2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2012 Mustang key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/10, 06:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read up on those and in order for it to work on vehicles with a locking steering column they suggest you cut the head off a key and leave the ignition lock in the on position with the steering column unlocked. Very hokey and not worth all the expense for this kit, especially when it works no better than just a simple push-to-start button. The only advantage I see is automatic door lock/unlock but I am not that lazy. I certainly do not like the idea of leaving the column unlocked.

Honestly it would not be a deal breaker for me buying a new Mustang whether I had push-to-start or not. If an aftermarket system cannot be made that functions like the Fiesta option then it's not worth it. Eventually it will be incorporated into the Mustang just like SYNC was and My Touch will be. I would not look for much until the next generation model.

I do dislike the all-in-one giant fob remote keys. However I got the same switchblade key that was shown in the earlier post and it serves me perfectly well. No key in my thigh!!
Old 12/29/10, 07:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ I'm 99% sure someone will put the Fiesta system into the mustang. Of which you can purchase...

Seems rather friendly.

Part Numbers:
The push button starter Part No 1459645
Silver Surround Part No 1503170
In line Fuse Holder & 10 Amp Fuse
4 Pin 40 Amp 12 Volt Relay
Suitable Wire.

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/vie...p?f=90&t=45990

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/vie...411725#p411725

http://www.part-box.com/ford-power-i...n-p-17393.html

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 12/29/10 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Link didn't work.
Old 12/29/10, 08:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
^^ I'm 99% sure someone will put the Fiesta system into the mustang. Of which you can purchase...

Seems rather friendly.

Part Numbers:
The push button starter Part No 1459645
Silver Surround Part No 1503170
In line Fuse Holder & 10 Amp Fuse
4 Pin 40 Amp 12 Volt Relay
Suitable Wire.

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/vie...p?f=90&t=45990

http://www.focusowners.com/forum/vie...411725#p411725

http://www.part-box.com/ford-power-i...n-p-17393.html
But that requires you to insert the key and turn to "on" before you can push Start. Most systems just require the key fob to be in your pocket, or at least that is what I want
Old 12/29/10, 08:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Adam
But that requires you to insert the key and turn to "on" before you can push Start. Most systems just require the key fob to be in your pocket, or at least that is what I want
I see... yea, then I suppose it would be rendered kinda asinine.

I wonder what wiring and parts etc. needs to be had to retro fit a complete auto start.
Old 12/29/10, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well the Porsche 911 still uses a key..except it goes in on the left side.

Dave
Old 12/29/10, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
History has shown that a push-button starter will kill you.

I like being able to turn the car off myself, not put in a request for the car to be turned off that may or may not get denied.
Old 12/29/10, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
History has shown that a push-button starter will kill you.

I like being able to turn the car off myself, not put in a request for the car to be turned off that may or may not get denied.
Huh? You're saying the button is more vulnerable to fail than a traditional key ignition switch? Source of info? My buddy had a beater that would keep running after removing the key

Last edited by Adam; 12/29/10 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12/30/10, 06:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't use the larger key/fobs because my knee jams into it. Also, I don't like keeping such an abortion of a key/fob in my pocket because the key digs into my thigh. I rented a 2010 for a full week and I hated that stupid key to the point I wouldn't buy a car if it had that. I rented a 2010 Nissan Maxima for a week and the keyless entry/ignition was ultra convenient. The Maxima's push button starter was 1 click to start, 1 click to shut off. If the engine kept accelerating, I could just shift into neutral. Besides, most cars that use keys these days still send a request to the PCM to start the engine. On GM cars, you just tap the key and the starter keeps turning until the engine starts. It's all electronic, the key is just for show.

My 09 Cobalt SS Turbocharged has a key/fob similar to my 07 - small transmitter key, with a small separate fob. I tap the ignition once, release, and the engine keeps turning until it starts. If I pull the fuel and ignition fuse (to lube the engine and turbocharger after winter storage), the engine keeps turning for up to 30 seconds automatically. It's just a few parts away from a keyless pushbutton ignition system, and this is on a lowly Cobalt SS Turbocharged.

As for the live axle, people either attack the live axle or feel the need to defend it. I'm talking about the convenience of keyless entry/ignition, and never debated the live axle. For what it is worth, I don't mind the live axle. It's strong, I don't see it, it does its job, and I don't have to worry about 4 wheel alignment.

The huge monstrosity of the integrated key transmitter that Ford has been using is inconvenient, obstructive for me, and an overall cheap measure. Someone I know works at Ford and bought a new Flex (that goes to show what kind of person he is) with the Powercode remote start. I asked him why Ford continues to be a cheap bastard because the Powercode requires a separate fob, on top of the huge IKT fob, to operate. General Motors, Nissan, Mazda, and a variety of other manufacturers that use remote start integrate it into one fob for convenience.

Quite frankly, I am not enamored enough with the 2011-up Mustang to really go out and buy one. I'd like to trade in my 07 GT for the 412 hp 5.0 GT, but I can afford to wait. The IKT is a turnoff for me after using one for a full week on a 2010 Mustang. I hated the key/fob. The car was fine.

I have the Taiwanese Mazda-style flip key for my 07, but it is too large and my knee will hit it while driving.

Last edited by metroplex; 12/30/10 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 09:14 AM
Banned

no offense here, but are u buying a lexus or a mustang? its a mustang, i dont want all this gay stuff on them. i want it to be good quality and semi fast out of the box. i cant believe anyone would waste time about a key fob.
Old 12/30/10, 09:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The Fiesta is a cheap disposable econo car, yet it has the keyless entry/ignition. The keyless fob has become a standard even on rental Nissan cars, and has dominated the global market (Ford in Europe/Asia even have the systems already in the market for the past 5 years). The American car makers seem hesitant to come to terms with modern times on many of the domestic designs. I recall Ford deleting the ability to open/close the windows on the S197 because they wanted us to buy the dealer installed security system. It would have been just a few lines of code to keep the feature. I can afford to wait until the Mustang gets updated.

Every time I have to take off my gloves in -10 weather to get my key and fob, I remember how even entryl-level Nissan and Mazda models have keyless entry and ignition systems.

Last edited by metroplex; 12/30/10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 09:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
The Maxima's push button starter was 1 click to start, 1 click to shut off. If the engine kept accelerating, I could just shift into neutral. Besides, most cars that use keys these days still send a request to the PCM to start the engine. On GM cars, you just tap the key and the starter keeps turning until the engine starts. It's all electronic, the key is just for show.
Yes and no. Yes, the starter function is computer controlled on many cars (including the Mustang) regardless of key or push button start. But the ignition power is not. A key based ignition switch is a mechanical switch - if you turn the ignition key off, the switch mechanically disconnects power to the ignition. With the push button system, pushing the button merely sends a signal to the computer to turn off the ignition. If the computer is locked up (think of Windows), it may or may not respond to the request. Also, at least on Toyotas, you have to push and hold the start/stop button for several seconds to shut off the ignition if the car is moving. Many people affected by the unintended acceleration problem didn't know that and found that merely punching the button had no effect.

Oh, and with computer controlled automatic transmissions, shifting the lever into neutral won't necessarily have the effect you want. Again, Toyota owners found that the shifter didn't work. Obviously, a manual transmission doesn't have that problem.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12/30/10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 09:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes and no. Yes, the starter function is computer controlled on many cars (including the Mustang) regardless of key or push button start. But the ignition power is not. A key based ignition switch is a mechanical switch - if you turn the ignition key off, the switch mechanically disconnects power to the ignition. With the push button system, pushing the button merely sends a signal to the computer to turn off the ignition. If the computer is locked up (think of Windows), it may or may not respond to the request. Also, at least on Toyotas, you have to push and hold the start/stop button for several seconds to shut off the ignition if the car is moving. Many people affected by the unintended acceleration problem didn't know that and found that merely punching the button had no effect.
How did they not know? Don't they have to turn off their cars every day when they get home? I felt the whole Toyota issue was fueled by market hype, media frenzy, and the US Government / banks due to their ownership of GM and Ford. It was in their advantage to try and boost US auto sales.

The Nissan keyless ignition was easy and simple to use. The Facebook generation can even use it. There are even instructions on the LCD display in the dash that tell you how to work it.
Old 12/30/10, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They didn't know because they didn't read the owner's manual. The button only requires a short press to shut off when the car is not moving - just like the Nissan. It's only when the car is moving that the push-and-hold is required to shut off the ignition. The idea is to prevent accidentally shutting off the ignition while driving. So owners just did what they would normally do in their driveway... press and release the button without holding it in.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12/30/10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 01:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Don't they have to turn off their cars every day when they get home? I felt the whole Toyota issue was fueled by market hype, media frenzy, and the US Government / banks due to their ownership of GM and Ford. It was in their advantage to try and boost US auto sales.
Or it was just a very real and disturbing problem... which killed over 60 people... ? Not everyone reads their 150 page manual, regardless it's a moot point.

BTW Ford didn't take any money from the government... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_149824.html
Old 12/30/10, 01:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Or it was just a very real and disturbing problem... which killed over 60 people... ?
It's a shame those people needlessly died. Motortrend proved that at wide open throttle, the vehicle's brakes can overpower the engine and stop the car. Link to article.

Car and Driver did the same test, with similar findings. They even tested with a Roush Stage 3 Mustang. Link to that article.

Last edited by Adam; 12/30/10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12/30/10, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Adam
It's a shame those people needlessly died. Motortrend proved that at wide open throttle, the vehicle's brakes can overpower the engine and stop the car. Link to article.

Car and Driver did the same test, with similar findings. They even tested with a Roush Stage 3 Mustang. Link to that article.
for the motor trend article, they did a 0-60-0. C&D states they tested a 0-120-0 but fail to state which car they tested and their graph only shows 0-100-0. for that youtube video, that was a CHP officer driving a courtesy lexus vehicle,i believe it was an es350, he was doing 120. i don't think the data was ever pulled from that car and made public, but i live in san diego and know that stretch of highway he was on when they crashed. the section he was on ends down hill and it becomes a T intersection. unfortunately for him and his family, he was driving towards a gorge down hill.

back to topic though, you took my argument too far down a slippery slope. ABS, traction control, etc., are all systems that are extras in driving but create a safer driving experience. what does keyless entry do to make driving safer in modern cars? someone brought up a beater that won't turn off but that's not modern, is it? if push-button ignition came to fruition, it'd be nice to have but i'd much rather turn a key than push a button. keyless entry to me is stupid however i understand the OP's issue of the key going into the thigh, which is why i prefer that switch blade style key that many companies use.
Old 12/30/10, 05:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
you'll probably be watimng then.

but really? you won't buy a car because of the key fob?
Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Guess what - the 2012 GT will also have a VERY antiquated live rear axle. Most of us don't care. Like the key, it has proven to not be detrimental to a great driving experience.
Maybe the three of us are the crazy ones? However, I agree. If Ford handed me a giant skeleton key to start this thing, I couldn't have cared less.
Old 12/30/10, 05:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Old 12/30/10, 08:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by GTOto5point0
Maybe the three of us are the crazy ones? However, I agree. If Ford handed me a giant skeleton key to start this thing, I couldn't have cared less.
LOL. In my case I guess it's because I am old school and/or simply didn't know what I was missing - my '11 GT key is just like most recent keys I've had, except for those where the fob was separate, and then those for which <gasp!> there WAS NO FOB AT ALL!! Oh the humanity - how did people live with and drive cars before remote entry was invented?!?

As for me, I am frankly tickled to have ANY kind of fob action. Give me frickin' lighted vanity mirrors, HomeLink, and 2-zone climate control independent of Nav (for my $41K) before you try to assuage me with a push button for starting.

So maybe I'd see push button start like heated seats - now that I've had them I cannot live without them. But re push-button start: I don't know (or care) what I don't know. And I don't want to know. Ignorance + Apathy = Bliss.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 12/31/10 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12/30/10, 10:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
LOL. In my case I guess it's because I am old school and/or simply didn't know what I was missing - my '11 GT key is just like most recent keys I've had, except for those where the fob was separate, and then those for which <gasp!> there WAS NO FOB AT ALL!! Oh the humanity - how did people live with and drive cars before remote entry was invented?!?

As for me, I am frankly tickled to have ANY kind of fob action. Give me frickin' lighted vanity mirrors, HomeLink, and 2-zone climate control independent of Nav (for my $41K) before you try to assuage me with a push button for starting.

So maybe I'd see keyless entry like heated seats - now that I've had them I cannot live without them. But re push-button start: I don't know (or care) what I don't know. And I don't want to know. Ignorance + Apathy = Bliss.
No fob at all?! Good God man! Next you'll tell me about people who actually had to put a key in a lock to open their car. What barbarism!

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang key fob?