2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Mustang GT: The Perfect Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/14, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my car. Now that I said that - I too will say - that I am not necessarily a Ford guy. My dad hated them and I grew up with Oldmobiles (the good ones were 455's) my whole life with a couple of Pontiacs scattered in. This is actually my second Mustang. My first was a 1981 with the straight six w/ California emissions and t-tops. I had it while in college. It was one of the 2 worst cars I ever had. The other tied for the worst was a 1989 Chevy S-10 Blazer. I swore off both and - what do you know - I changed my mind. In 2012 my son went to college and I was really tired of a combination of trucks, SUV's and minivans. My wife said it is my midlife crisis. The fact is I was totally fed up with not driving something I enjoyed and I don't think anybody enjoys driving as much as I do.

Bottom line - I wanted to enjoy it and I wanted something that would fit a college student's father's budget. I wanted something sporty, reasonably fast, preferably rear wheel drive, preferably a convertible and with decent mileage - and on that budget. It also needed to be able to haul a bike rack and a small utility trailer for the occasional Home Depot run. It needed to be a 4-seater since I wanted it to be the 'beach/trip car with my wife and daughter (son has his own car). I looked at virtually every car out there and the Mustang is the only thing that let me check all the boxes I wanted/needed.

As many of you know that have read my other threads - it has been far from trouble free and that is the only thing I am disappointed in. Hopefully now all the gremlins are gone. Either way I really do enjoy it - or at least I will when it gets out of the body shop (see other thread). So - with the exception of mine being a V6, I agree with everything the OP said.
Old 6/24/14, 07:50 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracingmustang
I consider myself a car guy too. That said I figured all car guys should own a Z06 Corvette sometime in their life so a few years back I found a decent deal on one and had to have it. It was a 2003 with 43K on the clock. It felt a little stiff on the shift and my inner self was telling me to walk away but that car guy in me just couldn't do it. It turned out to have a bad pilot bearing or more like a disintegrated one. I ended up replacing the entire clutch assembly and the torque tube. (I got a deal on a new in the box torque tube) Besides that I was bit twice the first week of ownership with the locking steering wheel syndrome. Then on numerous occasions the fuel gauge would stop working. If I hadn't been able to do all the work myself the parts and labor on the clutch repair would have been around $5000 at the dealer. At the end of the day I decided GM cars were not for me.

With all the recalls I am starting to think the same way. I'm waiting for the recall letter on my '87 Monte Carlo
Old 6/24/14, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrAngry
laserred38 - I'm in the East Bay.

White2010 - You being tired of people bashing the Mustang suspension is fine, but understand that there's a reason they're doing this. Out of the factory a stock V6 and GT car is set up so every Tom, Dick and Harry who rents one at the airport can drive it and not get killed. The spring rates are soft and the stock shocks are "decent" at best. No one is saying the Mustang is a bad car, but you know as well as I do, that many Mustang owners tout their cars to be the greatest thing since the wheel.

Me, I'm just being realistic about what the car actually is (again, I bought one). As for me being a so called media expert - hell, if you think you're more qualified to write about cars then I am, then go ahead. Just don't be surprised when people jump down your throat for writing honest opinions that they sometimes don't want to hear.
I understand that for the most part people bash the Mustang because they expect the car to be something that its not. When someone makes the claim that the Mustang has a "rental car" suspension it is at best an intentionally deceptive description and more likely the claim of someone who just doesn't know what they're talking about. A Fusion is a rental car. A Camry is a rental car. A Nissan Altima is a rental car. The bulk of the rental car fleet in the United States and Canada is by far comprised of midsize sedans and economy cars. Most car rental places in the US don't even offer the Mustang as a rental car. Now, having said that, the reality is that cars like the Fusion or Camry or Altima or any of the other midsize sedans that are commonly found on rental car lots will not in any way handle as well as even the most based out V6 Mustang. At best their skid pad numbers are somewhere around .87 or so. That's a rental car chassis and there is a huge difference in how a Mustang handles as compared to your actual average rental car. I fully understand that the Mustang suspension can be improved upon to further enhance the handling abilities of the car. But to try and make the analogy that the Mustang has a "rental car chassis" is just moronic. To the original poster I suggest he go rent himself a Toyota Camry and then come back here and ***** about how poorly the Mustang handles.
Old 6/25/14, 05:39 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
I understand that for the most part people bash the Mustang because they expect the car to be something that its not. When someone makes the claim that the Mustang has a "rental car" suspension it is at best an intentionally deceptive description and more likely the claim of someone who just doesn't know what they're talking about. A Fusion is a rental car. A Camry is a rental car. A Nissan Altima is a rental car. The bulk of the rental car fleet in the United States and Canada is by far comprised of midsize sedans and economy cars. Most car rental places in the US don't even offer the Mustang as a rental car. Now, having said that, the reality is that cars like the Fusion or Camry or Altima or any of the other midsize sedans that are commonly found on rental car lots will not in any way handle as well as even the most based out V6 Mustang. At best their skid pad numbers are somewhere around .87 or so. That's a rental car chassis and there is a huge difference in how a Mustang handles as compared to your actual average rental car. I fully understand that the Mustang suspension can be improved upon to further enhance the handling abilities of the car. But to try and make the analogy that the Mustang has a "rental car chassis" is just moronic. To the original poster I suggest he go rent himself a Toyota Camry and then come back here and ***** about how poorly the Mustang handles.
Now that's a good reply.
Old 6/25/14, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Great read. People were shocked when I bought my Mustang. I've been driving Subaru's for years because they're practical, great in winter, decent on gas, and pretty fun to drive. Before that I had a couple of Pontiacs. But I too am a Car Guy. The responses I've been getting since taking home my car ranged from, "Why didn't you get another Subaru?" to "How could you buy a FORD?!?" to "Dude, seriously? A Mustang?!?! WTF?" and everything in between.

I subscribe to the Top Gear theory of what makes a car great...and that definition changes for everybody. A car has to feel special. Has to give me a bit of a fizz. This car absolutely does that, everytime I get in. A true CAR guy would never say, "How could you buy a Ford?" or criticize the badge. The correct question is, "What made you pick a Mustang?" or even just nod understanding that sometimes a certain car just clicks for a person, even if it's completely outside the lines of what that person "normally" drives or likes.

If you're picking a car to get groceries/take the kids to school/take family trips/etc etc etc that's the decision you analyse for fuel economy, cargo space, number of seats, blah blah blah. Cars like this? If you're not buying them because they tickled your special place, you're buying them for the wrong reason, or you've picked the wrong car.
Old 6/25/14, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Mr Angry.... are you always angry?
Old 6/25/14, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Great read. People were shocked when I bought my Mustang. I've been driving Subaru's for years because they're practical, great in winter, decent on gas, and pretty fun to drive. Before that I had a couple of Pontiacs. But I too am a Car Guy. The responses I've been getting since taking home my car ranged from, "Why didn't you get another Subaru?" to "How could you buy a FORD?!?" to "Dude, seriously? A Mustang?!?! WTF?" and everything in between. I subscribe to the Top Gear theory of what makes a car great...and that definition changes for everybody. A car has to feel special. Has to give me a bit of a fizz. This car absolutely does that, everytime I get in. A true CAR guy would never say, "How could you buy a Ford?" or criticize the badge. The correct question is, "What made you pick a Mustang?" or even just nod understanding that sometimes a certain car just clicks for a person, even if it's completely outside the lines of what that person "normally" drives or likes. If you're picking a car to get groceries/take the kids to school/take family trips/etc etc etc that's the decision you analyse for fuel economy, cargo space, number of seats, blah blah blah. Cars like this? If you're not buying them because they tickled your special place, you're buying them for the wrong reason, or you've picked the wrong car.
Yep. I hate idiots that say crap like "you bought a Mustang??"

Now, even as a car guy, I can't appreciate most GM cars lol. When I go to the hot rod shows, I can definitely appreciate the work that the owners put in, but they just don't do anything for me. Sure I've seen an old caddy, Corvette or older Camaro all done up that catches my eye, but they just don't make me "want" them. Ya know?
Old 6/25/14, 12:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great read, love your Charger as well, loved seeing the YouTube vid of the autocross against the Lambos. Dream car is and always has been a '68 Charger R/T, black on black with black vinyl top...someday I'll have one.
Old 6/25/14, 12:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I just helped my buddy get the Niche Targas on his 2013 R/T. They are great daily drivers, IMO, other than the gas mileage

20x8.5 with +15 offset, 20x10.5 with +20 offset. 245/45/20 and 275/40/20 BFG Comp Sport2s.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Mustang GT: The Perfect Purchase?-image-2839638920.jpg   2013 Mustang GT: The Perfect Purchase?-image-4176933047.jpg  
Old 6/25/14, 01:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sweet, my favorite /Drive host.

Question - how much less livable has the Cortex suspension made your car? My car is a daily driver and I split my time between Westchester, Nassau, and Queens and I don't want to deal with rattles and clunks from the jungle gym moving around under my car.
Old 6/25/14, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm on my 3rd s197 so does that make me a Mustang Lover? I'm really a car guy who owns a Mustang.
Old 6/25/14, 08:14 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Me angry.... Grrrrr... Me should not have read post. Grrrrr. (Beats chest). Me man. Me angry.
Old 6/25/14, 08:34 PM
Axe

I hear the "no room" thing about the Camaro a lot, and after owning 2, (2010 and 2012) I don't get it...maybe the roofline, I'm 6' and never felt cramped top to bottom, but side to side the Camaro has way more room then a Mustang.

I am a car guy too, and I think of brand loyalists as close minded to be honest. I had an 05 and 08 GT, but once the Camaros and Challengers came out the Mustang became yesterdays news to me. Just too plain looking. Also with my right knee always hitting the console, which it does not do in the Camaro or Challenger, that made me lose interest too.

Then the 2013s came out, mean looking nose, finally did something with that god-awful rear end...2 weeks ago I traded in my 2011 Challenger on a 2013 v6 w/ 20k miles, and, right knee be damned - I am loving this car!
Old 6/25/14, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Axe
I hear the "no room" thing about the Camaro a lot, and after owning 2, (2010 and 2012) I don't get it...maybe the roofline, I'm 6' and never felt cramped top to bottom, but side to side the Camaro has way more room then a Mustang.

I am a car guy too, and I think of brand loyalists as close minded to be honest. I had an 05 and 08 GT, but once the Camaros and Challengers came out the Mustang became yesterdays news to me. Just too plain looking. Also with my right knee always hitting the console, which it does not do in the Camaro or Challenger, that made me lose interest too.

Then the 2013s came out, mean looking nose, finally did something with that god-awful rear end...2 weeks ago I traded in my 2011 Challenger on a 2013 v6 w/ 20k miles, and, right knee be damned - I am loving this car!
The sight lines make it feel smaller than it is. It's a cozy pillbox.
Old 6/26/14, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good read, I agree that the mustang doesn't have a rental car chassis but then again, I just got back from driving a rental car across the US... My '12 GT handled way better. Oddly enough, I would dare say it handled better than my old Supercharged Cobalt SS but not as a good as my old SVT Focus. And the Boss... well MotorTrend, Car & Driver, Road & Track... can tell the rest.

Last edited by Krohn; 6/26/14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 6/26/14, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

Great read!
Old 6/26/14, 10:03 AM
GT Member

My last Ford before buying my '14 GT was a 1994 Probe SE. By 2002, when I traded it on a 2002 Honda CR-V, It's red paint had gone pink and it was running on 3 cylinders. I wasn't ever buying anything American again. But after 10 plus years of 4 practical and boring Hondas with a couple of used SAABs thrown in between my wife and me, I just wanted a big, loud V-8. I'd heard both sides of the issue on the suspension. A lot of the mags went on about how improved it was in the s197's. Yet there's still a lot of hate from both inside and outside the enthusiast community. I have to say, though, whenever I'm taking windy roads, I'm really surprised sometimes when I check my speed. My Mustang takes the twisties with a lot less fanfare than my Eibach'ed '12 Civic Si ever did. Especially when the steering effort is toggled over to comfort, so you're getting all that boost, it makes this car feel a lot more tossable than I ever thought it should feel.
Old 6/26/14, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

You know what I've read from the OP and everyone else here? i've read that everyone has their own opinion and have their own take on how they see the Mustang. This excludes what FromZto5 said, that was just plain funny! I personally love this car. I love everything about it.

I think we should all just appreciate the fact that some love it. some like it, some have bad experiences with it. the ONE thing we all have in common. is we OWN a Mustang and that speaks volumes.
Old 6/26/14, 03:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
You know what I've read from the OP and everyone else here? i've read that everyone has their own opinion and have their own take on how they see the Mustang. This excludes what FromZto5 said, that was just plain funny! I personally love this car. I love everything about it. I think we should all just appreciate the fact that some love it. some like it, some have bad experiences with it. the ONE thing we all have in common. is we OWN a Mustang and that speaks volumes.
Joe, you're so much nicer and more mature than the last Joe we had around here
Old 6/26/14, 04:11 PM
Cobra Member

lol thanks Patrick (I think) hahaha! I just don't see the point to bashing each other. I know its a forum, but It just doesn't have to be that way.

Quick Reply: 2013 Mustang GT: The Perfect Purchase?