2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2012 GT Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/11, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GT Suspension?

Hey all - so I got my 2012 GT in yesterday. It's great except that the ride is a lot bouncier than I remember any of my test drives. However, I do have the brembo brake package and 3.73 gears on mine which wasn't available to test. I'm also coming from a Camry so I realize the ride is a complete 180.

It feels like the car is shaking or bouncing quite a bit. It feels 'right' on the bumpier street roads, but it doesn't get any better on the smooth parts of the freeway. I feel like I'd be sick driving it for 3 hours. I imagine to some degree I'd get used to it. Ultimately I'm wondering if there is a good way to tell that it's just super tight suspension (and I need to suck it up) vs. something actually wrong with the car.

Thanks!

Last edited by mrdogface; 6/8/11 at 11:59 PM.
Old 6/9/11, 06:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Too much spring rate, not enough Shock rate..

Mine was a little bouncy when it was stock too...
Old 6/9/11, 08:42 AM

So it seems normal for stock? Is it possible to adjust springs/shock appropriately?

If not, what would you recommend I buy? Would I have Ford install it?
Old 6/9/11, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Brembo package is very bouncy. There's a lot you can do... I'd contact Sam Strano to figure out a good shock package for you.
Old 6/9/11, 08:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrdogface
So it seems normal for stock? Is it possible to adjust springs/shock appropriately?

If not, what would you recommend I buy? Would I have Ford install it?
Normal....No adjustments either. You'll need to replace with better parts to cure the ride/handling deficiencies. As Steve said above, Sam is an excellent source. I've been quite happy with the Ford Racing "P" springs (1" drop) and the Tokico Spec D shocks. Rides and handles far better than stock Brembo set-up. There are a million combinations though. Call Sam for best advice on meeting your needs..

http://www.stranoparts.com/
Old 6/9/11, 09:23 AM

OK - thanks. Is it going to get any better on it's own over time or not noticeably so?

So what's the process? Talk to Sam, order the parts, then use my Ford dealership to install them? Or a local mechanic that does other mods/replacements?

Last edited by mrdogface; 6/9/11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 6/9/11, 02:41 PM

Depends on your mechanical know-how, patience, equipment, and access to rent a spring compressor. The stealership seems to quote most people very high balances for such work. Only reason to go with them would be if they possibly warranty the work. Hopefully you have a decent local speedshop that'll charge you a fair rate. If not, I believe I saw a tutorial on shock/spring installation on here somewhere... ah yes. It's over at AFM.

Suspension Install
Old 6/9/11, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

you can do it yourself. if you don't want to drop the car, you can just do shocks and struts. I just put in Koni's on mine a couple of weeks ago. you DEFINITELY need an impact gun. My biggest hangup was I never used a spring compressor before in my life and was very nervous working with it and my buddy had to show me the right way to do it.

You will see your front end dive and floatiness will immediately disappear. Best upgrade yet for me.
Old 6/9/11, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would also say give it a few weeks before you put the final verdict in, if you just got an ordered car in it was tied down on the truck/train which would compress the suspension. it can need a little bit of time to balance back out depending on the transit time
Old 6/9/11, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mrdogface
OK - thanks. Is it going to get any better on it's own over time or not noticeably so?

So what's the process? Talk to Sam, order the parts, then use my Ford dealership to install them? Or a local mechanic that does other mods/replacements?
A stock Brembo suspension GT will get less bouncy feeling after a few thousand miles. Mine at 6,500 miles is much more stable feeling than when new. I still plan to replace the dampers (once the front Koni Sports arrive) but it isn't as urgent today as it was a few months ago. There are stretches of pavement on my daily commute that would make the car would pogo terribly when new. This has calmed down considerably after a few thousand miles.

Suspensions are like spouses - everyone has a different idea of what's best, but we can all agree that your suspension (or spouse) shouldn't make you ill.

...ned.
Old 6/9/11, 05:54 PM

I'm trying to figure it all out quickly since the dealership I bought it from offers a 7 day/250 mile money back guarantee. Considering everything else is fine it would be a bummer (for both parties) for me to return it. Then again, getting sick on long drives takes out some of the fun. It helps to know that there is a little bit of a breaking in process, but it does sound like long term I need to replace the shocks/struts. Any reason not to do that immediately?

I'd prefer not to do it myself as car mechanics are certainly a weakness. Using Yelp brings up a couple local sports tuning mechanics so I'll give them a call tomorrow after I call the dealership (make sure I'm not nullifying the warranty).
Old 6/9/11, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

There's no reason not to replace the shocks/struts now. They will make a hell of a difference.
Old 6/9/11, 11:04 PM
GT Member

wow,

your coming out of a camery.. maybe give it a week or two. then decide.. if it is just to bouncy. maybe some new shocks. koni str!

and i would contact strano as mentioned before..

i think if you are just going to daily drive it, that is some **** good advice..

beers
Old 6/10/11, 07:59 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Air pressure in the tires will help. I dropped mine down to 30 psi as the ride was just too jittery with 35+ psi. At 30 psi, the ride is reasonable, the handling is great, and the wear pattern on the tires appears to be even across the entire tread width.
Old 6/10/11, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Stock Brembo package is very bouncy. There's a lot you can do... I'd contact Sam Strano to figure out a good shock package for you.
IT'S NOT JUST THE BREMBO PACKAGE CARS......... that BOUNCE!!!

All the shock rates for the 2011/2012 Mustang's are Horrid, IMO. My car bounces so much on a nice rolling dip getting on the highway close to my house that the suspension reaches MAX Extension with a loud THUD, just the opposite of why you would need Bump Stops.

My first upgrade later this month will be Tokico D's. I'm suspecting that these on their softest setting will be better than the stock shocks.
Old 6/10/11, 08:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ncoonen
A stock Brembo suspension GT will get less bouncy feeling after a few thousand miles. Mine at 6,500 miles is much more stable feeling than when new.
I have just over 15,000 miles on mine, and it has not changed since day one. You've probably just gotten used to it.

Originally Posted by xlover
i would also say give it a few weeks before you put the final verdict in, if you just got an ordered car in it was tied down on the truck/train which would compress the suspension. it can need a little bit of time to balance back out depending on the transit time
I see you have a 2010 model, but every 2011 model I've ridden in with the stock suspension is bouncy. Take a new 2012 for a test drive and compare.

These cars almost feel like the shocks have gone bad, but they haven't since the car stops the bounce fairly quick, they are simply under tuned on Compression and Rebound.

If you've ever ridden in a newer Volkswagen or Audi, you'll know exactly what I mean. Their stocks springs are still soft, but the shocks on those cars are tuned with high rebound and nominal compression, making for a very controlled and confident ride.
Old 6/10/11, 09:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Keyser_Soze
Depends on your mechanical know-how, patience, equipment, and access to rent a spring compressor. l
Originally Posted by bones302
I never used a spring compressor before in my life and was very nervous working with it and my buddy had to show me the right way to do it.

No need for a spring compressor if you use this technique:

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...tallation.aspx
Old 6/11/11, 06:01 PM

I've also been considering doing the stocks, springs, struts, and dampers from this package. Because I just bought the car the dealership is quoting me about $1,250 for parts, labor, and tax + realignment + the lowering. I'll probably go this route unless it just seems crazy. I'm not really planning on doing the labor one way or the other.

Will let y'all know how it turns out if I get the work done.
Old 6/12/11, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
IT'S NOT JUST THE BREMBO PACKAGE CARS......... that BOUNCE!!!

All the shock rates for the 2011/2012 Mustang's are Horrid, IMO. My car bounces so much on a nice rolling dip getting on the highway close to my house that the suspension reaches MAX Extension with a loud THUD, just the opposite of why you would need Bump Stops.

My first upgrade later this month will be Tokico D's. I'm suspecting that these on their softest setting will be better than the stock shocks.
no, the non brembo cars are floaty and tuned for comfort. The brembo cars are way stiffer. That produces a bouncy feeling on rough surfaces like concrete highways with tarred joints.
Old 6/12/11, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
no, the non brembo cars are floaty and tuned for comfort. The brembo cars are way stiffer. That produces a bouncy feeling on rough surfaces like concrete highways with tarred joints.
Yup...and both are shock related.

Stock cars with soft springs, lots of travel used and inadequate shock rates (typically floaty)

Brembo cars, stiffer springs, shorter travel used and inadequate shock rates. (typically bouncy)

Shocks are about the best mod you can do for either.

Last edited by Modshack; 6/12/11 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 GT Suspension?