Member

I'd say half of the people I tell about my auto order call me a whimp or something. Most of them drive some ****ty car so I don't let it bother me too much.

My dealer was really cool about it though. Never questioned what I wanted.

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang with SelectShift Question