Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang GT with stock then GT500 Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 9/10/12, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 Mustang GT with stock then GT500 Mufflers

Just had GT500 mufflers put on my car today by the local Ford dealer. First you can hear the stock 2013 Mustang GT mufflers at idle and drive-bys and then the GT500 mufflers. The GT500 mufflers here are brand new and will get louder after 500-600 miles as the packing ages. Too bad but it was windy when I shot the GT500 sounds so that diluted the sound somewhat. But you should hear that the GT500s are louder than stock but not as loud as Roush.

Joe C

Last edited by jocatch; 9/10/12 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 9/10/12, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

nice work on the video!
Old 9/10/12, 02:54 PM
V6 Member

Just curious jocatch, how much did the dealer want for the install job? I should be receiving my 2013 GT at the end of the month and was thinking I'd just pick up some GT500 A/Bs ahead of time and ask them to install them before I pick it up, but was wondering if they'd cut me any break / be willing to do it for free.
Old 9/10/12, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by coachhoach
Just curious jocatch, how much did the dealer want for the install job? I should be receiving my 2013 GT at the end of the month and was thinking I'd just pick up some GT500 A/Bs ahead of time and ask them to install them before I pick it up, but was wondering if they'd cut me any break / be willing to do it for free.
I got the mufflers for $299 shipped from Late Model Restorations. The dealer charged me $65 to install and took about 45 mins.

Joe C
Old 9/10/12, 05:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
I got the mufflers for $299 shipped from Late Model Restorations. The dealer charged me $65 to install and took about 45 mins.

Joe C
That's not so bad then, I'll probably get them ahead of time and just give them to the dealer beforehand. Are you pleased with the tone / volume of them? If you went back in time, would you do it again, or do you think you would have rather opted for something else? For the price, it seems hard to argue.
Old 9/10/12, 06:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by coachhoach
That's not so bad then, I'll probably get them ahead of time and just give them to the dealer beforehand. Are you pleased with the tone / volume of them? If you went back in time, would you do it again, or do you think you would have rather opted for something else? For the price, it seems hard to argue.
I just got them installed today! But there is no drone at 2000 rpm which other mufflers have had. I had Roush on my 2010 but couldn't stand the drone so I went with Magnaflows which were OK. But this time I went with GT500s since they were alot cheaper, a Ford product and I have read only things about them on the forums. They sound good and like all mufflers they only get louder after a few hundred miles.

Joe C.
Old 9/10/12, 06:35 PM

Thumbs up

Just had GT500 mufflers put on my car today by the local Ford dealer. First you can hear the stock 2013 Mustang GT mufflers at idle and drive-bys and then the GT500 mufflers. The GT500 mufflers here are brand new and will get louder after 500-600 miles as the packing ages. Too bad but it was windy when I shot the GT500 sounds so that diluted the sound somewhat. But you should hear that the GT500s are louder than stock but not as loud as Roush.

Joe C
Great idea with the video. Those sound great! With the idling and the quick runs down the road I see you're not any more concerned about initial gas mileage either.
Old 9/10/12, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SKID1701
Great idea with the video. Those sound great! With the idling and the quick runs down the road I see you're not any more concerned about initial gas mileage either.

I am breaking the car the way I am going to drive but within reason. On the highway yesterday I got 19.8 mpg. That was with contstant rpm changing, power drives, gear changes frequently. I assume I will get around 24 once broken in. But it is so hard not getting on it with all that acceleration! Of course the only reason we care about gas milage is so we know what our driving range is. Last thing I want to have happen is be on a freeway low on gas with no service area for miles and miles.

Joe C
Old 9/10/12, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I just got them installed today! But there is no drone at 2000 rpm which other mufflers have had. I had Roush on my 2010 but couldn't stand the drone so I went with Magnaflows which were OK. But this time I went with GT500s since they were alot cheaper, a Ford product and I have read only things about them on the forums. They sound good and like all mufflers they only get louder after a few hundred miles.

Joe C.
Great before and after comparison video, those sound great, and the price is right.
Old 9/10/12, 09:09 PM
Banned

Joe C
Woah that's dirt cheap, my axlebacks were over $500 and will sound half as good as this that's the only downside to the v6, oh well lol.
Old 9/10/12, 10:11 PM

It's nice to see an exhaust video where the owner isn't scared of revving the engine. If I do get my GT, I'm definitely getting a set of these axlebacks.
Old 9/10/12, 10:17 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Joe C

---
Originally Posted by mopar?
Woah that's dirt cheap, my axlebacks were over $500 and will sound half as good as this that's the only downside to the v6, oh well lol.
---
Some dealers will bend over backwards to help good customers. I got my GT500 mufflers from LateModelResto for $300, and my local Ford dealer installed them for free. I doesn't hurt to ask...ya never know!
Old 9/11/12, 01:54 AM

Best mufflers period
Old 9/11/12, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FuzzyLumpkin
Best mufflers period
Fuzzy, my next mod is a shifter. I am thinking about the MGW or Barton. Any problems installing it? Was it worth the price? Thanks.

Joe C
Old 9/11/12, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

cut the resonators and you will love them even more
Old 9/11/12, 12:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, those sound so much better than the stock muffler
Old 9/12/12, 01:54 AM
GT Member

Angry

Yeah these mufflers are a GREAT and inexpensive mod. I spray painted the cans black with header paint - they look and sound fantastic. At least...that's what I remember...the Batmobile is in storage in Denver and I am working overseas...going through withdrawl...D'OH!
Old 9/12/12, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the video, this sealed the deal for me and I ordered my GT500 axle-back from American Muscle today...
Old 9/12/12, 05:13 PM

Fuzzy, my next mod is a shifter. I am thinking about the MGW or Barton. Any problems installing it? Was it worth the price? Thanks.

Joe C

Haven't tried the barton but the MGW is roughly the same price and is the complete shifter unit, which is what I was looking for. It was worth every penny. Helps to have 2 people when installing, notably when sandwiching the shifter arm in between the two halves of the lower shifter box. But other than that it wasn't bad. The install video by SVTperformance is a great video to aid the install. Once I got used to the MGW I started having wheel hop when shifting into third because I can shift so much faster with it. Now I just need some LCAs with relocation brackets to fix the wheel hop. I'm not saying the Barton is bad at all, many people are happy with it, but I would not trade the MGW for any other shifter on the market.

Last edited by FuzzyLumpkin; 9/12/12 at 05:17 PM.
Old 9/12/12, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FuzzyLumpkin
Haven't tried the barton but the MGW is roughly the same price and is the complete shifter unit, which is what I was looking for. It was worth every penny. Helps to have 2 people when installing, notably when sandwiching the shifter arm in between the two halves of the lower shifter box. But other than that it wasn't bad. The install video by SVTperformance is a great video to aid the install. Once I got used to the MGW I started having wheel hop when shifting into third because I can shift so much faster with it. Now I just need some LCAs with relocation brackets to fix the wheel hop. I'm not saying the Barton is bad at all, many people are happy with it, but I would not trade the MGW for any other shifter on the market.
Thanks, that is an honest assesment. I may have run into a problem with putting a shifter in my car, however. I put my car up on one set of ramps that I have and there is no way I can get under the middle of the car. I have one more set of ramps which are taller and longer. I will try those. If I still can't get under the car I may have to scrap my plans or find someone I can trust to put it in for me. It is just me, I have no one else to help.

Joe C

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang GT with stock then GT500 Mufflers